Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Another question on shifting (Read 117 times)
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Another question on shifting
06/26/14 at 19:44:36

I've put about seven hundred miles on the bike since purchasing last month (it's at about 3400 now) and the shifting 'clunkiness' is still worrying me a little.

Each upshift seems pretty noisy and I really feel it in my toes.  I've spent a good amount of time reading about shifting on the forum to be sure it's not just a normal variant.  Read some of Clymer's on adjusting the clutch, too.

Also, if I try and shift into 1st gear when slowing down to a stop, it grinds and won't go into 1st unless I'm barely moving; kinda like an ol' VW beetle I had.

I pulled into a neighborhood on my way home today and checked the adjustment at the clutch lever and, sure enough, it was screwed all the way in from the previous owner.  I backed it out a little, rode around and made a couple more tweaks to be sure I'm getting the clutch fully engaged so I think that end is OK.  But it still 'clunks' into each gear.  The clutch doesn't release until the handle is all the way out now after my adjustment.  I liked it better the other way.  Undecided

I'm running Rotella T and the level is good.

Is this just the way these bikes shift?  Kinda loud each time?
Just wanna be sure I'm not harmin' anything.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Re: Another question on shifting
Reply #1 - 06/26/14 at 19:55:11

Yes it clunks a lot.  My understanding is the transmission is supposed to be very reliable.  Try adjusting the shifting rod, perhaps give it a good cleaning.  Make sure the ball joints are free of any grime as well.  You shouldn't be having any problems with the miles you have on it.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Reply #2 - 06/26/14 at 20:27:52

That grinding noise when downshifting to 1st while moving is how the bike trains us not to do that. That's motorcycle talk for 'You're either gonna stop me or get me going again in 2nd'
If you do get it in to 1st, you'll probably hear it whine, with the clutch pulled in... Savages don't care much for 1st gear.

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 06/26/14 at 23:07:13

Think of it,.. as an old VW....  

In fact, think of any motorcycle as an old VW...  
Motorcycles do not have synchromesh transmissions...
They don't like to shift without rolling... they shouldn't be downshifted into any gear before it's time... they shouldn't be forced into gear...

A Savage isn't as smooth as as a Honda... it's way smoother than a Harley...
Once you learn to work with it,... it will become much smoother...

Strangely,... I can feel a difference, when someone else has ridden my bike... and it takes a while to get the smooth cadence back in the tranny...
You have to learn to work with a bike transmission... you don't fight it...

Other than shift lever adjustments, and people bending the shift rod by forcing shifts... Savages don't have shift problems... practically non-existent...

Getting Zen with your bike, is what makes bikes more fun than cars...
They don't do what you demand,... they do what you ask...
Politely... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Gowor
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Poland
Reply #4 - 06/27/14 at 00:38:56

Rev matching and gently pushing the gear lever until it engages, instead of just jamming it into gear helps a lot on the Savage Smiley

Also I think the way the gearbox works is one of the reasons why it's called "Savage" :-D

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #5 - 06/27/14 at 01:38:56

No use having teeth if you don't clean them  Wink

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #6 - 06/27/14 at 03:40:30

With respect, I wouldn't try and put it in first while slowing for a stop. leave it in second and only go into first when stationary or under 5 mph

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
BalingWire

"The savage in
man is never quite
eradicated."
HDT

Wauseon, Ohio
Reply #7 - 06/27/14 at 04:03:44

Another worry assuaged.  My Savage is just being....savage. Smiley

"The satisfactions of manifesting oneself concretely in the world through manual competence have been known to make a man quiet and easy."
Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry Into the Value of Work
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #8 - 06/27/14 at 05:02:47

Excellent responses. Thanks folks. I'll continue on in my savage learning curve.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #9 - 06/27/14 at 12:06:15

Yah, takes time to learn the bike...if you want to hear a bike clunk into gear listen to a Harley...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:25:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Another question on shifting

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.