Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Is bigger better?
Reply #30 - 06/10/14 at 07:07:50

One time on the interstate traffic came to a quick stop for some reason.  I stopped a few lengths back.....and when I looked in my mirror I saw a fully loaded semi headed my way.  I continued to watch him and noticed he was not slowing down......and then I saw the blue smoke roling out from the fenders and I heard the bellowing of big tires sliding down the pavement.  I turned the wheel, hit the gas and shot down the berm for a couple of car lengths.  The folks in those others cars all looked at my kind of nasty.....they didn't know what I was doing.  About then the semi got stopped and was occupying the space I just left....and all of us got covered in tire smoke. The folks then realized why I had left my previous place in line.

I was sooooo thankful I had looked in my mirror....and had a place to go.  And I also hope that if I ever need to do this again.....it works out that well.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #31 - 06/10/14 at 07:54:47

On emergency stops in traffic always try to arrange to wind up "upstream" either between two cars or on the shoulder of the road.

Even then they can get you -- Verslagen did the "dodge to the right shoulder of the road" and had a F110 truck behind him go to the shoulder too and it still ran him over.

I tend to stay in the left lane at all times so I tend to dodge left when I have to.   The left center space between the traffic directions is large and unused (mostly).

Once, with my wife in the car, I dodged left, avoided the big car pile up and wound up completely in the grassy center median ....  I then turned the car around 180 and joined the rubbernecking opposing traffic flow before the cops even showed up.

Believe it or not, my wife gave me no shite for this maneuver as the choices for not doing it were grave and readily visible as we drove past the 12 car pile up that we could have been part of if I hadn't dodged left.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #32 - 06/11/14 at 11:13:31

'Bigger' is relative.   For several years I mostly rode a XT-225 DS. It worked just fine.  However, on a windy day, going up a hill, I just wish I had a little more, power.  But I didn't want a 800+ pound bike. And I didn't need 800/1000/1400 CC's.

Looked around, and found, a bike that was 650CC, BUT, only weighed 100 lbs more than the XT-225. (Which was Not a, 'dirt bike' or DS)
I knew 400-600 CC was good enough power, from my short interludes, with late 70 early 80's,  Honda/Kowi/Yam 400 - 600's.  But just to much headache, to fix this, than fix that, then find this part, then that part., etc etc. Not to mention, 'sinking' carb's.

So, I did go bigger.  To the S-40.

But going to a 1200 + CC, 1,000 pound one.
If that becomes the, 'need', then, probably a Can Am.
(With a 'Cup Holder")  Smiley

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
NHLycan

Nice forum!

New Hampshire
Reply #33 - 06/12/14 at 15:02:58

You hang onto that lady.
Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 06/10/14 at 07:54:47:

Believe it or not, my wife gave me no shite for this maneuver as the choices for not doing it were grave and readily visible as we drove past the 12 car pile up that we could have been part of if I hadn't dodged left.

New Hampshire. 2003 SL650. 13k miles. Raptor installed. Versy adjuster. Rotella 6 w/zinc. Idle mix plug out. Seat front up 1". Owned since July 2013. Mechanically inclined. Better cook than mechanic.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 08:35:21

General CategoryThe Cafe › Is bigger better?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.