Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Greetings all !   Savage newbe here.  I'm stumped. (Read 253 times)
Savatage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greetings all !   Savage newbe here.  I'm stumped.
06/17/14 at 22:53:02

Hello everyone.  
I have been a silent member since I picked up an  86 Savage this past winter.
This website has been a great resource and I hope to get some feedback on an issue I'm having.
 The problem is that when I hit the starter I can hear and see the decomp unit working but it will just click and click and then the starter catches and the bike will start, though I think it needs some carb work so it stalls out.
I am not too concerned about the engine staying running at this point since I think I can fix that without too much aggravation.  However, this starting thing is driving me crazy!
So far I have cleaned all the contacts, purchased a new battery, a new solenoid and even a new starter.  All to no avail.  Today I checked the continuity of the start switch which was fine.
I also found that if I jump across the solenoid it cranks the motor ok.
So now I wonder if the decomp unit has something to do with this, but if it does I don't know what.
I really like this bike. I've had other bikes but being a 5'4" man none have fit me as well
as this
I would love to get the bike running this summer so that this winter I can possibly bob it,
or maybe even spring for the RYCA cafe kit.
At any rate I sure would appreciate some help.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Greetings all !   Savage newbe here.  I'm stum
Reply #1 - 06/17/14 at 23:14:23

check your battery cables, contacts and wires... maybe one's broken.

WWW   IP Logged
roadwarrior
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 06/18/14 at 05:48:56

hiya i would make sure you def have a good battery as they do need power to turn em over well. then put the engine in tdc position and then check the decomp cable for too much slack and that it sits home properly. simply loosen the lock nut and then wind the cable out till nearly all the slack is taken out. then try it again. also check your earth cables ect

IP Logged
roadwarrior
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/18/14 at 06:02:04

here is my savage and finaly sorted the backfire and dog fart issue too lol runs great now

You have to upload your pic, can't link to your hard drive.

« Last Edit: 06/18/14 at 08:27:18 by verslagen1 »  
  IP Logged
Savatage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/18/14 at 08:03:52

Thanks for the input.
The battery is brand new and fully charged and I have checked all relevant connectors.
I will adjust the decomp unit as suggested and go from there.
I'll let you know how it goes.  Again, many thanks!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 06/18/14 at 08:28:28

The decomp cable does not need to be tight.
check the tech section for instructions.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 06/18/14 at 08:49:19

You can look at the decomp lever & see if its working before ya go pulling hair to adjust. You can also manually lift it & see how the bike acts & prove whether thats the problem or not. You lift, things work right, then, there ya go. You lift, still dont wanna crank,, well,, you do the math.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Savatage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 06/21/14 at 06:11:23

OK.  I just got a chance to look at the bike again.
I pulled the spark plug which should let the starter spin easily and I still have the same problem.  In addition to the decomp clicking I can also hear a click coming from the decomp solenoid.  Now I'm wondering if I can bypass the decomp unit altogether and see if the starter will at least try to turn the motor over.  If it does then I know my problem is with the decomp solenoid.  Anyone know how to bypass it? Or how to make a manual decomp?   Thanks

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #8 - 06/21/14 at 07:44:26

Savatage wrote on 06/21/14 at 06:11:23:
OK.  I just got a chance to look at the bike again.
I pulled the spark plug which should let the starter spin easily and I still have the same problem.  In addition to the decomp clicking I can also hear a click coming from the decomp solenoid.  Now I'm wondering if I can bypass the decomp unit altogether and see if the starter will at least try to turn the motor over.  If it does then I know my problem is with the decomp solenoid.  Anyone know how to bypass it? Or how to make a manual decomp?   Thanks

If the starter won't spin the engine with the plug out I doubt that your problem is in the decomp solenoid Taking the plug out does essentially the same thing as the decop - it lowers the compression so the motor spins easier.

Does the starter TRY to turn the motor when you hit the start button, or does it do nothing?

I just reread your first post. You said that the starter works OK if you jump across the terminals on the starter solenoid.

