Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Stalling during Deceleration (Read 178 times)
luckylouie82

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Richardson Texas
Stalling during Deceleration
06/18/14 at 10:45:28

Hello forum.  I'm new to the Suzuki Savage and based on my luck in the last year wth two clunker bikes I'm starting to wonder if God just doesn't want me to ride!

So I bought a 2011 S40 from a dealer having only seen pictures.  bike looked pristine and only had 1600 miles.  I read up on the backfire issues some folks have had and thought thats nothing a turn of the pilot screw can fix.  

When I got the bike I noticed the brass cap to the pilot screw was already removed, presumably by previous owner.  So I decided to ride it. Maybe they already fixed the lean issue.  Anyway they may have done more harm than good if they did work on it.  The symptoms are as follows.

Cold start, bike will idle fine and smooth.  Start ridingafter warming up a minute or two. no trouble.  Coming up to a stop, travelling 40 to 50mph, pull in clutch, decelerating...dies...restart, won't idle, have to twist throttle to keep it alive.  Get bike home and I go through the song and dance of adjusting pilot screw to find highest idle.  adjust idle speed to a nice even putputput (No tach so rpm is a guess).  Shut her down.  Next morning I think I've got things fixed....and the same situation!  Almost like a gremlin is sneaking into my garage and resetting what I'd done.  I'm wondering if idle speed too low? petcock fried? The only thing I know it's not for sure is pilot mixture.  Any guidance would be appreciated.

2011 S40 Raptor petcock. idle screw 2 turns out
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Stalling during Deceleration
Reply #1 - 06/18/14 at 10:48:56

Common issue,, try raising the idle speed first,
& try letting off the gas slowly instead of just letting it slap shut as ya grab the clutch,, If that works, fer shure its a low idle, It goes lean when the gas slaps shut,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Beagle

1998 Suzuki Savage

Ohio
Reply #2 - 06/18/14 at 10:55:48

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/18/14 at 10:48:56:
Common issue,, try raising the idle speed first,
& try letting off the gas slowly instead of just letting it slap shut as ya grab the clutch,, If that works, fer shure its a low idle, It goes lean when the gas slaps shut,

Yes, setting the idle speed up will probably fix the problem.

IP Logged
luckylouie82

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Richardson Texas
Reply #3 - 06/18/14 at 10:56:19

OK I'll update this evening.  I guess I really don't have a good ear for rpm speed.  I thought idle might have been a little too high already.  Hopefully that's all it is.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #4 - 06/18/14 at 12:12:39

luckylouie82 wrote on 06/18/14 at 10:56:19:
OK I'll update this evening.  I guess I really don't have a good ear for rpm speed.  I thought idle might have been a little too high already.  Hopefully that's all it is.

Your bike should run down a level street in first gear at about 9-10 mph with the throttle closed if the idle speed is approximately correct. A little too high is better than too low.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 06/18/14 at 13:15:20

The last thing ya want, & the last thing youll GET, outta this motor is a lumpy idle. The oil pressure drops so low at lower RPMs that the cam is starved for oil & it will eat the head & head cover cam passage up. The head & cover ARE the cam bearing surfaces. So, yea, a little high on idle rpm is better than any too low,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
luckylouie82

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Richardson Texas
Reply #6 - 06/19/14 at 05:35:48

Ok.  Just for full disclosure, the two bikes I've had previously were a 78 Yamaha triple and a 92 Nighthawk 750.  So I only have those two for comparison.  

So yesterday I worked 8 hours.  Bike sat in the parking lot in the Texas sun.  Turned up idle a bit.  Started it up "cold" and she ran beautifully all the way home.  Sat in the garage over night and this morning on the way to work the same thing happened that I described before.  I tried letting the throttle go slowly, but that didn't work.

In addition, bike only seems to do this within the first ten minutes of riding.  And this morning, just for giggles I switched the petcock to prime after it stalled and it seemed to run a little better.

Does the brain trust still think idle too low?  I would have thought petcock except it didn't effect it before.  I'm pretty confident pilot screw is spot on.  Could it simply be I'm not giving it enough time to warm up?  After sitting for 16 hours I let it warm up for 2 minutes or so.  More than I did for the two previous bikes I had and in the afternoon after work it needed virtually no warmup time.  

If low idle still thought to be the culprit.  Does anyone have a resource to let me know what a proper idle should sound like?  Like I said, only two bikes before this one and it feels like I'm already idling this bike higher than the other two.

Thanks for your help everyone!

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #7 - 06/19/14 at 06:02:17

Quote:
Your bike should run down a level street in first gear at about 9-10 mph with the throttle closed if the idle speed is approximately correct.. ..

Did you try this ? If a bike with a warmed up engine will do this your idle speed is OK and your problem is likely something else.

Normal idle sounds about like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yEc8Dsh374

IP Logged
luckylouie82

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Richardson Texas
Reply #8 - 06/19/14 at 07:08:49

Ok, I'll experiment with that this afternoon.  

I almost think that bike is still cold in the morning and choking itself out.  Otherwise why am I not really having issues when riding home in the afternoon?  

How long do these bikes take to warm up?  It's idling fine with no choke before I get going in the morning.  But maybe it's not ready for any speed???

This is new to me with my other bikes, even though they were carb'd ran almost like fuel injection.  Unless it was cold outside, (sub70's)  I could just fire em up and go.  I if it's a characteristic of the bike, I can live with it.  Just don't want to ignore a possible problem.  Or try to create one that doesn't exist!

IP Logged
luckylouie82

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Richardson Texas
Reply #9 - 06/19/14 at 07:09:54

Oh and thanks for the video.  I THINK I'm pretty close based on that sound.

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #10 - 06/19/14 at 07:35:51

I vote petcock...
just switch out to this raptor one and you'll be fine...easy fix.
Make sure you get the real Yamaha one and not the knock-off one...

5LP-24500-01-00 part #

http://www.ronayers.com/FUEL-TANK--C469576.aspx

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
luckylouie82

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Richardson Texas
Reply #11 - 06/19/14 at 09:08:02

If it was the petcock, would it work intermittently? to reiterate bike doesn't seem to have issues in the afternoon when I ride home.  If it is the petcock is there any advantage to buying the Raptor than keeping the current one on prime?

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #12 - 06/19/14 at 09:17:56

Only advantage is that if you leave it on prime you don't have reserve any more.
The vac petcock is a bummer anyway...it causes all sorts of weirdness as far as troubleshooting. You'll have to install the Raptor one and then block off the vac port on the carb.
I used a small screw and then covered it with a rubber piece from a wire kitchen rack foot...lol

p.s. i also only had trouble when it was cold in the morning...did the raptor mod after I owned it for a month and no issues since...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
luckylouie82

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Richardson Texas
Reply #13 - 06/19/14 at 09:47:51

Awesome, that might be my solution then.  Thanks so much for your time and help.  

Tell me this, would a good test as to whether the petcock is the culprit be to run it on prime from the start in the morning?

The Raptor isn't vaccum, so I'd need to remember to turn fuel off when parked or risk flooding?

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #14 - 06/19/14 at 10:02:17

yep, that's what I'd do...
Unless your carb float is messed up you shouldn't have problems with forgetting to shut off the carb but it's a habit i've always had so it's kind of automatic for me...good habit to have tho'...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:22:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stalling during Deceleration

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.