ME 888 and the "stop" (Read 90 times)
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
ME 888 and the "stop"
06/10/14 at 11:51:28

So  Saturday I made a trip down to a state park about 150 miles away. During the trip, while still trying to get out of the city the SUV in front of me did a sudden stop. I of course had to do likewise. It went like this:

I see the SUV rushing up to me ( actually I to it)
I panic and slam on the rear brake only.. well not slam to the floor, just a good jab
NOTHING HAPPENS
SO I press harder...
NOTHING HAPPENS
So I press
suddenly the rear begins to fish... aha I have locked it up.. finally feedback
MATRIX MOMENT time warps to a slow.. clarity sets in
I left off the rear brake completely
I then depress both the rear and front.. feeling the bike hunker down and grind to a halt... BTW the engine has died
traffic is moving again.. I hit the start button
Off and away.. I do double take to make sure no one noticed...

So these ME 888... they do not squeal, nor make any sound. You cant make the give you feedback via sound.. no hops.. just nothing

is it good .. is it bad.. I dunno. I like the tires, I think they embed super gravity atoms in them so they stick better, maybe its magnets for asphalt. Still, now that I know not to expect any feedback... I kinda have to re-figure how to know what my tires are doing.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: ME 888 and the "stop"
Reply #1 - 06/10/14 at 12:05:13

It's not the tire, it's the road surface... some surfaces are squealish and some aren't...

Next lesson... Front brake, front brake, front brake!... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 06/10/14 at 12:11:18

You'll have to put the stock shoes back in so at least the brakes will squeal.   Cool

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 06/10/14 at 12:29:35

verslagen1 wrote on 06/10/14 at 12:11:18:
You'll have to put the stock shoes back in so at least the brakes will squeal.   Cool

Or you could put my wife on the back seat.....she would certainly let out a squeel when you start sliding the back tire.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #4 - 06/10/14 at 14:23:47

Tend to agree with Serowbot, the brakes should be worked in unison.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 06/10/14 at 14:36:55

jcstokes wrote on 06/10/14 at 14:23:47:
Tend to agree with Serowbot, the brakes should be worked in unison.

Oh....absolutely!  If this is not an instant reflex action....you need to keep practicing until it is.  Thankfully I had years and years of training in the dirt during my youth to make it a reflex action.....it comes in really handy on the street as well.

In a normal lazy stop at an intersection you can get sloppy with your braking.....but not when you need to stop "NOW"!

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #6 - 06/10/14 at 14:53:04

I really wouldn't recommend this; although, if that semi bumper is approaching really fast start down shifting as fast and hard as you can as well.  Certainly not good on the tranny, but better than kissing the back of the semi.   Shocked

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #7 - 06/10/14 at 16:04:32

riding dirt bikes you learn brake handling quickly, glad nothing bad happened  Wink

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #8 - 06/11/14 at 00:28:05

With more experience you will be able to downshift, break firmly front gently rear and pull in clutch and be ready to power on to stay up if you get on grass. I live 10 miles from the Trace. Beautiful ride but boring to me. I am nearly in Tn. Might be nice to ride the whole 400+ miles in a couple days.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 06/11/14 at 05:34:42

If your rear locks up before your foot knows its pushing on something you cant modulate the brake. I solved that by ( wear a mask!_) grinding slots at angles across the shoes. I probably killed about 1/3rd of the contact area. If I had it to do over I woulda ground more away,,It would still lock up too easy,, but an irreversible mod should be done in stages..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #10 - 06/11/14 at 06:50:55

I might should note that this was on the Vstar 1100.. not the trusty Savage.  Comparing the feedback from the two is like comparing how a ball bearing and a banana roll. (Savage = ball bearing)

To be sure, I need to work on standardizing my reactions to using both brakes... this was definitely a panic stop, likely due to my own in-attentiveness. However, I firmly believe that had I locked up the front brake... things would not have ended near as well. Stop and go driving at 50 MPH on a recliner on two wheels, makes for an energy draining ride.  

Given that I have been riding for 2 years... fact is I still have a lot to learn. I am mature enough to realize that.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 06/11/14 at 09:24:19

Theres nothing wrong with hitting an empty parking lot & just spending some time working on quick stops,,just look around first for anything that could compromise traction,, horizontal quick stops arent the goal.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:29:09

General CategoryThe Cafe › ME 888 and the "stop"

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.