Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Whew.. well its over...sorta (Read 83 times)
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Whew.. well its over...sorta
06/26/14 at 09:22:51

It seems that folks here on TT must be in the minority... Dems and Pugs get along just fine!!!

I submit that is the case as GOP Elite candidate was unable to yield enough Pug votes and therefore turned to the Dems for votes... and got them. Thus the Tea Party Pug is out ( Chris McDaniel) and Thad Cochrane is official Pug nomination for US senator.

So what does YAHOO say to all of this?
In an improbable ending to a wild race, six-term Sen. Thad Cochran (R) of Mississippi defeated tea party challenger Chris McDaniel in a primary runoff vote – and did so with a critical assist from Democratic voters, many of them African-American.

Now as one who is affected by this.. its not surprising, but it is telling. The TP candidate said that Thad was a closet liberal.. well not even closet.. just a liberal. What more proof is needed?  So the majority Pug voters have been denied their desired nominee.  But what do the Dems get from it?

This is also from Yahoo: but a different writer from The Daily Beast:
So maybe what black voters should be doing in the South is saying to the GOP: your candidates need to not ignore us or we’ll cross party lines and make the man or woman we can’t stomach pay. Cochran not only had to pursue a clearly defined black voter strategy, but he also had to pay for it with campaign resources. And there is no doubt that he had to make political promises to lure support. Derrick Johnson, president of the Mississippi state branch of the NAACP, told me Wednesday on my syndicated radio show that Cochran’s office reached out to him several times. While not endorsing the incumbent, Johnson told them that his top priority in Congress is the re-authorization of the Voting Rights Act, which was severely crippled by the U.S. Supreme Court. Johnson said there isn’t a single Republican sponsor of the bill in the U.S. Senate, and Cochran should be the first. The senator and his staff didn’t commit, but it’s going to be hard for him to back away from a major request when his political life was extended by the very folks Johnson also represents. In fact, Johnson said the presidents of historically black colleges like Jackson State, Alcorn State, Mississippi Valley State, Rust and Tougaloo should be preparing extensive resources requests for Cochran. And he had the same advice for the 81 black mayors across Mississippi

he continues:
Politics is all about leverage, influence and power. It’s about extracting a return on investment for your vote, and for too long, the GOP has ignored black voters, not even making the effort to pursue them. McDaniel made it clear he wasn’t trying to be the U.S. senator for all of Mississippi. He only wanted to go to Washington, D.C., to represent his right-wing constituents.

But black voters, regardless of who they support, are constituents. And whether their preferred candidate wins or loses, they have a right to demand from their representative an array of services. By embracing a “cross-the-line” electoral strategy in the South, black voters could have a major say in which Republican will represent them. And such a plan could force the GOP to come to the table and ask black voters the same thing they ask everyone else, “How can I be of assistance?”

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Whew.. well its over...sorta
Reply #1 - 06/26/14 at 12:34:01

This us why there should be closed primaries....actually, Mississippi is a closed state, (sort of) but you think some election official was going to ask some black liberal who showed up to vote for Cochran to confirm they would support Cochran in the general election according to Mississippi law!? Ha, good luck with that.

It's absolutely pathetic, with a capital P, for Cochran to reach out to Democrats to win a primary. Last I heard, McDaniel had not conceded. I hope he fights it in court.

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #2 - 06/26/14 at 13:11:33

I am hoping Bot will chime in though I realize it has nothing to do with him. I am looking through news threads and pasting them into Word so i can reference them later.

I really liked reading what the Black writer had to say above. What he wrote, if true, is VERY HUGE to folks of MS. What most folks in the US do not know, is that MS and a few other states, up until very recently had no power set their own election laws. Instead everything had to go to Washington for "approval". this lead to rules such as: Once an area achieves minority (Black) representation, it is illegal for for that to EVER revert to white representation. Does the rule say it that way? no, but thats the effect. Sins of the father and all.

If the Pugs that voted for Thad knew (most do not and would not believe it) that Thad traded support for a return to that system in exchange for black votes.. he would not have gotten a single pug vote.  

Here are some more Yahoo news quotes:
“The establishment crossed the line last night,” Craig Shirley, a conservative political consultant and biographer of Ronald Reagan told Yahoo News in an interview Wednesday. “This is a win for the establishment, but it’s a win with an asterisk, because it’s so tainted that it might be one of those things where they’re going to be sorry they ever won the runoff in Mississippi.”

Locally, radio has been force-feed buzz on what the GOP will do to "win back"  conservatives. As long as Chris refuses to concede and make nice, Thad has nothing to offer. So a large chunk of MS voters sit and stew.

So here's what a "SMART" dem party would do. They would split thier money 50/50 between the dem candidate and the INDEPENDENT candidate and hope to draw all those conservatives away from Thad... if would not be hard at all. If all the DEMs do vote Dem, and just half the pugs vote for the independent.. not only will the elite GOP not get Thad... they will loose the Pug held seat for the first time in a half a century. MS will turn blue.  yes its just that bad right now.   Embarrassed

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/26/14 at 14:52:56

Pine; since you are in MS, what's the law when Cochran dies or retires while in office before his term is up; which is a 90% certainty! Does the governor appoint a replacement or is there a special election? I'm guessing Mississippi governor is Rep but not sure.

