Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Brought home a non running 2003 LS650 today help!! (Read 269 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Brought home a non running 2003 LS650 today he
Reply #15 - 06/11/14 at 08:59:58

IF ya wind up with a brand new one, clean it. Any oil ( from the manufacturing process) will blue it. Avoid the cataclysmic perverter equipped ones. They blue where the cat is, n'matter whut, cuz they get HOT..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #16 - 06/11/14 at 14:43:12

Nice find!
Yeah get it running first then mess with the other stuff. I bet new gas and a battery and it will turn over for you...if it doesn't then start the process of spark, fuel, air...these things are pretty simple once you have those things.

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #17 - 06/11/14 at 16:31:05

Tocsik wrote on 06/11/14 at 08:05:49:
Where are you finding Dyna mufflers for 20-30 bucks?
Cheapest I've found is about $45 and those have pits and scratches.  Angry

All over craigslist, Yoshi here on the forum has sold a couple for 20-30+ shipping, I found a guy at a garage sale who had 6 of them last weekend, I shoulda bought all of them from him....  Wink

IP Logged
humblegeo

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 06/11/14 at 16:43:17

Well I've pretty well determined that the battery must be shot. I put it on my 4 amp charger and after several hours it was still charging at 4 amps and getting pretty darn hot. Removed the charger and battery was only showing 10.4 volts. I think there must be an internal short. The charger amps should have started kicking back some after several hours and it shouldn't be getting hot. I'm afraid to mess with it anymore. Has anyone ever tried the Walmart Everstart battery ES14LA2 190 CCA. abt $50. I've used them on a couple of other project bikes but didn't keep the bikes long enough to see how long they last.

Someone asked about the Motorcycle Hitch Carrier. It's worked well for me. Mine is rated at 600 lbs and cost abt $200 I think. I've transported motorcycles safely on the freeway at freeway speeds for as long as 250 miles with no issue. Dallas to Houston, Austin to Houston. You can load and unload with no help. Buy good straps to use with it, that's the main thing! I have the rachet type straps that you use a 3/8 drive ratchet with. Walmart Straps.

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #19 - 06/11/14 at 17:03:00

When you're buying a battery be sure you double check where the positive and negative terminals are, left and right and front and back. Also, if you buy a serviceable battery with a vent tube, the vent outlet might keep it from fitting in the battery box, I had to notch my box for the vent so my tool box and side cover would go on right.

IP Logged
humblegeo

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 06/12/14 at 08:02:52

Looks like the previous owner tried to install some sort of a fishtail muffler maybe from a Harley?? I'll have to see what it sounds like when I get the bike running. I don't like the looks of it much though. Think I would prefer one of the shorty type Harley mufflers with baffle of course. Maybe the fishtail part can be removed.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #21 - 06/12/14 at 09:20:32

humblegeo wrote on 06/11/14 at 16:43:17:
Well I've pretty well determined that the battery must be shot. I put it on my 4 amp charger and after several hours it was still charging at 4 amps and getting pretty darn hot. Removed the charger and battery was only showing 10.4 volts.

Most motorcycle batteries warn against charging with anything more than 1.5 amps.  They aren't big batteries....and can't take a lot of amperage.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #22 - 06/12/14 at 09:32:24

Some stuff is just junk from day one,batteries are no exception. Daves right, as usual. Low current for small bat trees. You mite look into a float charger & check voltage before ya start charging. If its low voltage, heck, take the meter to the store, check it there, w/mart can charge it for ya. Anyway, a float charger wont bring one up if it is in need of much charging, but it will top one off,, In fact, youd be ahead to build a pigtail into the Savage. I get connectors from Radio Shack & put them on a float charger so I can just plug in, no clips, Ive got one on the mower, too. Theyre about 2 bucks, you get the polarity right & they only plug in one way. Easy to check V & easy to hook up. I put the male end on stuff & female on chargers. Its easy to clean up a male connector if something gets slung in it.
I wouldnt go with the float charger if its below 11 V. & even then Id keep an eye on the charger to see if it gets hot. The weak point on the HF float chargers is the wire coming out of the wall wart & the box. They break ( the insulation) & expose the wires & will twist & short. Ive melted a wall wart.. Anyway, I open them & apply PLasti Dip, let it dry, wrap them w/ electrical tape & havent had a hassle since.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
humblegeo

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 06/12/14 at 10:59:56

Appreciate the info on batteries and chargers. I've used this charger for years. Its Bigger than I prefer for motorcycles  (4amp) but it has always done the job before. It may put out 4amps but very quickly cuts back as the battery charges and I usually only charge a motorcycle battery for a couple of hours. This battery is taking the full 4amps for hours. Charger is not cutting back as it should and the battery is getting very hot. I sure wouldn't want the battery to explode on me.  I'm convensed the battery is shot. No?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #24 - 06/12/14 at 11:04:16

Im with you,, battery is done.

I sure wouldn't want the battery to explode on me.

Ive never heard of  that happening during charging, BUT,, Ive seen 2 go off. One was tied down with a makeshift tie down & distorted the case, creating a short & it blew up in a huge way,,Thankfully no one was very close. I had installed the battery on a pickup truck bed trailer that was hauling a welder. There was no "Offical" battery tray & hold down, so, I fashioned a tie down from a piece of seat belt. I guess I got 'er a bit too tight,, about 3 weeks or a month later my boss & I were walking by. He provided a "shadow" for me, I didnt get hit by anything,, The clothes he was wearing developed holes where he got nailed when they got washed,,
And I was using a grinder on the header while I was installing the Supertrapp & shot sparks too close to the vent hose on mine. Sounded like a 22 went off. I spent HOURS washing with Arm & Hammer baking soda & water, then drying.. DONT ever DO that,,

IP Logged
humblegeo

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 06/12/14 at 11:17:58

Where About in East Texas. I have Kin in Livingston.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #26 - 06/12/14 at 11:23:27

I can get to the Longview mall in under 15 minutes. I am out in the boonies North of L/view. Regardless of proximity to the mall I am only found there when I am hauled into Dillards by the wife or at Radio Shack or Sears for tools,, When the mall dies it will be partly my fault.,
Never have liked malls,,

IP Logged
humblegeo

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 06/15/14 at 20:08:03

I might keep that fishtail muffler after all. I like the way this one sounds although mine is longer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8--8fKHoSts

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 20:26:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Brought home a non running 2003 LS650 today help!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.