Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Brought home a non running 2003 LS650 today help!! (Read 269 times)
humblegeo

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Brought home a non running 2003 LS650 today help!!
06/10/14 at 19:02:50

Picked up a non running 2003 Suzuki LS 650 today that someone had attempted to turn into a chopper but didn't have much success with that adventure and eventually just lost interest gave up and sold it to me for abt $650. Has a clean title but from Georgia, I live in Texas so I hope that won't be a problem. This is my first post to the forum and I would like to post some pictures and get some advice on where to begin with the 650. . It has 7000 miles on it and supposedly was running good before the guy gave it to his nephew and he attempted to do the chopper stuff on it. I don't know what kind of muffler the guy tried to fit it with but it's very loose and probably won't work. The guy never got far enough with it to get it running again. The handlebars are way too big and cables and electrical won't reach. Where do I start with this disaster guys??  Embarrassed

I have a couple of the emgo shorty mufflers on hand that I never used. Has anyone ever tried the emgo shorty muffler with the 650?

How do you post pictures first I guess. I have a photobucket account and most of my pictures are there.

Appreciate all the help and advice I can get on this project bike.

Larry G

IMG_0156.JPG
  IP Logged
humblegeo

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Brought home a non running 2003 LS650 today he
Reply #1 - 06/10/14 at 19:08:11

Here is a picture of the muffler mess.

IMG_0162.JPG
  IP Logged
humblegeo

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 06/10/14 at 19:09:58

Another pic

IMG_0167.JPG
  IP Logged
humblegeo

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/10/14 at 19:10:56

One more

IMG_0163.JPG
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #4 - 06/10/14 at 19:14:38

For 650.00 you can do a lot of re-working. A Dyna muffler can be gotten for 20-30 bucks. If you don't like apehangers, get shorter/smaller handlebars and the cables will fit fine. 1 inch bars, you can put just about anything on these. It looks like he didn't do any mods for a new seat (the rectifier etc. are still stock, so you could just put a stock seat back on. All this stuff is cheapcheapcheap. At 7K, I'd pull the clutch cover and check the tensioner just in case. Depending on how long it has been sitting, you probably should pull the carb and clean it out, check the gas tank for rust, and while you have all that stuff off, go ahead and rejet the carb and put on a Raptor petcock (parts will be about 50.00 for both). None of this stuff is hard to do if you have any mechanical inclination. Just be sure you read a lot, there's tricks and tips for everything! Don't be afraid to ask questions, this is an awesome place! Welcome!

IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #5 - 06/10/14 at 19:23:38

the header looks to be real blue, hope its not lean seized..

IP Logged
PuffsPlus

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 06/10/14 at 19:28:09

Book mark this bad boy. Took me a few weeks to stumble on even though it's right in your face.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1181745927

I'm just about as green as you are here. Everyone seems cool and there is a lot of know how if any of the links on this page don't answer your questions.

I geeked out on it for a few days and feel like I know my bike so much better now and I've had mine for almost 3 years now.

Another quick pointer: There are a lot of people that mod their bikes here. So if you are going to take your bike back to stock this place will basically be one stop shopping. People are asking fair prices and at one point someone offered to give me something free of charge if I would only pay the shipping.

Good luck with your bike. Looks like you got a steal.

Boldly going forward cause I can't find reverse!
  IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Reply #7 - 06/10/14 at 20:00:14

Nice find!
You'll need the Savage Greg photo cd so you can see where things are supposed to be:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1199986392
Download it, unzip it. Very good photography of the savage, you could spend hours going through his photos.

I would start on carb, tank cleaning, and order a battery. I've used the Big Crank battery for the last 4 years, never had a problem.

That's a nice motorcycle rack. What kind is it? Was it hard to get the machine up on it? Did it hold the bike well while you took it back home?

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #8 - 06/10/14 at 20:41:02

Change the oil to the Rotella so popular on this forum. Put in some petrol and see if it starts, you may have to turn the petcock to prime to do this, don't give it any throttle initially, use full choke. If it doesn't start after three or four short goes with the side stand up and the clutch lever pulled in, then you can start with carb cleaning and so on.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #9 - 06/11/14 at 00:04:16

Looks like the important stuff is there. Planning ahead for mods is fine, but I wouldn't spend a dime on it until that engine is running. If it runs you have a good starting point at a decent price. You're at the right place for help. Good luck.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 06/11/14 at 03:21:17

You got a project.....it can be fun to bring stuff back from the dead.  Most likely cleaning the fuel system and getting a battery will get it running again.  The parts you need can be had pretty easily - anyone doing a RYCA conversion will be removing the parts you need from their bike and putting them up for sale.  Check the Louisville, KY Craigslist - there is a fellow down there that is always converting another RYCA.

The EMGO is horribly loud on this bike - but it can be fixed to be usable.  It needs and angle adapter to fit well, RYCA sells one on their website that is specifically made for the EMGO and Savage.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 06/11/14 at 04:45:31

The ramblings of a guy while he organizes his shop..

"Is'goes over there,,

That goes under there

Emgo, in the trash..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #12 - 06/11/14 at 08:05:49

S-P wrote on 06/10/14 at 19:14:38:
... A Dyna muffler can be gotten for 20-30 bucks. ...

Where are you finding Dyna mufflers for 20-30 bucks?
Cheapest I've found is about $45 and those have pits and scratches.  Angry

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 06/11/14 at 08:38:17

Look for a shop that works on HDs other than the dealership. Some guys buy a bike & take it straight to a shop & have the exhaust & other things changed. Ive seen people buy new pickups & take them straight to a tire shop for custom wheels & tires. YOu can get brand new "used" tires sometimes.. Some people have more $$$ than sense.. Id run them till they were worn, anyway,.,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 06/11/14 at 08:46:50

When I was looking for a DYNA....I placed a listing on the local Craigslist.  I got several offers, one as low as $ 15 each.  I ended up buying a pair that only had 200 miles on them for $ 80, and sold the other one for $ 40.  The really shiny ones seemed worth the extra cash as my bike was like new.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 20:33:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Brought home a non running 2003 LS650 today help!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.