Guns save lives (Read 570 times)
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Re: Guns save lives
Reply #45 - 08/15/14 at 09:01:41

"... If you're concerned by gun deaths and injuries, teach a free class on gun safety. ..."

Yes, if someone wants to complain, complain, complain, about something happening, and is always complaining, never doing. Just like most , 'elected', people, they want, 'control', with out the 'responsibility'.
This statement above is 110% true.

However, teaching FCTC, for 35 years. I would NOT want,
someone who, "Does Not Like Guns", or, 'believes only certain people should have them'. Teaching, 'Firearm Safety'.
I beleave they would, teach, "Firearm Avoidance".

We have a State Licensed, 'Teacher', who teaches 5th grade in the Cities.
He is a Great Guy, and extremely, Pro-Freedom!
Very good, and I have learned a Lot about teaching from him.
But every once and a while, we have to have a little talk, as he will, 'slip' into;  "Teaching The Test" mode. Rather than, teaching the materiel, then testing the retention/comprehension.  
(Where as in his Job, he is TOLD, "Teach the Test", so the scores are higher, and the school can get MORE money, for the assistant, to the assistants, Secretaries assistant, for a new assistant to the assistant, Secretary.)

Just like most of the teachers, in Grade/High school, and collages.
They took to heart, the Credo:
"You can't change form outside, you have to change from inside"
To they became, teachers.

Yes, Yes, Yes, there  ARE, Many teachers, how are Very Pro Freedom.
But their, 'bosses', tell them what to do.

One case, when I had the gun shop, a customer came in, with his Junior in High school daughter.  Asked If I have any books or reference materiel.  (This was Way before the 'internet). She had a assignment for a paper, which was titled: "Your View On Gun Control".
I gave her several books, papers, and FACTS. Two weeks later she came in and gave my information back, and gave me a copy of what she had written. (She was close to tears). It was just AWSUM. Perfect grammar, sentence structure, footnotes to the references, 5, Perfect, (typewritten), pages.
She got a  "F".   ???????
I called her father, said:   "Can I take this to the wall". He said Go For It !
So, I called the teacher, he said: "Sure it was good, but it was Pro-Gun, not Anti-Gun, that's why she failed".

I knew the Principal of that school well. At lunch I went to see him.
Showed him the paper. He said it was VERY good, but it was out of his hands, as it was the teachers decision.  I told him:  "But, it is YOUR, responsibility, because YOU  Hired, that teacher". And them I reminded him the assignment was, "Your View On Gun Control",  NOT, the Teachers View!
A week later,  she and her Dad came in, she was just 'bubbly', she showed me another copy, with the 'F' crossed out, and a  "A+" written.
Her Dad, winked at me, shook my hand, and said, thanks for the books.

About 15 years ago, their was a student, who was15.
In the first class, he was very Disruptive.At break in the first class, I took him aside, and told him, He must settle down, and learn the information

At the second class, he did not change his behavior.

At break, I handed him, $5.00 back,  (Cost of the class then). And said:   “You will sit in the back, not say anything, and when your ride comes, I will walk out with you, and tell them why I have  FAILED you:”.

He said: “You Can’t Do That,  I’m in  Special Ed”

I told him: “ I Don’t care what you are in,
you have  FAILED,  Because YOU  Do Not Listen, or Learn, and are Disruptive”

He started,     CRYING,    (A 15 year old, among mostly 11-13 years olds).  I gave him his 5.00 back, and said: “You have   0   Chances left,   O.  Do you understand. If you want his class,  you will behave, listen, and learn”.

Guess what,   He,  (Out of a class of 75 that year), Had  100% on the Test, and was a model student.

On the, ‘Field Day’, I was standing out side. Watching the students get picked up by parents or guardians. All had their sheet of papers in their hand, (Some passing by the skin on their teeth).

And in come this Beat UP,  Rusty Van, Smoking, Running Poorly, ’This Student’, goes to this van,  And out comes, (What I believe is his Mother),
She marches up to me, puts her hand on her hips, and says:
    (I was prepared to get the ‘what for’, from her)
 “ Mr.  xxxx,   I don’t know what you said to my son,
  but it is the first time he has buckled down and learned something,
Thank you” .  Then she went back to the van, and spun out the gravel and left.