I think you still have a wiring problem, or possibly a defective decompression controller. The signal to the starter solenoid actually comes from there. If you have a Clymers manual there is a schematic, and a procedure for testing the decomp controller starting on page 244. I don't know how often these devices go bad though.

An '86 also has a part called a starter solenoid controller in the wiring diagram that isn't on the newer bikes. I can't figure out from the schematic what it does and I can't find any mention of it in the text. Hopefully someone with an older bike knows what it does/where it is.

I'd recheck all the plug together connectors under the tank and the connections on the starter solenoid before I went any further though.

IP Logged
roadwarrior
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 06/21/14 at 11:23:37

yup i agree if your problem was too much compression then this would be cured with taking the plug out as then there would be no compression. its definatly a wiring problem maybe bad earth or a live wire earthing out under the battery tray ect i would remove the battery and holder so you can check down the wires properly. if none of that works then maybe a dodgy solonoid unit. also unplug clean and tighten contacts. and dont forget to hold the clutch in lol (just in case you have never run it lol) also just under the seat on the right hand side as you sit on it,there is a little white fuse holder and one of those fuses is for the starter motor. worth a check bud  Wink

IP Logged
roadwarrior
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 06/21/14 at 11:25:33

the fuse holder has  a little cover on it and at first glance just looks like a relay. if that fuse is popped then it still sounds like the starter is trying but it wont engage. 2x 20amp fuses is all there is bud Wink

IP Logged
Savatage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 06/21/14 at 22:24:36

Thanks for the input guys.
Your right .  I pulled the plug specifically to mechanically  take the decomp unit out of the equation so I have pretty much determined the issue is electrical.  If it was a fuse I don't think it would intermittently engage the starter and turn over like it does.
I'm leaning more toward the decomp controller or the starter solenoid controller as you mentioned.  I have plugged and unplugged all the connectors and tried wiggling the harness around to see if I have an intermittent open wire and yes I have the clutch lever wrapped with twine to keep it engaged. (LOL)
I don't have a Clymers book but I do have a shop manual which also shows how to check out the controllers so I guess that's my next step.

If there's anyone out there who knows how to completely bypass the entire decmp / controller part of the system just so I can isolate the problem that might help and I could possibly go to a manual decomp.

Thanks again everyone, I will keep you posted   Smiley

IP Logged
roadwarrior
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 06/22/14 at 02:38:20

you can download the clymer manual in adobe pdf form through this site bud as i did a couple of months ago. i dont think its the decomp thats the problem,i would of thought solonoid,but i coverd everything i could think of in case it was a smaller problem. the decomp unit does make a bit of a noise when trying to start usually,i know when i first started mine i thought it cant be right but it is. if your wires are all good and clean tight connections and your cut out switch and start switch is ok then i reckon its your solonoid. im not sure how or if you can bypass the decomp electrics. i will go out and pop my tank off and have a closer look. im in uk so sorry about time difference ive just woke up lol Huh

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #13 - 06/22/14 at 05:43:52

Check the two small wires on the starter solenoid. According to the wiring diagram the black/white wire is ground. The yellow/black wire is hot when you push the start button/dead the rest of the time. That wire - the yellow/black one - is fed from the decomp controller. See if it will light a 12v test light or show 12v when you hit the starter switch.

If you can figure out a way to get 12v to that terminal on the solenoid when the start button is pressed - disconnect the yellow/black wire coming from the decomp controller first - and the bike cranks, I think that will confirm that eerything else is OK and the controller is not working correctly.

If the starter sill won't spin with 12v applied to that terminal, you may have a bad starter solenoid.

Note: The above assumes that right now when you hit the switch the starter does nothing.
I think I'm understanding that from your posts. Correct?

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #14 - 06/22/14 at 08:04:50

Decomp relay on my 98 filled up with water years ago and quit working.

Here's the modified wiring diagram I used to delete it... read the whole thread and any links out of it. Bike is almost done being rewired, got sick of not riding and picked up an 03 to ride and make the 98 project fun again.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1173898705

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:29:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Greetings all !   Savage newbe here.  I'm stumped.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.