Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Engine Guard Install (Read 276 times)
Beagle

1998 Suzuki Savage

Ohio
Engine Guard Install
06/17/14 at 20:44:43

Are these difficult to install on the Savage?

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Re: Engine Guard Install
Reply #1 - 06/17/14 at 21:27:05

Ummm.... which engine guards? There's a bunch of them out there that folks have fitted to the Savage. Give us a link to what you're looking at buying.

IP Logged
Fishbulb
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/17/14 at 21:39:28

Mine came with one that I *think* is the Suzuki one. Three U-Bolts is all it takes...

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #3 - 06/17/14 at 21:41:17

Fishbulb wrote on 06/17/14 at 21:39:28:
Mine came with one that I *think* is the Suzuki one. Three U-Bolts is all it takes...

Maybe a picture of them?

IP Logged
Tink
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Calgary, AB
Reply #4 - 06/14/15 at 20:06:46

I'm having a hard time installing them. I might go get new u-bolts because they just don't seem long enough. I'm quite disappointed that something which should be simple is so hard. Embarrassed

I can't link to a picture due to permissions but google S40 engine guard. There is only one available, from what I can see.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #5 - 06/15/15 at 06:44:03

I have the factory guard and it installs super easy. 3 u-bolts (you can see 2 of them in the pic...mine are wrapped in black electrical tape to stop vibration and prevent marring my frame).  

If you don't have them, you can simply go to the hardware store and source them.

Capture_003.JPG

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Tink
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Calgary, AB
Reply #6 - 06/15/15 at 11:23:15

Thanks! I have the same engine guard but it's a really tight fit. Maybe I need a little more strength to get them on. They seem to fit more like "V" bolts than "U" bolts, with excess hanging out the back and the front barely going through the holes. What year is yours? Mine is a 2006 and I wonder if the frame could be a little fatter. I'm going to clean it up one evening this week and try again.

Cheers   Kiss

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #7 - 06/15/15 at 12:21:01

Mine is a 2008.  I'm not a frame expert, but suspect that it's the same size.  I can't recall, but I want to think that mine were a little tight too (almost like something wasn't right) and I may have ended up going to the store and getting all new u-bolts that were "just right" where there was enough thread to lock onto with the nut but not a lot protruding.  

Personally, the right size u-bolt and a little electrical tape (if your frame is black) and it's a good, snug fit but not so much where you have to use a sledge hammer to get them in place.

***it may not be possible to put them on backwards, but make sure you are putting them on correctly with the threads/nuts pointing FORWARD.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #8 - 06/15/15 at 18:39:59

I have the same engine guard on my '03 savage, but since I bought it used...and didnt install it...I didnt know where it came from. The U bolts arent chrome though...they look more like SS to me.
Which brings up a question...

I was VERY uncomfortable using the highway pegs. I mean like, I tried it 4 or 5 times at cruising speed and just didnt like the position at all. I seem to be much more comfortable with my feet underneath me. Is that weird?

I took the pegs off but left the bar on. I may use it to mount some additional lighting. Was just curious as to whether or not anyone else thinks that highway pegs feel uncomfortable.

my_savage2_2003.jpg

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #9 - 06/16/15 at 06:45:21

Boogie_with_Stu,

I had a similar feeling about the pegs and it took some getting used to.  One thing to note is that I am about 5'6", 165lbs, brown hair....oh wait, wrong site  Grin.  

Seriously though, I am 5'6" and I had straight pegs and they felt like my knees were too high and I was more crunched up than stretched out.  I bit the bullet on the "K" longhorn pegs seen in my pic (looks like you have the same) and they allowed for a little more forward stretch. With these, I feel pretty comfortable and my body position feels much more natural.

You must be taller?

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #10 - 06/16/15 at 16:28:28

Yeah, a bit. I'm 5' 10 1/2" plus a hair. The bike doesnt feel cramped to me, but then...I dont have a lot to compare it to. My only other bike was an old KZ 550 back in the day. Basic street bike set up like a commuter ( but dang it was quick!)

I raised up the front seat-holder block with #7 rubber stoppers and that helped a lot. Then I got rid of those droopy buckhorn bars and put a set of Bonneville bars on it...now its very comfortable.

I still want to set up the extended forward controls in the future, but for now the bike feels pretty good.

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #11 - 06/16/15 at 19:37:08

I put the 4" forward controls on mine, i'm 5'10" also, 30 inch inseam leg length. They are more comfortable than the stock seating position, I was thinking if I get a little more saved up I would put on the 6" ones.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Tink
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Calgary, AB
Reply #12 - 07/06/15 at 04:44:46

I got my engine guard installed after buying new U-bolts. In case anyone else buys the factory engine guard, 1 1/8 X 2" u-bolts is all you new and it goes on easy as pie! You'll just need two of them at about a dollar and a half each. Roll Eyes

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #13 - 07/06/15 at 17:01:57

old_rider wrote on 06/16/15 at 19:37:08:
I put the 4" forward controls on mine...I was thinking if I get a little more saved up I would put on the 6" ones.

If you're thinking of selling your 4"ers let me know.  I'm 5'8" and I've been preparing to fabricate this very thing.  If the price is right I'd love to save myself the effort.

Staying on topic...I'm short so freeway pegs often feel like they're just out of reach.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
merhlin
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Eastern Maine
Reply #14 - 07/07/15 at 02:56:41

Old_rider, where did you get your cargo carrier? Looks great and seems like it would add some much needed back support ( I've been having an issue with riding more than a single day since I hurt my back 2years ago). I am also thinking about the 4" forward controls as well.

Merhlin

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:28:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Engine Guard Install

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.