Send Topic Print
Urgent help required! (Read 128 times)
Coaxial

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Urgent help required!
06/12/14 at 06:48:53

Hey guys I just got into work and on my last kilometer my bike started to jerk. Like it hesitated for a half a second. Throttle off sounded unusually garbly and more backfire.

Then I noticed that my lights were flickering dim a bit.

Just as a note, new battery, freshly cleaned carb, fresh rotella, cleaned airfilter as of about 1500km ago. I do have the Versy adjuster on. My bike is at around 43,000km. I put 8 liters of fuel in this morning.

Any help is appreciated! I am worried I wont make it home.

2007 Suzuki Boulevard S40 Black. K&N Air Filter, Jardine Rumbler Exhaust, Raptor Petcock.

145 Main Jet, 45 Pilot Jet, 1.5x
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Urgent help required!
Reply #1 - 06/12/14 at 06:51:43

Got anyplace nearby who can throw a charger on it for a while?  The charger should be no more than 1.5 amps......2 if you absolutely have no other choice.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Coaxial

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reply #2 - 06/12/14 at 06:57:32

Unfortunately no, my back up was to ask someone to jump start my bike if need be.

Do you think it is the electricals for sure? I hope it just a loose connection. On my break I will try and find out.

2007 Suzuki Boulevard S40 Black. K&N Air Filter, Jardine Rumbler Exhaust, Raptor Petcock.

IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #3 - 06/12/14 at 07:08:27

with it running at fast idle, not real fast, about 1500 rpm, put a digital voltmeter on it, it must be 13.5 or above, engine off should be 12.5v

added:
even a charged battery won't power the bike long if rectifier is fried

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 06/12/14 at 07:17:24

Good news: you made it to work (yea)
Bad news: you either have a loose connection or a short.
remove the seat, check the connectors to the rectumfryer.
else turn on the ignition and look for smoke signals, them electrical gremlins could be on the warpath.

WWW   IP Logged
Spamy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/12/14 at 07:19:01

Any mods lately?  Almost sounds like a wire shorting out that may have been pinched during reassembly.

IP Logged
Coaxial

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reply #6 - 06/12/14 at 07:23:32

Nothing recently was done to the bike. My bike was in the rain yesterday and it is rather humid today. So I might go with the short theory.

I dont have access to a Voltmeter, I think another option for this is the police motorcycle station here, maybe they are nice peeps.

I'm gonna head down now and check out the bike.

IP Logged
Coaxial

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reply #7 - 06/12/14 at 07:51:22

I just went down to check for any loose connections or any smells of shorts.. Couldnt find any. The bike started but not without issues:

The first time I tried to turn it on(in neutral kickstand down) the whole bike shut off, even the headlights. Wouldnt start up again for a bit till i put the kickstand up. So maybe it was the kickstand switch but it worked after turning it off and turning it on kickstand down.

Still sputtering about.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 06/12/14 at 08:49:19

Did ya pull the tank? Theres a connector under that CAN just get loose & it shuts everything off.. One guy got home, went in the house, came out & Nada, Zippo,, It had worked loose & just came far enough apart when he set in on the stand that it simply wouldnt do anything,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Coaxial

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reply #9 - 06/12/14 at 09:06:03

I shall check it out soon.. I didnt think of that thanks.. If you guys have any other ideas let me know

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #10 - 06/12/14 at 16:07:15

I had a problem with that same connector.  Lights started flickering, not running well at all, when I turned in the driveway, it just died.  I had no lights or anything.  Luckily I remembered reading about someone else who had that problem on here and went hunting the connector.  Pushed it back together well and everything's been fine since.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Beagle

1998 Suzuki Savage

Ohio
Reply #11 - 06/12/14 at 20:49:40

I had a cable that was loose and frayed and caused electrical problems until I found it.  Sounds like a short somewhere to me.

IP Logged
Coaxial

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reply #12 - 06/13/14 at 07:23:05

Hey Guys thanks for all the help and input. After a long exhaustive search, I found the culprit.

I feel so stupid as it was just a loose bolt connecting the positive terminal to the battery. When i checked it initially i just gave it a tug check but not a screw check as it was covered by the rubber hat thing.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 18:24:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Urgent help required!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.