It was my Proudest moment of volunteer teaching I have ever had !

This Student, (I Believe), could have easily tested out for MENSA.  He was  SMART.   Smart enough,  to, ‘screw’, his HS  Teachers, into believing he was,  “Special”, to get the free ride.

35 years ago, start of class:  "How many here have had experience with a firearm before".  95% raised their hand.  Teaching was, Safety, Skill, Equipment, Technique. (The PARENTS, taught the, Ethics, Responsibility).   Today, (maybe) 5% raise their hand. And the focus is, Safety, Ethics, Responsibility, and Drilling, and drilling, and drilling,  "You NEVER, point a firearm at anything you don't want to shoot, and their is  NO Re-set button on a firearm)

Oh, if you want to share. Check out, Your States, Volunteer, Firearm, Safety Training course, in your area.  Run by whoever runs the fish/wildlife, licensing division.  A day, (sometimes 2), class is required to 'become, a teacher, (in most cases). It's very rewarding.

OH, if you are, 'Anti-Gun', and, 'think' you can, lie, to these kids.
You will VERY SOON, be, 'outed', by the other instructors.

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #46 - 08/15/14 at 11:09:21

A: You're absolutely correct. I didn't consider the odds of an"anti" actually Teaching proper use and handling of a firearm. It would be like asking someone who hates cars to teach drivers ed.
B: You did a great job teaching and putting the responsibility for that boys success or failure where it belongs,directly on him,with no"crutch", no"special ed" grAde". People RARELY live up to expectations greater than those that are placed on them. That's a great story,a success story,for both of you.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
tcreeley

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #47 - 08/15/14 at 17:55:00

I see quite a few kids who are regular hunters- turkey, deer, bear, coyote, moose. That includes girls as well. Some girls are better than the boys- more patient, better shots.
They start hunting by middle school and are accomplished by highschool. Trustworthy and responsible kids. Then we have the other kids who pick up a gun and go shoot something. I have some concerns about them, but we are in a rural areas, so no big deal. No one really worries about self defense around here, even with the guns. Crime is not a big deal.
I think it is over 10 years since I last took my Cabelas Hawken out and shot at some target. I got it as a kit I put together.
I don't mind 9mm's for hunting, rabid dogs, coyotes. Maybe it's our area, but self protection is not a biggie around here, hunting is.

-Only people who should teach gun safety are those who are certified instructors- gun people who know guns, use guns.

Guns are interesting design wise, but I don't really enjoy shooting one. Death is too easily come by. I know of 3 suicides with guns, and an old landlord shot his buddy dead one night (his wife would babysit our son). Death is death, I try not to prepare for it. When it comes, it will.

Live and let live. That's how I see it. I may not like your assault rifle, I may say it, but that's all it is. As Mn said, families used to teach responsibility, we need to have more of that, along with community folks helping each other out.

tcreeley

it is what it is
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #48 - 08/15/14 at 19:37:18

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/13/14 at 21:25:24:
I have a question...
You don't like hearing the gun? You don't have one? You don't believe people other than cops and military should have a gun?
Then if you are in trouble and your neighbor sees it,do you want your neighbor to just call 911for you or do you want him to grab his gun and come to your rescue? Let's use a Home Invasion type event for the "trouble"..

Did I miss the answer?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
tcreeley

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #49 - 08/19/14 at 08:04:49

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/15/14 at 19:37:18:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/13/14 at 21:25:24:
I have a question...
You don't like hearing the gun? You don't have one? You don't believe people other than cops and military should have a gun?
Then if you are in trouble and your neighbor sees it,do you want your neighbor to just call 911for you or do you want him to grab his gun and come to your rescue? Let's use a Home Invasion type event for the "trouble"..

Did I miss the answer?

Unrealistic where I live - never happen. That is why I live here.  
I'd never want to call 911- probably get blown away by the swat team mentality idiot they would send.
You live until you die, that's life. Accept it, don't sweat the small stuff.  Stay relaxed and enjoy what's around you- dispensing with fear is a major step in that direction.

