Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Quick and dirty way to check the decompressor (Read 63 times)
Gowor
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Poland
Quick and dirty way to check the decompressor
06/18/14 at 13:16:14

Since I just took my Savage from the workshop, and since I've yet to meet a mechanic who knows how to set the decompressor, I decided to recheck it, and I think I found a fast and easy way, without removing the gas tank or engine covers:

-Remove the timing port cover
-Crank the engine until the grooves indicate TDC. I can say whether I'm on the exhaust or compression stroke by how hard it is to turn the engine (on compression TDC I can feel the compressed air pushing back, on the exhaust TDC there's less resistance, because the valves are open).
-Push the decompressor magnet by hand and check how far the shaft extends - should be 3-5mm.
-Adjust the nuts on the cable (it can actually be done without removing the engine cover) until it's OK.
-Give the engine a full rotation and recheck on the other TDC. On the exhaust stroke the valves are lower, so there will be more play on the electromagnet. So whichever position gives me less movement of the electromagnet, it's the correct one (compression TDC).

So... is this a good way to check it, or am I missing something and I can damage something checking it like this?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Quick and dirty way to check the decompressor
Reply #1 - 06/18/14 at 14:16:59

Gowor wrote on 06/18/14 at 13:16:14:
-Adjust the nuts on the cable (it can actually be done without removing the engine cover) until it's OK.

What is OK?

I basically adjust it by ear... yes, it's a trained ear.   Cheesy
Too tight and it takes a long time to start.
Too loose and it may stall, but will start on the 1st power pulse.   Shocked
Just tight enough and it'll start on the second power pulse (4th rev)   Cool

Given what you've said and what I've done, I might consider...
1. set to TDC.
2. manually pulling in solenoid.
3. adjust cable to be taunt and add 1/2 turn.
4. check by starting.

To work, these types of solenoids have to have a lot of free travel.
All the power is near end of travel.

WWW   IP Logged
Gowor
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Poland
Re: Quick and dirty way to check the decompressor
Reply #2 - 06/18/14 at 21:34:14

Until what I'm adjusting (the electromagnet travel) is OK Smiley

Mostly I wondered if finding a compression stroke by feel is correct, and if I can do the adjustment without removing the spark plug and valve covers. Clymer suggests removing them, and guides on this forum mention removing at least the gas tank, so I wanted to be sure.

The slack was set to 0 (I could barely move the electromagnet) - I had a feeling it would be that way and wanted to check it quickly Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 20:22:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Quick and dirty way to check the decompressor

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.