Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Complete Electrical Failure or, Gremlins inside! (Read 62 times)
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Complete Electrical Failure or, Gremlins inside!
06/17/14 at 09:35:24

Hello Folks,

I've been having a few electrical bugs that came to a head today.

Last week I noticed that three of my four running lights were not on. I still had signal lights and I wasn't worried about it. It went onto the list of stuff that I need to do, eventually. Then two days ago I had my left signal light stopped working. It would turn the lights on but wouldn't flash. Eventually, became "I'll do it Wednesday after work". On the way into work the yesterday the left turn signal blinked fine. "Grr"
Then last night when I went to go home I went to fire it up and there was nothing. I shifted gears a couple times to make sure I was in neutral, took the key out, flicked the kill switch a couple times, turned the key and my neutral light came on I hit the starter and drove home. At this point my left turn signal didn't want to blink again.
Then this morning, I turned the key and the appropriate lights came on until I hit the starter. At that point it did the same thing that it did last night before I went home. Complete power failure, it was as though the battery was missing completely. Hit the switch and all lights go out. No amount of wiggle jiggle was going to get it started up. I pulled the seat, and the fuses and connections there looked good. I didn't have any more time before I had to get to work so I took the wife's car.

Anyone have this happen to them? I'm sure I'll get it back up and running in fairly short order. I'm just annoyed with it at the moment. Any suggestions where to start looking?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Complete Electrical Failure or, Gremlins insid
Reply #1 - 06/17/14 at 10:09:25

Last week we had a fellow that was having problems.....and ultimately discovered his battery terminal screw was loose.

Check the screws on the battery terminals, check the ground wire attachment down by the oil window, check the electrical connector(s) under the tank and seat.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 06/17/14 at 10:58:12

greenmonster wrote on 06/17/14 at 09:35:24:
Last week I noticed that three of my four running lights were not on.

What lights have you added or do you not know there are no running lights at the rear?
Quote:
I still had signal lights and I wasn't worried about it. It went onto the list of stuff that I need to do, eventually. Then two days ago I had my left signal light stopped working. It would turn the lights on but wouldn't flash.

Check connectors for corrosion
Quote:
Eventually, became "I'll do it Wednesday after work". On the way into work the yesterday the left turn signal blinked fine. "Grr"
Then last night when I went to go home I went to fire it up and there was nothing. I shifted gears a couple times to make sure I was in neutral, took the key out, flicked the kill switch a couple times, turned the key and my neutral light came on I hit the starter and drove home. At this point my left turn signal didn't want to blink again.
Then this morning, I turned the key and the appropriate lights came on until I hit the starter. At that point it did the same thing that it did last night before I went home. Complete power failure, it was as though the battery was missing completely. Hit the switch and all lights go out. No amount of wiggle jiggle was going to get it started up. I pulled the seat, and the fuses and connections there looked good. I didn't have any more time before I had to get to work so I took the wife's car.

Anyone have this happen to them? I'm sure I'll get it back up and running in fairly short order. I'm just annoyed with it at the moment. Any suggestions where to start looking?

and yeah... check the ground... err battery ground to the case.  you can check the ground later... for loose change.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #3 - 06/17/14 at 11:50:51

Quote:
 you can check the ground later... for loose change.   Grin

It's not all dead. It's only mostly dead Grin

I haven't added any lights. Are you sure that the '86 didn't have the running lights in the rear? I never follow myself so I can't say either way. I've been beside myself on occasion. And I have been known to get ahead of myself. Cheesy But I never look at myself while I'm there.

I do know that the running light on the front left went out. Signal was still fine until just recently.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 06/17/14 at 11:56:11

absolutely, lenses would have to be red.

this is why the brake light is also a running light, because the lens is red.

WWW   IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #5 - 06/17/14 at 12:58:52

That makes sense. Good to know as well. I'd hate to have spend a six pack of repair time trying to figure out why those weren't lighting up.

IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #6 - 06/18/14 at 15:52:53

So for anyone who wanted to know...

I went home and cracked a beer then sat down to figure out where the electrical demon had taken up residence in my bike. The first thing I noticed is that my positive terminal screw was backed out over an 1/8".

Tightened that up and she runs like a champ again.

I guess this shows the difference between trying to fix something when you are late for work and fixing something when you have time and beer.

Moral of the story: if you need to fix your bike, beer is more important than work.

IP Logged
YoungSavage

everyone knows I'm
home by the KA-POW!

Monterey, California
Reply #7 - 06/18/14 at 23:08:43

greenmonster wrote on 06/18/14 at 15:52:53:
So for anyone who wanted to know...

Moral of the story: if you need to fix your bike, beer is more important than work.

+1 it's almost like beer and afternoon mechanic duties go hand in hand. Just don't forget what goes where when pulling stuff apart!

1988 Stock, mixture screw out 2 turns, seat lift mod, elevation= sea level, main jet=155 pilot jet=55
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 18:25:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Complete Electrical Failure or, Gremlins inside!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.