My neighbors - coming with their guns- never want that! Boozed or high, just what I need! Grin
or hung over!.....they are ok, I just prefer my own judgement.

tcreeley

it is what it is
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #50 - 08/19/14 at 08:39:01

Nice dodge,,it's a hypothetical question,intended to reveal how strongly held your beliefs Really are, but you knew that and pretended it was a literal question and tried to discount it.I call Bravo Sierra .

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #51 - 08/19/14 at 16:56:47

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/19/14 at 08:39:01:
... Bravo Sierra .

Grin( = B.S.)

A-Yep.   Do you want a sign that says:
"No Firearms In This Place".
To put at the end of your driveway?

I believe I can get you one.

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #52 - 08/19/14 at 21:34:48

MnSpring wrote on 08/19/14 at 16:56:47:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/19/14 at 08:39:01:
... Bravo Sierra .

Grin( = B.S.)

A-Yep.   Do you want a sign that says:
"No Firearms In This Place".
To put at the end of your driveway?

I believe I can get you one.

I'll take 2... Put one behind the gun rack equipped jacked up 4x4, the other next to my "Pickers and scrappers will be shot" sign. I've had 2 so far that didn't believe me... one needed a new radiator (and new skivvies), the other needed a new engine (and new skivvies).

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #53 - 09/05/14 at 20:13:04

During the summers here sometimes the local "Hispanic bicycle patrol" ride around our neighborhood and see what the can easily pick up.
They will ride by a few days a week, then one day two will ride by... and something will come up missing.
When I see the signs of the HBP, I always make a point to throw on my tactical holster and S&W 9mm and keep my garage open and walk around the yard.
Well, last fall a local sheriff stopped by the house mentioning that a few neighbors had called saying a man with a gun was walking around... (they never bothered to tell the dept. that I was walking around my house in my yard)
He asked why I was open carrying and was it loaded... I told him it was loaded and I was patrolling my property and I never step off the property without concealing and that I carry a CC license.
He smiled when I told him why..... and I told him it was an intimidatin thing...to let them know i'm not easy pickin's.....and as we were talking you guessed it...HBP came by, two of them.....
We have no Hispanics in our 6 culdesacs that all dead end. They can ride where they wish....but it is "suspicious behavior"....
I asked if he would question them... he said no one has called and complained, I asked if he was one of the officers that came down the street a few weeks before about a robbery.... he said he had heard about it from the first shift. I asked if he viewed the report, he said "no", I said well in the report someone mentioned that Hispanic men were riding through the neighborhood "slowly" and looking at each house as they went by....and then there were robberies reported.
Long story short.... if you don't have them on film or catch them red handed... ya can't do squat....
You might say, its only stuff...that can be replaced....well some of my "stuff" can't.... and its my stuff.... and if I catch you taking my stuff... i'll shoot you and stuff a knife in your hand....then they will stuff you in a box....
Ok...i'm done....

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #54 - 09/05/14 at 20:59:38

do you lock your doors??

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #55 - 09/06/14 at 21:45:57

Whether he does or not,, its STILL His STUFF, and whether its stolen from behind a locked or unlocked door makers No Difference,, Its still stolen,,and its still HIS.. and he has the Right to protect it and his family,, NO, he has the OBligation to protect his stuff and his family,, he gave his TIME and Energy to make the Money to BUY that stuff,, His family gave up their time TOgether in order for HIM to be ABLE to buy that stuff.. So few truly grasp the the REAL value of things that, when taken from others, they label "Just Stuff"..

