Send Topic Print
I used Rislone ZDDP (Read 115 times)
RangerRide
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

I used Rislone ZDDP
06/08/14 at 08:40:50

So this is my second post on here and it seems I have already made a mistake. I got antsy and bought the only ZDDP treatment I could find locally before reading all the info. Just changed the oil using Rotella T6 synthetic and the Rislone.

Can I keep it in there until the next oil change or should I just change it now and order Redline? I have only ridden it around the block so far.

2006 with 5500 miles on it.

Also I am a new rider and I may bot be able to notice if something is slightly wrong or out of wack.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: I used Rislone ZDDP
Reply #1 - 06/08/14 at 09:19:43

How much Rislone did ya dump in?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
RangerRide
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 06/08/14 at 09:28:54

A shot glass full plus a half one. The bottle said to use 2oz per quart, so a little less than that.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 06/08/14 at 09:35:22

Well,, I dont know that ya goofed up, but I dont know ya didnt, either, so, ya mite wanna hold off on runnin it till some of these other folks chime in,,
You can save $$ & have LOONG engine life by just running PLain Ol Rotella T 15/40. Its really a brutally crude engine design,,
One guy here tried the Synth stuff,, said the bike used oil, went back to Dino & things work good.. YMMV..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
RangerRide
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/08/14 at 10:06:04

Thanks I'll hold off until I hear more.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #5 - 06/08/14 at 16:55:52

Some people can't make a move without research and careful planning. While I believe 100% in education, I like anecdotal advice coupled with experience. There are people on here who have done some fine engineering on their bikes but are conservative in their approach to someone new to riding or wrenching. I am one of those, as is Justin o guy, serowbot, verslagen, old feller, kimchris, and I'm coming up blank. Anyway, a good bunch. I love Rislone, but I would not risk it with our wet clutch. People who are afraid to start an oil war send personal messages about the upper end being quieter with Rotella. I agree. I personally would dump my oil, not even worry about the filter, two quarts<>of Rotella Dino or Synthetic and ride the thing. I was "bullied" into using Rotella by my friends who have rows of trophies won with Kawa KLR's and KTM's. That was about 14,000 miles ago. And rest assured, the engineers among us will let us know when we need to change from Rotella. my thanks to them. Now get out and ride. Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
RangerRide
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 06/08/14 at 18:50:19

Some people can't make a move without research and careful planning. While I believe 100% in education, I like anecdotal advice coupled with experience. There are people on here who have done some fine engineering on their bikes but are conservative in their approach to someone new to riding or wrenching. I am one of those, as is Justin o guy, serowbot, verslagen, old feller, kimchris, and I'm coming up blank. Anyway, a good bunch. I love Rislone, but I would not risk it with our wet clutch. People who are afraid to start an oil war send personal messages about the upper end being quieter with Rotella. I agree. I personally would dump my oil, not even worry about the filter, two quarts<>of Rotella Dino or Synthetic and ride the thing. I was "bullied" into using Rotella by my friends who have rows of trophies won with Kawa KLR's and KTM's. That was about 14,000 miles ago. And rest assured, the engineers among us will let us know when we need to change from Rotella. my thanks to them. Now get out and ride.

Thanks for the advice. I saw something about the wet clutch and the other additives and just wanted to make sure.  I'll take conservative advice from you guys and fool around until I figure it out from here on out. You are not educated until you have experience. Good thing I bought 4 quarts.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 06/09/14 at 04:23:41

This is what Rislone has posted on their website for the product:

Use as directed in gasoline & diesel engines, antique & classic cars, motorcycles (4 stroke except wet clutch), tractors, agricultural & industrial machinery, and all racing applications.

So if the manufacturer tells you not to use it in a wet clutch application - why haven't you dumped it out already?

The problem is that in addition to ZDDP they must either have friction modifiers or something that makes the oil tacky - and if you continue to use it you may develop a clutch that slips.  Once they start slipping it is sometimes difficult to make them stop....without buying new plates.  Taking the clutch apart and cleaning it sometimes works, flushing out with a few oil changes sometimes works.

Get it out, change your oil to something like Rotella T that is known to work well.  If you want to add some ZDDP use the Redline or Eastwood.

Recommended oils and ZDDP additives:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1344471565

Dave

« Last Edit: 06/09/14 at 09:11:31 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 06/09/14 at 06:53:26

Okay, ya screwed up, dump it, dont mess w/ the filter..YOu may be happier w/ the dino 15/40..

IP Logged
RangerRide
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 06/09/14 at 18:06:07

Dumped it last night and put just the Rotella back in. Never rode it with the Rislone in it, realized I may have made a mistake after reading some more on here. Thanks for the clarification as I'm sure I made you guys role your eyes and say d@X! newb. Really enjoying the bike so far and like knowing that you guys are here for questions.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #10 - 06/09/14 at 19:45:28

We were all newbs once. The only time I rolled my eyes was when a guy asked what spark plugs we used. Then he asked where he could get one. Grin Now that's just lazy.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 06/09/14 at 21:21:28

I drove these guys NUTS when I first started..

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #12 - 06/10/14 at 11:59:14

Actually I bought the exact same thing .. then read the posts on here and the CALLED the company. They said DONT USE IT! it does have friction modifiers ( moly).

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 06:36:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I used Rislone ZDDP

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.