Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gas Cap Key (Read 121 times)
humblegeo

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gas Cap Key
06/15/14 at 09:05:05

I've had this 2003 LS650 for about a week now and finally got some free time to look at it. Very much a project bike which is what I was looking for. Only came with one key. It fits in the gas cap perfectly but wont turn. Is there a trick to removing the gas cap or can I look forward to drilling it out? Also does the same key work for ignition and gas cap.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Gas Cap Key
Reply #1 - 06/15/14 at 09:13:41

The same key should work the ignition, tool box, and gas cap... (the fork lock takes a different key)...

This is assuming that your bike has the original gas cap...
If it has been replaced,... you have a problem...
Drilling may get filings in your tank?... you might consider getting over to a locksmith before you run out of gas... or just pull the tank and take it to him....
Just a thought...

Best luck...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #2 - 06/15/14 at 09:24:07

Put some PB Blaster on it.Let it soak.Then push down on the cap while trying to turn the key.Mine used to be real tight and I had to push down on it sometimes.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
humblegeo

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/15/14 at 09:28:02

Appreciate it. Ill see if the key fits the tool box cover lock. I have it in the garage along with the fuel tank. The bike is at the storage place so cant check ignition now. I did have a project bike once that didn't have a key. I was able to take a big big screwdriver and fit it in the gas cap key slot and just turn the heck out it. Broke gas cap lock and was able to service rusty fuel tank and replace with generic non locking gas cap. I may have to do that with this one.

IP Logged
humblegeo

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/15/14 at 09:32:03

The key does work the tool box cover lock.

IP Logged
doh13

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NS CANADA
Reply #5 - 06/15/14 at 11:39:11

Like Demin said try some penetrating oil or any oil for that mater such as wd 40 in the lock then put the key in and wiggle it back and forth  and press down on the cap while turning it should come free dont be afraid to give it a good turn but dont break the key lol. If it doesn't turn I am assuming there is a different Cap that requires a diff key that you obviously don't have.  My GFs rebel has a diff cap and a diff key to open it.
Back in the  day we ground down a hack saw blade to fit the keyhole we never had the proper key for and sawed on each side  until it turned but that leaves metal in ur tank unless you drain the fuel and hold the tank upside down while doing it. something to try if you dont have a lot of cash.

IP Logged
humblegeo

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 06/15/14 at 14:39:10

I never could get it to turn. Must be a new gas cap and I didnt get the key for it. Got a big screw driver and turned the heck out of that beach! Now it opens with a screw driver instead of a key. So happy to find that the tank is super clean and shiny instead of full of rust.

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #7 - 06/15/14 at 17:07:51

If you want the key to match, buy a cap on the bay and take it to a locksmith along with your key.  He will be able to rekey it to work with your existing key.

If your toolbox lock is in the same situation, and you want it to work, take it too.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 06/16/14 at 05:17:18

No one has ever found a non locking gas cap to fit this thing.. Id recommend against wrecking the cap till you have something lined up.,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #9 - 06/16/14 at 13:52:31

You could really drunk and try shooting it off!  I agree with Justin!  I  just checked and saw a new cap cost almost $80

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 06/16/14 at 14:09:20

gees, I've seen cap/box/iggy and helmet lock go for that.

It's probably just gummed up with gas...
but hopefully not superglue.
dribble some atf into it, and let it sit.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 06/16/14 at 17:08:07

Acetone & atf, 50/50 mix,, Ive been using that on stuff,, I got some tools out of a storage building,,the guy who owned them has been dead 30 years. Talkin some RUst,,pits, ugly,, BUT, I got things apart, bolts backed out, I got 2 adjustable diameter wood bits for a brace & bit setup,
Hadda let them stay wet for 2 days,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 20:35:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gas Cap Key

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.