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #56 - 09/07/14 at 12:10:55

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/06/14 at 21:45:57:
Whether he does or not,, its STILL His STUFF, and whether its stolen from behind a locked or unlocked door makers No Difference,, Its still stolen,,and its still HIS.. and he has the Right to protect it and his family,, NO, he has the OBligation to protect his stuff and his family,, he gave his TIME and Energy to make the Money to BUY that stuff,, His family gave up their time TOgether in order for HIM to be ABLE to buy that stuff.. So few truly grasp the the REAL value of things that, when taken from others, they label "Just Stuff"..

again you let your mania cloud your brain
I'm asking a simple question, no hidden agenda

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #57 - 09/07/14 at 18:13:55

A number of years ago, their was a 'rash', of, break ins, vandalism, and theft. Of  Ice fishing houses on a local lake.  The people that fished their, had a fairly good idea, of who was responsible. These were Not, 'Under Privileged' kids. They, (were suspected), sons of local, Doctors, Lawyers, Politicians.

One night, several, young people had a horrible accident, and slipped on the Ice, and broke some bones.

Interesting, after they, 'slipped on the Ice', their was no more vandalism of fish houses.

Of course, one  option would be:
Put a big azz LOCK, on a Ice Fish House.
Reinforce the Door.
Put Iron Bars on the windows.
Or not put out a 'Fish House'.

Another option would be:
Teach people, their is, a, 'reaction', to their, 'actions'.

20 + years ago, was in Huntsville TX, a big (dog) Field Trial.
Many of were ensconced in a hotel, which had separate doors to the rooms, and a very large field to exercise dogs. And most everybody knew everyone else.

Most people were, coming back from the days activities., and the doors were all open, Dog trailer tops were open, guns were visible, (shotguns), electronics, and all sorts of other stuff, was just, 'out their'. It was a very jovial time, with people having a beer, or drink, talking about the day, and what went right and what went wrong.  (In other words, MOST  everybody, had their, 'guard' down)

This group of, 'dog' people, had the whole back side, up and down, of that hotel. Then came a, 'low', rider, fancy car, (chrome  EVERYWHERE), with tires which looked like rubber bands, over grossly over sized, highly polished chrome rims.

They drove by,  R e a l   S l o w.  I went into my room, took my 4" 629, sucked in my gut, and stuck in inside my pants, with most of it showing.
Then just leaned against the back of my truck.

Sure enough, here they come again.  R E A L   S L O W.
I was about 1/2 way down the row.
They saw me.  

And I guess, they must have suddenly, 'forgot',
they had to be somewhere else, real fast.
Because I think they brunt off 1/2 of their, 'rubber band tires', leaving.

Point is:  One can be, 'proactive', and prevent, a 'something', from happening.  Or one can, run and hide, and sick their head in the sand.

Of course, If I was selling:
Big Azz Locks.   Reinforced Doors.  Bars on windows.  Reinforced safe Rooms.  Screeching Alarm Systems.  and making several Thousand of dollars off the sale of those. I would, ENCOURAGE, people to, "Run and Hide".

Rather then spend a couple of hundred, on a firearm, AND  Ammo.
USE IT/ LEARN IT/UNDERSTAND IT.  And be, 'proactive'.

Let's see.   Suppose their was a gathering of, LS650/S40 riders.
Gathered at a hotel at the end of the day. All standing in the parking lot, talking about the days ride.  Admiring each other bikes, asking questions.  Talking about the things they saw that day. Generally, Having a Good Time.

Then come some, 'miss creations', Intent on taking all the Cash in your pocket. All your Credit Cards, your Watch, Rings, and whatever else they can grab.

You would have two choices:
1. Some one RUNS, and calls  911.  So when the police get their, they can take a list of what was stolen.  (and never do anything about it).
Or
2. Be, proactive, and Teach.  Their are 'reactions', to, 'actions'.  

What would, 'you', do ?

IP Logged
Drow
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #58 - 09/09/14 at 16:17:27

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #59 - 09/10/14 at 10:04:59

I always wonder what a "cops and military only should have guns"would do if they knew that the neighbor keeps guns loaded and handy,the cops are at least 5minutes away and someone is trying to break in. A Truly Honest person in that situation would not even Allow the neighbor to solve that problem.Well,they COULD convert.. I wonder how many"Antis"Have been converted after having their butts saved by some stranger who had a gun...

There must be some way to get their attention and get them to see that they're needlessly at risk.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/25/24 at 16:53:50

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Guns save lives

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.