Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
1987 Suzuki savage 650 I need help please! !!!! (Read 185 times)
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Re: 1987 Suzuki savage 650 I need help please! !!!
Reply #15 - 06/10/14 at 16:14:08

Looking at the starter motor from the gear end, it should spin clockwise.

Most bike starters have two end caps and the cylinder with the magnets in it. All this is held together by long screws.  I have seen some of the cylinders keyed the same 180º apart aparantly to allow the cylinder to be used on a bike that requires the starter to spin the other direction.  I have also seen some brush plates that could be put in 180º out from the way they were installed or the brushes could be connected backwards. Either will cause the direction of rotation to reverse.  Ask me how I know  Embarrassed

I'm convinced that your starter is turning the wrong direction.  The fact that it is engaging and turning, even though not starting the bike, should indicate the battery is in correctly.  The electronics in the decomp unit wouldn't like reverse polarity and I doubt they would do anything other than maybe release a little magic smoke.

The starter spins clockwise, causing counter-clockwise on the gear next to it, causing clockwise on the gear next to the flywheel, causing counter-clockwise on the flywheel which if looking from that side of the bike would be the direction of engine rotation. The starting clutch only catches if the gear rotates this direction. The other way, it just spins.

Since you already have the cover off, try catching the flywheel gear and rotating it counter-clockwise.  It should grab and try to turn the engine. Clockwise, it should spin pretty freely.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
squirrel83ms
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 06/24/14 at 12:20:52

Well it the starter rebuild kit I got off of eBay made it run backwards.  I used the new brushes on the old part it runs great now. Smiley

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #17 - 06/24/14 at 15:08:09

Glad to hear you got things working right again.  Now, time to enjoy prime riding time.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:25:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 1987 Suzuki savage 650 I need help please! !!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.