Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Top speed? (Read 361 times)
Ap5112

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Top speed?
06/23/14 at 18:24:29

Curious on your guys top speed it seems as if If I'm doing 70 to 80 it's about topped out reving pretty high is this normal or is there something wrong? P. S.  Yes I'm in 5th gear Wink oh and I rejetted and put on cone filter and new exhaust

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Re: Top speed?
Reply #1 - 06/23/14 at 18:45:25

Quote:
70 to 80 it's about topped out

Yep, that's what I got as well.  I usually cruise at 70 on the super slab, but it would be nice to be able to bust it 90 if you had to.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Bob Davis
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 06/23/14 at 18:52:52

I have a stock 2002 and it'll cruise at 75mph.  80mph is the highest I've had it and it seemed like it didn't want to go much higher.  That's with all of my 220lbs.

IP Logged
Ap5112

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/23/14 at 19:03:03

Yea  im 135lbs and yea I'm not really trying to go that fast all the time just from time to time my fellow riding buddy's like to get on it.  I've just heard that people are doing 90 no problem so I was a little confused like maybe something is wrong with my bike but it seems I'm not the only one.  I also heard the chain conversion would give me more top end?

IP Logged
Ap5112

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/23/14 at 19:10:02

If we only had 6 gears Smiley

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 06/23/14 at 19:20:45

85 uphill is where I top out
rejetted stock w/sporty

WWW   IP Logged
wolfsgrin

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bentonville, AR
Reply #6 - 06/23/14 at 19:58:44

90mph stock and not kidding 2nd week I got the bike took off after work one night and did 90 all the way to Joplin, Mo about 1hr and half drive there. No other cars on the freeway till I pulled into Joplin. Even hit up to 95mph on the downhills.  Lucky me the next day I noticed the saddle bag bracket bolt on the inside of fender was bent in towards the tire. I had a 1/4 deep groove all around the new tire.

IP Logged
Ap5112

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 06/23/14 at 20:02:57

See well why is it some can do 90 no problem and others can only do 70 makes no sense

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #8 - 06/23/14 at 20:29:07

Some stock bikes will top out between 85 to 90 mph, more likely about 87mph. This may depend on tyres a little, we are told the 140/90 15 will make the speedo more accurate. What happens after "tuning" "remufflerisng" and "jetting" could be any bodies guess, sometimes these things help sometimes they don't.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
clearush

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deer Park,TX
Reply #9 - 06/23/14 at 21:35:18

Which cone filter, there are some that have a inside lip that block the bypass on the intake side of the carb and actually cause an artificial top speed in the low 70's.

Best I've done is 91 on a flat straight.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 06/23/14 at 22:00:10

I got up to 94mph... on a long stretch, trying to catch my friends that took off on a ride I thought I couldn't make...
Never caught them...
... and 94, is not a speed you want to go on this bike for more than minute or two...
...(my bike is slightly modded, I'm 145lbs, and I was tucked in like paint)... (/90 rear tire is fairly accurate,.. super dry air here helps)...
Suzuki says 88mph top...

I did finally meet up with them, 75 miles down the road at a cafe'...
Since then,... I've never pushed that hard...
I can hit 85 pretty easy... that's good enough...

Can't afford the ticket anyway... Huh...

Gearing won't help... you can hit top speed in 4th gear....
It takes more HP to top out 5th...
If you can't hit 80mph,.. your mods have reduced power...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Reply #11 - 06/23/14 at 22:35:30

90mph(barely), wind shield off, tucked in. I took about 20 seconds of WOT before the needle hit 90.

I forgot to gas up for that test run, and she ran out of gas at 90. At that speed, WOT, with no fuel, the engine becomes a brake. Oh boy, fun times, I was straddling the tank for a (long) 2 or 3 seconds before I thought it would be a good idea to squeeze the clutch.

Considering the accuracy of our stock "Pants on Fire(TM)" speedo, I'd say 87mph is about right.  

That was a couple of weeks ago...since then, I've been pondering the Lancer cam/96mm bore/vm36+ufo idea.

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
Bentnotbroken
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 06/24/14 at 04:30:38

My completely stock 2013 hit 93 once down a slight hill. It wasn't so comfortable! 75-80 with ease however. 70 down the interstate is pretty comfortable, except for knowing you have little juice left should you want speed up.

I've been debating on 0-60 time with my buddy - I think it's faster than 8.7 seconds but don't have a radar gun to really determine.

IP Logged
copterdoc

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

South of North.
Reply #13 - 06/24/14 at 04:45:40

I have owned and raced many bikes and jet skis over the years, heavy on the skis. If there is one thing that I have learned is this, Never trust a speedometer!  the gps doesn't lie. I can't tell you how many "90 mph" Yamaha's and Kawasaki's I destroyed with my 78 mph sea-doo RXP (supercharged, custom ECM, 285 HP) I hit 84 on thee gps on my RYCA S40 pretty quick, it might have had a little let if I would have wrung it out a little more. All bikes start off pretty good from the factory, but tire size changes, etc throw off the accuracy of the speedos.

2000 S40 RYCA conversion built in 2011.
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #14 - 06/24/14 at 08:14:05

Since all 2-wheel speedometers are inaccurate, I installed the Ulysse GPS Speedometer on my android phone to see how fast my 150cc scooter would go.  It's a pretty cool free app that will record your top speed so you can leave it in your pocket and just check it later.
When the speedo on my scooter shows 65, my GPS speed is 60.  That's not bad.
I'm gonna check my S40 with it, too.

Motorcycle speedos have to be 'optimistic' because it's against the law for a speedo to read slower than your actual speed.  And since bikes use the edges of the tires and not just the max diameter, speedos have to read 'optimistic'.  That's true of speedos that read from the front wheel, anyway.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:21:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Top speed?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.