Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cylinder Head Exhaust Pipe Bolts (Read 43 times)
humblegeo

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cylinder Head Exhaust Pipe Bolts
06/12/14 at 19:34:54

Is there an issue with exhaust pipe bolts on this bike and if so what do I do to keep it from becoming a problem on my newly aquired 2003 LS 650?

Appreciate the info
Larry G

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Re: Cylinder Exhaust Pipe Bolts
Reply #1 - 06/12/14 at 19:53:01

Not really. The first time you remove them douse them a few times with a mix of 50-50 acetone and transmission fluid. Douse, sit, douse, sit, repeat, repeat. Slowly back them out. If they don't move, try gently turning them in to break the bond. They WILL snap off. When you re-install, put anti-sieze on them. When tightening, use a 1/4" ratchet, TWO FINGERS and not a lot of torque. You're just flattening the gasket to seal the hole. Ride, check them every week or so and gently tighten them down if they've loosened up.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Cylinder Head Exhaust Pipe Bolts
Reply #2 - 06/13/14 at 04:49:00

A lot of these bikes are neglected.  They sit outside or in damp garages or carports for years.  Then when you try to remove the exhaust bolt, you can find that they don't want to come out.

You should take yours out, coat them with anti-sieze, and put them back in and make them snug....not tight.  A 1/4" drive ratchet and just a bit of pressure.....not too much.  Check them after riding for a while...if they haven't loosened up then just leave them alone and don't tighten them more.  It is better to have one get loose....than it is to get them too tight.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 20:25:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cylinder Head Exhaust Pipe Bolts

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.