Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Test drove a Dyna Low Rider... (Read 153 times)
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Test drove a Dyna Low Rider...
06/22/14 at 03:07:05

...and "Saw the Light!"  Cheesy

Oh, wow !

I mean, I expected something heavy, burdensome... something to wrestle with when not cruising down a 6-lane boulevard...

Nope ...  Roll Eyes

OK, the Dyna IS a heavy, cumbersome bike at any speed below... walking pace...
...but once I opened the throttle (veeery politely  Wink ) and clunked into 2nd gear, she turned into a rather different animal !
Cheesy
Exactly what I hoped to have in a... 2-cylinder Savage !  Grin

She purred her way from the lights all the way to 50-55mph in 4th gear;
my #1 concern on the small country back roads is that I was wary of leaning too much into the bends, and had teenagers on 125cc scooters honk and yell at me
(typical Haqrley rider, can't even take a bend!) (I have to say, with the Savage I am much more uninhibited!  Grin)

https://www.google.it/maps/dir/41.8646581,12.5423583/41.8666264,12.5416754/41...

I rode along the back roads that were my daily routine when I had a NATO job here in Rome, so I knew them well;
I ther ran up the ramps to the local 6-laner to ride back to the showroom... 70mph in 6th gear at 2000rpm...

Sweeet...

Can't stand the tank-mounted instrumentation, though... I can live with a tank-mounted speedo, but I hated having to look down at my crotch to read the tacho !!!  Tongue

Next time I'll have to talk them into test ridint a Softail Heritage... Kiss or maybe a Road King !!!   Cool

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Test drove a Dyna Low Rider...
Reply #1 - 06/22/14 at 05:16:25

Having the instruments on the fuel tank is a big issue for me.  Even the one on the Savage required me to take my eyes off the road and tilt my helmet down to read the speedo......and the turn signal indicator can't ever get your attention when the bottom of my helmet hides it.

MMRanch has been ridng his 883 Sportser with us on this Dragon Trip.  He has a larger fuel tank and his speedo is up on the handelbars - and it is doing a great job of leading us around the Lynchburg area.  Today he and I are headed over to the BlueRidge area and he has 2 saddlebags, a large bag over the rear fender, a bag on the handlebars, and one on the forks.....the thing is a Pack Mule....but still looks good doing it!

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #2 - 06/22/14 at 07:08:31

At the showroom they had two 1200cc Sportsters on sale, a 2009 with 21" front wheel for €9000, and a new 2014 with 5.00x16 front and rear, for €12000.

The used Sporty also has a windshield and huge saddlebags on both sides, but I'm wary of a really skinny front 21".

The new Sporty has 5.00x16" front and rear (really look beefy!) but is otherwise... naked...

Anyone ever tried a cruiser with a 21" front ? What's the point ?

(and anyway... if I had to squeeze a 3rd bike in my already tight garage, she'd be an Electra Glide...)

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #3 - 06/22/14 at 07:51:56

mpescatori wrote on 06/22/14 at 07:08:31:

Superior handling. The narrow tread and low profile sidewall respond much more readily to steering inputs.

I've been lucky enough to compare several times in several models, back to back, the same chassis and power train with 21 and 16 front wheels. The bike with a 21 was faster, lighter, could be tossed around 20mph curves at near 60mph, got better fuel economy... did not matter if it was an old Panhead, a Softail, a VN800 or a Shadow. The bike with a 21" front tire consistently outperformed the slow, sluggish handling, yet smoother riding, bikes with 16" front tires.

I keep hoping Lisa will upgrade from her VS800 to something decent to look at and ride. I'd really like to run the 800's complete front end (21" front wheel, better fork springs, better brake caliper, bar mounted speedometer) on my 03 Savage.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #4 - 06/22/14 at 15:03:35

Quote:
the Dyna

Pesci, how's that compare to the beemer you have?

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #5 - 06/22/14 at 16:16:18

If you want a real sweet surprise, take a test ride on an 883 Super Low.  In my opinion, the finest bike that HD currently makes, and one of the most pleasant to ride.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 06/22/14 at 20:20:02

Here is MMRanch's bike.  It is a good looking bike, handles well under his control, and hauls a weekends worth of gear.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #7 - 06/23/14 at 13:20:18

I've wanted to test a Dyna for a while.  I test drove a Softail Fat Boy Lo.  It is a sweet ride, very smooth and responsive.  Not the most powerful thing out there, but it'll get you going.  However, I was scraping the floorboards in a standard left turn.

Just food for thought.

EDIT:  I got curious and looked it up. The difference in lean angle between the Dyna and the Fat boy lo is approx. 5 degrees for the 2014 models.

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
red12049
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 07/13/14 at 08:38:40

Huh.  Been away for a while...

This thread held particular interest for me, as I acquired a 1984 FXRT and have recently started riding it.  Was a bit afraid, as I'm closing in on 65, short, and have had cancer a few times, so strength is not my best point, but...

For me, it's been a great experience.  Handles better, rides better, better riding position and that torque is ADDICTING!!!

That said, I have to be smarter about some things, such as parking.  Can't just paddle this one out of a slightly uphill parking space like I could the Savage.

I'm still riding both bikes (at different times, of course) so will continue to compare.

Rick

003small.jpg
  IP Logged
jman

Central Wisconsin
Reply #9 - 07/13/14 at 08:57:05

Next time try test-riding a Triumph Thunderbird Storm.  You won't be disappointed.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 07/13/14 at 11:24:36

WD wrote on 06/22/14 at 07:51:56:
mpescatori wrote on 06/22/14 at 07:08:31:

Superior handling. The narrow tread and low profile sidewall respond much more readily to steering inputs.

I've been lucky enough to compare several times in several models, back to back, the same chassis and power train with 21 and 16 front wheels. The bike with a 21 was faster, lighter, could be tossed around 20mph curves at near 60mph, got better fuel economy... did not matter if it was an old Panhead, a Softail, a VN800 or a Shadow. The bike with a 21" front tire consistently outperformed the slow, sluggish handling, yet smoother riding, bikes with 16" front tires.

I keep hoping Lisa will upgrade from her VS800 to something decent to look at and ride. I'd really like to run the 800's complete front end (21" front wheel, better fork springs, better brake caliper, bar mounted speedometer) on my 03 Savage.

Don't push her too hard,she might replace you.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 07/14/14 at 08:23:13

She wants a "real" motorcycle for real rides, and to keep her "cartoon" bike for back road goof off sessions. Going to try and get her to test a 1300 Star tourer... since she insists on liquid cooling for this climate.

I'm actively looking for an affordable VN1500 for myself. Nothing a 21" front wheel conversion won't fix where that platform is concerned. The mid-south is not aircooled bike friendly.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 02:14:05

General CategoryThe Cafe › Test drove a Dyna Low Rider...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.