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #4 - 06/27/14 at 07:17:23

WebsterMark wrote on 06/26/14 at 14:52:56:
Pine; since you are in MS, what's the law when Cochran dies or retires while in office before his term is up; which is a 90% certainty! Does the governor appoint a replacement or is there a special election? I'm guessing Mississippi governor is Rep but not sure.

YES! EXACTLY... and i will BET money that will be the case (retire), in fact it has been suggested and pretty much not even debated that:
Thad did not want to run... which is why he was so late in doing so
Thad was very much pressured by his lobbist/manager Haley Barbour do to so
Thad got more than ONE MILLION DOLLARS from Washington elite.. that is politicians and lobbists.. none of that millionwas from folks IN MS..
When Thad retires he gets to keep any and ALL that money for himself.
While the gov and Haley do not always agree.. the gov knows the policitcal might of Haley Barbour... he will appoint who-ever Barbour darn well tells him or be killed from any further political future.
Currently bets are that Greg Harper (R) Rankin County or his son will get the job.
Yes this is very real.. Haley does not give one flip about Thad as a senator.. if Haley could paint Thad as a cross-dressing pedofile and win .. then he would do it. Its not about Thad being senator.. its about Haley picking his successor. That is why there was no limit to how dirty Haley/Thad was willing to get... no promise was too.. much, Thad will never have to keep them.

Too me its very sad ( for Thad) I truley think at one time Thad was a good guy. But he sold his soul long ago. He has very little choice and no voice in what is done in his name.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 06/27/14 at 08:54:48

Well,... since you asked...  I'll comment...
...but, I'm on a TT diet...  decided to feed my brain with healthier choices...

Anyway...
Arizona has closed primaries... and I have even considered changing my party preference, just so that I could vote against some of these idiots...
I know it's sorta' gaming the system, but it's my vote... I can do what I want with it...
Most elections,.. I'm voting to keep people out of office, more than elect the one I'm voting for anyway...
That's the nature of politics today...
All a politician has to be,.. is not the other guy...  Huh...

The strong Republican foothold in the southeastern states is surprising, considering the populace...
I'm sure if all MS residents voted,.. the state would be Democrat....
... but, poor and minority, tend to vote less...
Conservatives argue that this is a good thing, because these people are stupid, and don't deserve a vote...  (all the whilst, calling liberals elitists)...

Apparently, Thad, got big Repub party monies... while his opponent got big TP Koch monies...
Dem's get their money, too...
You ain't really voting for a person anymore, in any political arena...
... just choosing which money is the least dirty....
Rep's... Military industrial complex, Pharma, NRA, oil...
Tea Party,... Koch industries, other privateer billionaires looking for tax breaks...
Dems... Unions, lawyers, social services, educators,...

Don't vote for the best man,... don't even vote for the ideals you support...
Just vote against those people that want you to suffer for their gain...

Cynical?... Me?.... Grin Grin Grin...

No attacks or challenges please...  I'm not really participating...
So I won't be responding back...

Peace,
Serow  Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 06/27/14 at 09:40:40

...but, I'm on a TT diet...  decided to feed my brain with healthier choices...

.....too good to condescend to the likes of us or just tired of, metaphorically speaking, getting your a$$ handed to you?!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 06/27/14 at 10:14:20

Both... Grin...

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 06/27/14 at 11:16:22

Webster just got his post deleted. He can't allow one post without personal insult...
Bye y'all...
-Serow

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #9 - 06/27/14 at 11:27:01

Apparently, Thad, got big Repub party monies... while his opponent got big TP Koch monies...
Dem's get their money, too...
You ain't really voting for a person anymore, in any political arena...
... just choosing which money is the least dirty....
Rep's... Military industrial complex, Pharma, NRA, oil...
Tea Party,... Koch industries, other privateer billionaires looking for tax breaks...
Dems... Unions, lawyers, social services, educators,...

Don't vote for the best man,... don't even vote for the ideals you support...
Just vote against those people that want you to suffer for their gain...

Actually.. I have been this for 20 years. And is what I did here too. I wasn't sooo much for Chris, as I was against.. not Thad himself.. but his handlers. Against the very actions - that ended up getting Thad elected. Do I "blame" democrats? of course not.. I do blame Haley.

PS: One of the persons, " a local Tea party Leader" ( I am dubious of that) was found dead in his home of an apparent suicide. He had been connected to the scandal of those taking Thads wife, photo. ( She is in a nursing home with dementia). Again.. who do I blame... Haley. So in "amurika" people have died due to the tactics of this election.
As Paul Harvey use to say "its not one world".

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 06/27/14 at 11:41:10

Serowbot wrote on 06/27/14 at 11:16:22:
Webster just got his post deleted. He can't allow one post without personal insult...
Bye y'all...
-Serow

Bull hockey!!! I said he was arrogant and whipped. That after he insulted us all with his "feed his brain with healthier choices" comment.   My comment was no worse than his comment yet I do t have the magic delete key!

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 06/27/14 at 11:45:46

Pine, all of which proves the point: absolute power corrupts absolutely.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 21:45:21

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Whew.. well its over...sorta

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.