Send Topic Print
Blue Ridge Parkway (Read 133 times)
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Blue Ridge Parkway
06/26/14 at 16:04:50

Gents:

I wasn't able to get any time off work during this year's dragon; although, I have some time-off to use before the end of summer.  I am contemplating possible road trips.  Is the Blue Ridge Parkway worth the ride?  Is their any parts you really don't want to miss?  Please feel free to comment at your leisure, thanks for your insight.  

Wink

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Blue Ridge Parkway
Reply #1 - 06/26/14 at 19:02:28

I have ridden portions of the Blue Ridge Parkway...and it has great scenery, nice roads.....and too much very slow traffic.  Some folks just crawl along at 25 miles and hour and get a big line of cars behind them, and they don't seem to get the hint and pull over to let folks by.  MMRanch and I had a bit of that on this years trip.  We would pull over....and then wait for those folks to get a head start and then pull out just as the next car was headed up the road.  We didn't get where we were going any faster - but we enjoyed the riding a lot more.

It is not always that way, and on some days we have been able to pass the slow cars as they did not have a long line built up behind them...sometimes you have to pass when there are double yellow lines.....or you will never get around them.

There are plenty of really good roads around the Waynesville and Maggie Valley area - was there a specific area you were considering?

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #2 - 06/26/14 at 19:18:59

Thanks Dave, the slow traffic is a bit of a concern.  I don't have any particular part; although, I suppose the higher elevations would provide the most scenic views.  The tentative final destination is PA and I'm sure their is a lot to see on the way.  Like I mentioned I have to use some vacation and I'm leaning towards going north because it will be a bit cooler compared to staying in the deep south.

IP Logged
RatdogWillie
Serious Thumper

Nostalgia isn't what
it used to be...

Johnstown, PA.
Reply #3 - 06/28/14 at 18:56:57

pg wrote on 06/26/14 at 16:04:50:
Gents:

I wasn't able to get any time off work during this year's dragon; although, I have some time-off to use before the end of summer.  I am contemplating possible road trips.  Is the Blue Ridge Parkway worth the ride?  Is their any parts you really don't want to miss?  Please feel free to comment at your leisure, thanks for your insight.  

Wink
Love  the Blue Ridge Parkway!  U R right about the slow traffic.....RV's and campers....but I used to pull over at the senic overlooks alot.....did alot of hiking and camping in the area......REALLY like Old Rag Top.....would park at Big Meadows and backpack.
Once met a very young couple collecting water out of puddles in the rocks.....they brought a large GLASS bottle of Jack Daniels whiskey....but no water and a full size ax. After dark, i listened as the guy was chopping trees with his ax.....met some other campers that were closer to them....they said they didn't get any sleep because the guy built a 2 story fire....... The next morning, the girl took a dump in the middle of the hiking path and walked off Shocked.... Ah! the great outdoors!

Did you make it to Luray Caverns?...............wonderful place!
http://luraycaverns.com/

What was the best thing before sliced bread?
Why is it called tourist season if we can't shoot them?
How is it possible to have a civil war?
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #4 - 07/06/14 at 07:58:38

Gents:

I just completed a 2250 mile loop from central MS to western Pa.  The 100 miles to and from Asheville, NC was absolutely wonderful.  If you are heading that way or perhaps for next years Dragon Run the Smokey Mountain Express Way was superb.  You can get to nearly everywhere you want to go that route pretty easily as well.  Going from Chattanooga to Asheville it was highway 74 and it has a lot of great scenery through the Cherokee National Forest. 

I saw all kinds of bikes and riders.  I tried to do too many miles per day, averaging about 500.  It didn't leave me with as much time for sight seeing and resting as I should have.  If you are interested in any pics I can put some up.  

Best regards,

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/06/14 at 10:53:57

500 miles a day for over 2200 miles is doing very well.  I would like to see some pics, especially of the areas you noted as being scenic.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #6 - 07/06/14 at 14:30:50

500 a day was to much for me, 400 would have been about right.  I think we can only do 1 pic at a time if it isn't from a third party server.  I just put a couple of them up.

This is just north of Asheville.

P7030041_500x375.jpg

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #7 - 07/06/14 at 14:31:54

The road winding through and over the mountains.

P7040045_500x375.jpg

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #8 - 07/06/14 at 14:32:48

1.5 hours south of Morgantown.

P7010008_500x375.jpg

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #9 - 07/06/14 at 14:33:27

Western PA

P7020021_500x375.jpg

IP Logged
BalingWire

"The savage in
man is never quite
eradicated."
HDT

Wauseon, Ohio
Reply #10 - 07/06/14 at 16:04:11

I've been on the Parkway with a group of buddies from high school daze on our motorcycles, decades ago. We just rode the curves for an hour or so, and got back off. It was really fun!

After I got hitched to the farmer's daughter, my wife and I drove a few dozen miles of it, and again it was very enjoyable, although it isn't nearly as fun to drive in a car.

I'd recommend the hotels along the way. We stayed at Pisgah Inn. www.pisgahinn.com It's government-issue Spartan, but that suits us plain farm folk just fine. (We're just happy to have running water and indoor plumbing, which we didn't have to 2 years after we got married....long story...  Smiley )

"The satisfactions of manifesting oneself concretely in the world through manual competence have been known to make a man quiet and easy."
Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry Into the Value of Work
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #11 - 07/08/14 at 06:44:45

Holy smokes.. 500 miles/day on the savage?? Wow Iron butt indeed!

Thanks for the pics looks fantastic!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:26:25

General CategoryThe Cafe › Blue Ridge Parkway

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.