Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
1987 Suzuki savage 650 I need help please! !!!! (Read 185 times)
squirrel83ms
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

1987 Suzuki savage 650 I need help please! !!!!
06/09/14 at 18:19:54

My 87 suzuki savage 650 ran amazing until the starter started sticking so I cleaned the starter and it still would not work the brushes where wore out so I rebuild the starter.  Now my problem the starter runs so good it spins the two sprockets back with out even turning the fly wheel.  I took the cover off and watched the starter spin the sprockets right off. The only thing I did different was when the wire out starter was giving me problems I up the battery from 190 cold cranking amps to newer battery with 220 cold cranking amps. ??? An now u engage the starter and all it does is spin the two sprockets back and the starter spins with out making contact to the fly wheel? ??? But it ran good before? ??? Please if any one can help me???

old-in-old-case.jpg
  IP Logged
squirrel83ms
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: 1987 Suzuki savage 650 I need help please! !!!
Reply #1 - 06/09/14 at 18:27:22

I need to get my bike back on the road my Chevy z71. Is killing me in gas while my bike is down Sad

IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #2 - 06/09/14 at 19:26:40

I'm not sure if I understand your problem, never had the strter off mine, or the cover off

.... but... the starter is a DC motor, any chance it's spinning backwards -i.e. you got the polarity reversed? So the gear on the starter is not spinning out to engage the flywheel?

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #3 - 06/09/14 at 20:36:29

more info please, we will help you through this

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
squirrel83ms
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/10/14 at 02:18:14

it. looks like it's spinning there right direction but it keeps spinning the Sprockets  back.but I'm not sure could it be battery 220 cca.vs 190 cca?

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #5 - 06/10/14 at 03:45:01

It's not the battery.  It will only supply the amount of power necessary for whatever is using the power.  You just have a little more in reserve for cranking.  

I think you've got the starter motor spinning backwards.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
squirrel83ms
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 06/10/14 at 03:46:21

I bought this bike used guy said it needed a carb. He had trouble with the starter was sticking after a while out in the hot son the guy finely got the bike to run with starting fluid.  I only paid $400 for the bike to save money on my long drive to work. I changed the battery to a new 220 cca. Cleaned and rebuilt the carb and noticed he had the needle jet upside down. I fixed it changed spark plug air filter and oil. Bike fired up and ran amazing then the starter started sticking so I cleaned the starter had lots of dust and debe in it. The brushes where wore out so I bought a rebuild kit on ebay. Now all it dose is spin the sprockets back and does not spin the fly wheel.  Motor has good compression.  I do not know what else to do.  I don't have the $$$ for a shop to fix it.???

IP Logged
squirrel83ms
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 06/10/14 at 03:50:24

If the starter is spinning back wards how could I change that? Only one cable going to the starter?

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #8 - 06/10/14 at 04:18:08

If the starter is spinning backwards there are only three possible reasons that I can think of.

-Either something got wired wrong when it was rebuilt, or magnets assembled in the wrong positions.
-The new battery has the position of the negative and positive in the wrong place and that is wired wrong.
-The housing isn't aligned  properly, I've never had our starter out so I'm not sure if it's possible to put it in wrong. But I know some other bikes it is possible to miss-align the starter housing putting the magnets in the wrong positions and  causing the starter to spin backwards.

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 06/10/14 at 07:28:04

squirrel83ms wrote on 06/09/14 at 18:19:54:
My 87 suzuki savage 650 ran amazing until the starter started sticking so I cleaned the starter and it still would not work the brushes where wore out so I rebuild the starter.  Now my problem the starter runs so good it spins the two sprockets back with out even turning the fly wheel.  I took the cover off and watched the starter spin the sprockets right off. The only thing I did different was when the wire out starter was giving me problems I up the battery from 190 cold cranking amps to newer battery with 220 cold cranking amps. ??? An now u engage the starter and all it does is spin the two sprockets back and the starter spins with out making contact to the fly wheel? ??? But it ran good before? ??? Please if any one can help me???

Seems pretty simple to me, you rebuilt the starter, now it runs backwards. do you think you put it back together wrong?

WWW   IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #10 - 06/10/14 at 07:55:45

if you take the starter off the bike and run the motor (with jumper cables or something) does the gear spin out away from the starter motor, then go back down when it stops?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 06/10/14 at 10:19:08

runwyrlph wrote on 06/10/14 at 07:55:45:
if you take the starter off the bike and run the motor (with jumper cables or something) does the gear spin out away from the starter motor, then go back down when it stops?

The starter on our bike does not work this way.....the gear stays in the same location all the time, and is engaged with the intermediate gear all the time.  The way our starter works is the big gear on the flywheel has a one way clutch on it....and the starter can drive the flywheel - but the moving flywheel cannot move the starter.

Dave

« Last Edit: 06/10/14 at 12:25:05 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #12 - 06/10/14 at 11:07:22

Wups!  
Embarrassed
Sorry - showing my ignorance.  I was thinking like typical car starter.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 06/10/14 at 11:36:43

Dave wrote on 06/10/14 at 10:19:08:
The way our starter works is the big gear on the flywheel has a one way clutch on it....and the starter can drive the flywheel - but the moving flywheel cannot move the starter.

unless it goes backwards, then you're really are FUBAR

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 06/10/14 at 12:26:30

verslagen1 wrote on 06/10/14 at 11:36:43:
Dave wrote on 06/10/14 at 10:19:08:
The way our starter works is the big gear on the flywheel has a one way clutch on it....and the starter can drive the flywheel - but the moving flywheel cannot move the starter.

unless it goes backwards, then you're really are FUBAR

Yep....I didn't want to cause a panic....so I thought it was better not to mention that unfortunate possibility.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:19:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 1987 Suzuki savage 650 I need help please! !!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.