Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New Tensioner Seems Loose (Read 172 times)
brianho2112
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Tensioner Seems Loose
06/11/14 at 15:43:30

I'm just going to get this out of the way. I know most people advise to use Verslavy's tensioner mod, but in my case I happened to find a new one for fairly cheap and ready for immediate use.

After I replaced the old one with a new one, why does it still seem like it's ready to pop out again? Should I be concerned?

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Re: New Tensioner Seems Loose
Reply #1 - 06/11/14 at 15:47:14

Because you're replacing it with the same thing,you accomplished nothing but spending money.If you look at Verslagen's it has an extra hole welded into it.So you actually put the plunger back into the body.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #2 - 06/11/14 at 15:49:40

IP Logged
brianho2112
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/11/14 at 15:54:01

Talk about a design flaw. What do dealerships do when they encounter the issue of over-extended tensioners if new ones won't fix the issue?

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #4 - 06/11/14 at 16:00:21

brianho2112 wrote on 06/11/14 at 15:54:01:
Talk about a design flaw. What do dealerships do when they encounter the issue of over-extended tensioners if new ones won't fix the issue?

They replace the cam chain. Then, in 10 or 15 thousand miles, you are right back where you started.

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #5 - 06/11/14 at 16:06:35

Verslagen has saved many Savages with his design.That's actually what brought me to this site...Years ago.I got extremely lucky.

IP Logged
brianho2112
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 06/11/14 at 16:10:46

I see. Thank you so much for the clarification.

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #7 - 06/11/14 at 16:40:07

Well worth the money,in my opinion.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 06/11/14 at 18:50:58

In the future, until you know ya know what youre doin, ask before spending, UNLESS your billable hourly rate is over $400.00 an hour,, then, ehh,, spend it Baby!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Bluesman

Jack of many trades

Malmö, Sweden
Reply #9 - 06/12/14 at 07:41:53

Oh...that was RUDE, man Smiley

Cheers /Richard
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 06/12/14 at 09:11:21

Wasnt meant to be. Weve saved lots of people lots of time & $$$. Once someone has been here a while theyve read enough & they know when its time to drop some $$$ or ask for "How do I do this" advice. And, we DO have a member who has sufficient income to make working on the bike simply not a smart move. You know that if Bill Gates was "On the clock" & paid from exactly 8 to 5 & IF he was late, his pay reflected it, & he was gonna be EXACTLY on time IF he didnt break stride and he saw a $100.00 bill on the sidewalk & he turned around & bent over & pocketed it, he would be goin Bakkerds? If someone makes enuff $$$/hour it simply doesnt make sense to work on it yourself, unless someone sees maintenance as just part of the "owning a motorcycle" experience & they want to.. BUt seriously, how many people who have put themselves in a position to earn that kinda $$$ have any desire to get greasy? I know of only one, Leno,.,.

I apologize if that came off snarky,, I only meant to extend advice that will save you $$ & time & frustration. Once youve been around a while, YOULL be doin that for others,, Easy mistake to make, frustrating & unfunny,, but NOW you have a "core", If its not oval inside the tube the arm slides into then maybe Verslagen would like to have it. He could fix it up,, OHH,, wait a Minnit!  If its healthy, send it to him or find someone to mod it locally.. then see if he wants the new one, YOu can slap the modded one in & wring the rest of the miles outta that chain & He can have an "On the shelf" unit, ready to go,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 06/12/14 at 09:40:00

Ship me the new and the old one.
I'll upgrade the new one for $75
and give you a discount of $30 for the old one.
Include the plungers, springs and housings.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #12 - 06/12/14 at 16:02:54

Like they said, the problem is not your tensioner, it's your chain.  During use, with heating and cooling and pressure on them, they stretch. When stretched enough, you get the tensioner coming apart or just about to come apart.

The factory will tell you it's time for a new timing chain. But, the chain is nowhere near out of it's serviceable limits according to the factory specs.

Verslagen's tensioner lets you continue to extend the tensioner outwards to get full life of the chain by having an extra hole so the plunger stays back in the body and you still get the tension you need.

Versy:
Has anyone ever made a manual tensioner or done any kind of testing to see if the automatic tensioner is actually causing the chain to stretch so quickly?

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Reply #13 - 06/12/14 at 19:01:44

Demin wrote on 06/11/14 at 16:06:35:
Verslagen has saved many Savages with his design.That's actually what brought me to this site...Years ago.I got extremely lucky.

This makes me wonder just how many more Savages are thumping down the road because of this nifty little mod.

For me, just knowing that it's installed makes me want to keep the machine running longer. I pay closer attention to maintenance, double check torque and valve clearances.

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 06/12/14 at 21:20:46

Steve H wrote on 06/12/14 at 16:02:54:
Versy:
Has anyone ever made a manual tensioner or done any kind of testing to see if the automatic tensioner is actually causing the chain to stretch so quickly?

There has been a few that said they were going to do it, but we've never heard any more about.

There are several ways to wash a cat, most will leave you bloodly and the smart ones send the job out.   Cool

The mean ones just keep flushing.   Huh

We test by experience and measure by observation.
The only difference between long mileage and short are long trips vs. short.  The more miles you put on a heat cycle, the longer it lives.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 20:38:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Tensioner Seems Loose

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.