Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lithium Battery on Muffler Bracket (Read 113 times)
BalingWire

"The savage in
man is never quite
eradicated."
HDT

Wauseon, Ohio
Lithium Battery on Muffler Bracket
06/21/14 at 11:40:17

shorty wrote on 06/12/14 at 16:07:20:
[...] so I put a small lithium battery on the muffler bracket and tossed that whole stock assembly.

I'm contemplating the same thing. The Ballistic 8 Cell EVO2 battery http://www.ballisticparts.com/products/batteries/8cell.php is tiny, only 4.5" (L) x 2.5" (W) x 4.25" (H). I think it would look really cool to have that whole area behind the engine open—like the minimalistic "brat" bike "Looky" with the skateboard fender. http://www.bikermetric.com/suzuki-s40-boulevard-brat-looky-looky-machine-13/ 

My questions are as follows:

1. How does the battery do with the extra water and dirt being less protected, closer to the road?

2. Is heat from a proximate muffler a problem?  I'd hate to melt it. Lips Sealed

hidden_lithium.jpg

"The satisfactions of manifesting oneself concretely in the world through manual competence have been known to make a man quiet and easy."
Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry Into the Value of Work
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Re: Lithium Battery on Muffler Bracket
Reply #1 - 06/21/14 at 12:13:33

I am doing the same thing after this riding season.... I already have the smaller lith-ion battery installed and testing it for durability ( I bought an off brand one).
When riding season is over in October I will start my disassembly and relocations.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #2 - 06/27/14 at 05:04:53

Does anyone have an instructional, set of pictures or video?
I'm getting bored and am seriously thinking of not waiting to do this mod until after riding season.
Besides, my garage isn't heated and I don't work well in the cold...LOL Tongue

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #3 - 06/27/14 at 06:36:31

Boule'tard posted this how-to some time ago, and I used it to base my mod.  As he does it, the battery terminal leads were lengthened.  I was able to leave my wiring stock by simply relocating a few things.

Here's the link:  http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1259644714

As for batteries, Boule'tard used a Motocross YTZ7S.  I used the Batteries+ store brand equivalent.  These are absorbed glass mat batteries.  They do OK, but you'll get more amperage from a lithium ion.  Ballistics are good, but you need a special charger.  EarthX batteries come with an special charging circuit installed, so you can use any charger.  I plan on getting an EarthX when my AGM dies.  This is a decent read: http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1359344880/15

My mod differed from Boule'tard's in a few ways.  He welded threaded stock to the strap iron.  I opted to use carriage bolts.  Although I didn't have to weld them, it still required a bit of ingenuity.  I also only made 3 sides on my box.  The battery is insulated by some cut up bicycle inner tubes, and it's held in by 2 zip ties in the back.  I check it frequently, and I've never seen any damage from it's environment.  Surprisingly, it doesn't even get too muddy.

I can post a few pics that might help now.  When I'm home in a few days, I can offer more.

A side peek:

Looking down from the left side of the bike.  The positive lead is the one by the swingarm:

The negative lead was relocated here.  The hardware was one of the battery box mount bolts with part of the washer ground flat:

The solenoid's new location - a small bracket cut from the side of the airbox.  I did this to keep the side covers:

Outside view of the solenoid hardware.  They are just some nuts I had lying around that fit:

The other half of the airbox I cut roughly 3 inches deep.  I've been meaning to try my hand at fiberglass.  I think this could make a handy toolbox/emergency kit compartment:

This is how she looks all closed up:

I hope this helps.   Wink

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #4 - 06/27/14 at 07:19:05

SWEET!!! Exactly what I want to do when my big battery dies! THanks!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:19:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Lithium Battery on Muffler Bracket

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.