Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
testing starter solenoid/starter (Read 231 times)
dhabicht1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

testing starter solenoid/starter
06/17/14 at 22:12:54

Finally getting my newly purchased S40 back together.  Did chain tensioner mod changed out oil and sat or cover.  The problem I'm having is starter won't turn.  I have a new battery, manually actuate the decomp, I have 12 VDC at one of the large terminal at the relay but when I try to start the bike it only has 4.3 on the other side.  I have tried jumping directly from the positive to the starter and it doesn't turn seems likes if I held the wire it would weld in place...same if I try to jump the large starter solenoid terminals.  Any ideas would be great.

IP Logged
dhabicht1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: testing starter solenoid/starter
Reply #1 - 06/18/14 at 03:59:46

more info to add
When I hit the starter switch the decomp engages and so does the starter solenoid.  I have tried to push start just to see if the engine turns and it does.  Next step manually turn the engine with a wrench? I'm thinking since all the oil was drained and the tensioner was changed maybe it is too tight for the starter to turn until some oil gets circulated around.  Will manually turning it circulate oil enough?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 06/18/14 at 04:48:34

Engines don't tighten up just because you drained oil, and 4.3 volts won't make your starter turn.  You won't have any luck turning the engine over manually to run oil through the engine....you won't be able to spin it fast or long enough...at less than 1,000 rpm the engine doesn't pump much oil up to the head....and at speeds less than that the oil will just flow to the bearings on the crank.

Sounds like you have a battery issue.  Is the ground wire for the battery tight to the engine case?  Sealed batteries can go bad in an instant.....and without warning...even new ones.  I had one fail that was only 2 weeks old.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
dhabicht1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/18/14 at 04:53:10

It is a brand new battery and I still have the old one which tested OK under load.  I'll check ground wire this evening, where should it go to on the engine case?  I don't remember seeing it when I took the cases off.

IP Logged
humblegeo

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/18/14 at 05:15:48

Same issue I'm having with mine. Battery, starter,  starter relay or connections. Generic starter relays are cheap on ebay maybe $10. Starters can be disassembled and cleaned serviced with videos on youtube. Check frame connection from negative side on battery. Im not sure I like the AGM sealed batteries yet. I went thru 3 the past two days before I think I finally got a good one. I never had this kind of trouble before with batteries. I think I perfer the old lead acid type battery but they dont fit the battery box.
Good luck.

IP Logged
dhabicht1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/18/14 at 05:21:08

sounds like you were able to get yours working? where does the frame connection go to?

IP Logged
humblegeo

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 06/18/14 at 05:30:09

No it's not working yet but its at my storage facility and thats where I work on it. Plan to check a few other things today, like connections and I charged the battery for 5 hours last night. Battery reads 12.8 vdc this morning. Should be fully charged now.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 06/18/14 at 08:31:44

dhabicht1 wrote on 06/17/14 at 22:12:54:
Did chain tensioner mod changed out oil and sat or cover.  The problem I'm having is starter won't turn.  

Did you have the stator cover off?

WWW   IP Logged
dhabicht1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 06/18/14 at 08:35:37

yes I did have the cover off, the old one was all beat and had crack in it, I replaced it and swapped over all parts  I'm thinking what you are about to tell me won't be good news

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 06/18/14 at 08:46:44

Pull the plug. Put it in gear & see if you can roll it,, If not ( & that LOW voltage makes me think bad things) youve got something in a bind & the starter cant spin it,
IF ( as I suspect) youve screwed yourself a bit, then the wires to the starter will be getting hot,, Its passing current but going nowhere.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
dhabicht1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 06/18/14 at 08:49:53

I was able to push it and pop the clutch engine rolled,  what on earth could be stuck?  I think you may be on to something because the wire to the starter was getting warm but I didn't mess with the starter or gears at all when I took the stator cover off

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 06/18/14 at 08:57:38

It's very common to put a couple of washers back in the wrong location when you have the stator cover off.  them darn things jump off when you pull the cover so you don't see where they go.  And if you put them back in the wrong location, the starter won't turn.

So pull the starter, reach in with your finger and try to turn a gear.
It should go in 1 direction but not the other.  If it doesn't spin, that's the problem.

Both washers go on the gear with 2 sets of teeth (the torque limiter gear), 1 on either side.

WWW   IP Logged
dhabicht1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 06/18/14 at 09:04:00

I guessing the stator cover needs to be removed again to pull the starter?  I noticed one washer which I put back on the top right gear from memory, maybe I didn't notice the other one

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 06/18/14 at 09:17:56

no, the starter can be pulled by itself.

2 bolts on the end, lift, wiggle, pull.

oh, yeah, remove cable.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
dhabicht1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 06/18/14 at 09:36:15

thanks so much for all the help, I'll won't get a chance to take a look at it until Thursday but I feel confident your long distance diagnosis is correct

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/23/24 at 18:08:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › testing starter solenoid/starter

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.