Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lightning strikes moving Pickup Truck (Read 101 times)
RatdogWillie
Serious Thumper

Nostalgia isn't what
it used to be...

Johnstown, PA.
Lightning strikes moving Pickup Truck
06/08/14 at 20:59:10

Canada : Lightning strikes moving Pickup Truck caught on Security Camera
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uJssAUdZ8A#t=20

What was the best thing before sliced bread?
Why is it called tourist season if we can't shoot them?
How is it possible to have a civil war?
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Lightning strikes moving Pickup Truck
Reply #1 - 06/08/14 at 23:04:57

yep that was a good one
left huge holes in pavement
truck was said to be totaled
something was melted
and doors would not open.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 06/09/14 at 08:29:25

YIKES!!  Ive been told numerous times lightening wont hit a car because the tires have them insulated,, maybe old dude was dragging something? Looked like 2 wheels were making good enough of a ground to pass enough current to blow the asphalt up, tho.. Man,, that was somethin!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #3 - 06/09/14 at 10:28:43

"YIKES!!  Ive been told numerous times lightening wont hit a car because the tires have them insulated."

Nothing can protect a car from getting hit by lightning. The tires are not enough insulation to make much difference. If the lightning can jump thousands of feet through the air, the 5 inches of car tire is nothing. The advantage of being in vehicle when lightning strikes is that the car body provides protection from electrical shock because it is a primative Faraday cage. Objects inside such a cage are protected from electrical shock because the current grounds through the cage.

That car DID protect the occupants. If they would not have been inside the car, they would have been DEAD.

Edit: Correction on Faraday cages. The cage dissipates the charge through the entire cage, thus cancelling the charge for occupants inside the cage.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 06/09/14 at 11:16:40

Their breathing problems are most likely from the air bags deploying and the explosives that inflated the bags.

That.....along with getting the daylights spooked out of Ya! Shocked

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 06/09/14 at 20:36:15

There woulda been plenty of "breathing problems" if I had been in there. When MY air bag "deploys" the explosive that drives IT has a kinda brownish tint to it,, Need more than a rear view air freshener, ya know wha ahm sayun, huhh?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #6 - 06/10/14 at 06:08:55

Grounding is for conductivity creating a path of least resistance, but just because something is grounded doesn't mean it can handle a huge overload of current.....IE: Lightning   Shocked

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 06/10/14 at 06:35:49

Absolutely,., all that a little drag chain would do is establish flow.,,.the ionized air would take the place of the vaporized chain,,My Big Question is

Those 2 holes in the asphalt look to be about "wheel" distance apart.

Soo,, is that what jumped the voltage down? Im not "getting" exactly where the current went. I see the top O th truck,, looks covered, then,, meeeh,, its all too fast for me,

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 06/10/14 at 11:01:07

I would guess the lighting passed through the metal shell and frame of the truck, then jumped the air gap from the bumpers down to the pavement.

I inspected a school that had a brick chimney that received a lightning strike.  The brick was blown away from the crack it made in the chimney, and there was a trail of broken brick that was laying on the roof, then out into the front yard of the school about 100 feet.  Weird....it blew everthing out in a straight line.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 06/11/14 at 09:31:44

I had a red oak that got hit,,It blew parts of it UP & where it passed down the trunk it dried it, fireplace ready, kinda harsh on the chainsaw blade,,Smiley & blew dirt off the top of lots of the roots as far away from the base as 12 to 15 feet..I was riding up towards the house when it hit. I was problee 200 yards or so away. The flash, the immediate CRASH of the thunder,, I jumped so hard I nearly crashed the bike,

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #10 - 06/13/14 at 07:39:15

Was at a friends house when lightning struck a small pine tree (20') in his back yard next to his corner fence.
The lightning split the tree and blew his fence post apart at the top.
Ground smoldered around it for about half an hour, we didn't go out till the next morning when the storm stopped.
When we were digging the next week to replace the fence post we found that the roots of the tree were like glass, hard and shattered when hit with a shovel....it had crystalized the sap in the tree.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
BalingWire

"The savage in
man is never quite
eradicated."
HDT

Wauseon, Ohio
Reply #11 - 06/17/14 at 08:15:49

Another good reason to not have electric windows in my pick-em-up truck.

"The satisfactions of manifesting oneself concretely in the world through manual competence have been known to make a man quiet and easy."
Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry Into the Value of Work
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 06/18/14 at 11:11:48

My sister had a house hit. It followed the wiring thru a coupla rooms, blowing the sheetrock up along the path of the wires. Didnt burn the place , no fires, but a path in all the sheetrock a few inches wide where wires were close,,

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 04:27:35

General CategoryThe Cafe › Lightning strikes moving Pickup Truck

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.