Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Poll Poll
Question: The big Pow when you shut off?

True  
  11 (52.3%)
False  
  10 (47.6%)

Total votes: 21
« Created by: Sassy Savage on: 06/12/14 at 10:02:06 »

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
The big Pow when you shut off? (Read 380 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: The big Pow when you shut off?
Reply #15 - 06/12/14 at 13:47:31

Seems I remember someone saying putting it in gear & letting the clutch ALMOST start pulling while ya hit the kill switch helped, but Im not gonna swear to That one,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #16 - 06/12/14 at 13:48:02

I don't know about everyone else, but I always considered the bang to be the Savage's hairy chest, knuckle dragging, crotch grabbing, spit on the sidewalk expression of it's nature and had fun with it. Let it be and enjoy the looks.

Good hunting

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #17 - 06/12/14 at 16:12:07

I enjoy the big bang.  Many times, especially during colder weather, it lets go a whopper when I shut it off. On a good night, it'll send blue flames a foot or so and send everyone around ducking for cover.  Overheads and walls really amplify the sounds and make it a really big boom. I figure it's not too loud...hasn't set off any car alarms or anything yet.

Just part of the character of the bike.  Grin

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Sassy Savage
YaBB Newbies

This girl can hold
her own...

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Reply #18 - 06/13/14 at 07:07:31

Thank you for the words of encouragement... It just so happens that my last name is POWE the "e" is silent - I've adopted the nickname KA-POWE... because of this loud bang my bike produces. That paired with being the only girl rider, I often get a hard time and alot of attention. I am just trying to be a little more low key...  Grin

1986 Savage LS650, Bike is mint, no mods,Edmonton, AB Canada
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #19 - 06/13/14 at 07:57:09

Embrace the boom. Enhance the boom. Enjoy the boom.

I will intentionally wind my bike up tight and heel the kickstand enough to stall it while rolling.. then pop the clutch and get an even bigger bang when the engine catches and fires off. The 2003 still has its safety switches.

My 1998 has a small gutted glasspack muffler shell as a resonance chamber and a 29 inch long fishtail extension. When it ran 155/55 jetting, I could wind it up and hit the kill switch (since deleted) and get 2-3 feet of flames out of the pipe. Sounded like a 155mm howitzer going off. Normal riding it sounded like a Vietnam War era Huey UH-1 helicopter...  Cool

The huge afterfire potential, the squeaking belt, rattling headlight and speedometer, and multiple oil leaks are what allow the bike to have some character. The engine is very loosely based on old British racing singles, mostly the Norton Manx, it is just showing its heritage.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #20 - 06/13/14 at 08:14:39

I love the boom, wish it happened more often  Grin

edit: back on topic, when I removed the brass plug covering the idle mixture ADJUSTING SCREW the booms almost quit happening..

I put adj screw in caps because I hate when they do stuff like that (EPA)

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #21 - 06/13/14 at 13:00:55

I always stall it out in 2nd or 3rd gear and I get no after fire. It was pretty bad when I first got the bike new from the stealership and the adjustment screw process did not fix the boom. Someone recommended the stall method and I have done that ever since. Works like a charm!!

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #22 - 06/13/14 at 16:39:37

Sassy Savage wrote on 06/12/14 at 10:02:06:
Hi Everyone,

I need your beautiful knowledge... Sooo I keep being told that... All the savage's make the BIG POW when you turn off the bike and that there is nothing you can do to change this... I've been told it's due to the piston's taking that last big swing of compression. Please tell me that is not the truth and what I can do? It is so embarrassing pulling up and shutting your bike off to have this load big pow  Sad

Any help would be great. Thank you  

Simple fix: Pull your choke out and it will either die or if it doesn't, hit the kill switch. No BOOM!

IP Logged
shovelbum87

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Hampshire
Reply #23 - 06/14/14 at 19:50:44

1st2know wrote on 06/12/14 at 11:10:14:
I would think that a 1986 would already have its plug removed by now. It would be interesting if was still had it

my 87 still had it!

NEVER argue with a woman holding a torque wrench or a spray gun!
  IP Logged
anebv8

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rangiora,New Zealand
Reply #24 - 06/14/14 at 20:42:19

I love the boom the beast makes,can get a few good cracks chopping down the gears coming up to the lights. A mate almost come off his bike when he was following me thru a tunnel and I was making it fire off,he was laughing so hard he almost hit the wall   Grin
But will try the choke pull when going into a gas station,I usually hit the kill switch and roll in...rather embaressing forgetting to turn it back on again  Embarrassed

Ago Solvo Intereo Puteus
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #25 - 06/14/14 at 20:58:07

anebv8 wrote on 06/14/14 at 20:42:19:
But will try the choke pull when going into a gas station,I usually hit the kill switch and roll in...rather embaressing forgetting to turn it back on again  Embarrassed

When you come to a complete stop, reach down and pull the choke out then you can either put the kickstand down if you're in gear, or hit the kill switch. Yep, I've forgotten I had the kill switch on a few times, and don't forget to push the choke back in... that's another OOPS!!!!...  Too many things to remember!  Smiley

IP Logged
anebv8

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rangiora,New Zealand
Reply #26 - 06/14/14 at 21:50:32

When you come to a complete stop, reach down and pull the choke out then you can either put the kickstand down if you're in gear, or hit the kill switch. Yep, I've forgotten I had the kill switch on a few times, and don't forget to push the choke back in... that's another OOPS!!!!...  Too many things to remember!  Smiley
[/quote]

I know all too well I'll forget it    Smiley  Wink

Ago Solvo Intereo Puteus
  IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #27 - 06/15/14 at 02:52:34

My bike use to poof and run like it didn't have enough gas at 60 mph until I switched to a 55 pilot

The bike still use to poof even with the 55 pilot, it stopped tho after tuning the mixture screw to 2 turns out, it runs great in all rpms too

Im at sea lever and running both cone filter and pretty open muffler

I still do tho get that loud backfire once in a while when I'm snapping the throttle shut quickly

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #28 - 06/15/14 at 17:11:46

I've tried cutting it off letting the clutch drag a little until it starts to pull and then hit the kill switch.  No boom.  Otherwise, I get a nice loud, satisfying report when switching off.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #29 - 06/15/14 at 22:45:31

Shut off "boom" is  now a fairly quiet "whump"... but upshifting sounds like there is a .380 in the muffler.  Shocked

Changed to a Mac or similar right side (upper) Intruder take off pipe/muffler. Bike sounds like a Honda CR500 (ginormous 2 stroke) race bike with a big bore kit...  Hate the sound, but the bike gained 12mph at regular cruising throttle position, and at 2/3 throttle was running 80+ and still accelerating. AND used a full quart less fuel on my commute.   Cool

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 20:36:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › The big Pow when you shut off?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.