oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Re: Is bigger better?
Reply #15 - 06/07/14 at 08:51:58

Quote:
But heck, should I tell her we need bigger chairs cuz her "seat" ain't as pert as it once was?  Shocked

I'm thinking if I do, maybe I need a bigger, faster bike.....

to outrun her as she tries to run me down in het truck  Grin

Wife: "Do these pants make me look fat?"

Husband: "Do these pants make me look STUPID?"

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #16 - 06/07/14 at 23:15:58

Serowbot wrote on 06/06/14 at 23:44:45:
I own 8 guitars, and 7 amps... but I wish I only owned 3, and 2...
Yet,.. I almost bought another one last week... it took great willpower to say no...

Oh man do I have some gear for you! Any interest in a mid-80's Strat, a 30 year anniversary 1960 Les Paul, or a pre-serial numbered (one of the first 450!) Les Paul Gold Top?  Or maybe a mid-80's hot rodded Twin Reverb?  Really...  Shocked

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 06/08/14 at 06:15:33

Id haul tthat Les paul to Las Vegas & sell it to the Pawn Stars,, Sounds VERY valuable,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #18 - 06/08/14 at 06:43:22

I've had a bunch of Savages.I use the ED_L forward control extensions and I'm comfortable on them.I have an 800 Intruder and it is the most uncomfortable thing I think I've ever ridden.There are tricks to move the controls on them too.But it's just not a well planned out bike.I love my Harley Shovelhead.If I'm riding 2 up I will take it.I just started a thread,that hopefully I can swap the Intruder for a Savage I custom built for a guy.Oh and I'm 6'3",270ish.I don't need a big bike to compensate for anything.

I'm sorry I ever sold my '86  :'(

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #19 - 06/08/14 at 06:57:00

Serowbot wrote on 06/07/14 at 08:49:41:
I rode a 225cc bike for about 6 years...
I was never ashamed of the size or power,...
...but it looked like a parakeet with wheels... Huh...

That's what got me into a Savage...
Grin...

me too, GZ250 and put 11k miles on her before moving up to the s40..
wanted to run the interstate at the same speed as everybody else  Grin

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #20 - 06/08/14 at 07:55:22

Oh and I'm 6'3",270ish.I don't need a big bike to compensate for anything.

Uh.....no you don't, SIR  Kiss

I put the dyna on her yesterday, not sure what I did right this time, but it snaps smartly and has a very throaty sound on decel now with no loud bf'ing.
I did fit 2 10MM X 1.25 nuts, one on each location under the foot brake heat-shield to bring it out a tad to where my header seems to want to sit naturally. I used a longer carriage bolt on the dyna using additional "jam nuts" to push it further away from the bracket too. Seems to line up way better and no leaks at the header flange or muffler join.

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #21 - 06/08/14 at 08:12:10

Id a whole lot rather wonder what I did right than wonder what I did wrong..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #22 - 06/08/14 at 09:06:39

raydawg wrote on 06/06/14 at 21:19:26:
... Now if I was doing an interstate commute, I could agree, as the thumper gets pushed around....
Rode 570 miles on the Interstate one day, rode 510 miles the next day.  Riders can get pushed around, the Savage is Jes' Fine on the Interstates.  Even my Vespa doesn't get pushed about on the Interstate, altho' I will admit it is a bit slow.

...  the Rebel, its smallness was in fact a liability, often leaving me in a precarious situation due to my misjudgments of traffic, etc....  
Misjudgement of traffic will get you into trouble, not the bike.  A bigger bike can get you into bigger trouble.  I started on the streets with a pedal bike, knowing I am squishable. A decade later I got a new Honda Sport 50 (no step through cub for me!), 100cc that went on the freeway, a DT175 for over a decade in L.A. and in the Mojave....  I have learned traffic.  Judgement will keep you safe.  A Road King or a Vespa is the same to a SUV.

I know some of you have a lot of riding smarts, years upon two wheels, and you choose to ride this bike, why?....  
Why the Savage?  A retread in 2004, looking at 250 cruisers -- all 330 pounds, all capable on the freeway, the Rebel pokes my thighs, the Virago has this weird pods, the GZ is interesting ... until I noticed the Savage -- just 50 pounds heavier with a 652cc single?  Found one to sit on, it fit very good, so I found one and bought it.  A bit heavy, not too bad.  Wickedly quick.  Mileage not too bad.  You can flog it fast or you can be lazy, bike don't care.  The only thing the Savage doesn't do is high speed, over 85 mph.  But then, I don't need to be the fastest thing on the road.

... Would you get a different bike if it was readily doable? ....
Did.  I was retired.  Wanted my last bike, one that will do me until I want to ride out into the Mojave and hide and die.  I considered a bigger bike.  I considered a new S40.  I considered a TU250.  But it is getting not fun swinging over the saddle.  So I got a Vespa LX150.

"Better" is a variable.  If you want big, bigger is better.  If you want small, smaller is better.  I like the people on this forum because we have all liked the different, have all learned the truth:

** RIDE YOUR OWN RIDE **

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #23 - 06/08/14 at 09:15:18

& over time, how & what YOU want can change,,just make sure any change you decide to make is REALLY because of what YOU want,,

Once upon a time Paladin had

A 250 will do it, but a 650 makes it fun

for a tag line. Now, he is having fun on a smaller bike,,
Is he a hypocrite? Nope, his needs & desires changed..

No one goaded or guilted him into changing,,

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #24 - 06/08/14 at 14:43:38

Just my .02.  I've had my S40 for 8 years and have used it for my primary means of transportation for the last 1.5 years. In my experience the only place where it would be better to have more cc's is entering metropolitan areas on the interstate.  That is to say the average speed is 75 in the slow lane.  I had one other time I was going down the interstate at 70 mph following a couple 800 lbs cruisers and they must have accelerated to 85 - 90 to get around a semi.  That would have been good too.  I got boxed in with one in the front, back, and side.  That is a pretty awful feeling knowing you are cannon fodder and their is nothing you can do about it.  Other than that it is superb.  It will do the super-slab all day at 70 mph.  The TKAT I put on helps tremendously as well.  Just MHO.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #25 - 06/09/14 at 01:57:20

If you're a bigger dude, maybe it is a good idea to get a bigger bike. Nothing wrong with the way a Savage will haul a big guy around, they just look a bit comical: Big bloke, small bike. Part of the Savage thing (and bikes in general I guess) for me, is Lookin' Good. I'm lucky, I'm a smaller person (62kg) and the Savage fits me great. I picked up an Aprilia RSV1000 the other day and it feels like i could fit my whole family on it. Call me shallow, but there's too much choice out there to ride a bike that doesn't look good or fit well.

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #26 - 06/09/14 at 05:24:37

There was a couple times when I lived in Dallas that I was glad I had the Savage rather than my HD.I had a guy come up on me while I was stopped in the highway(go figure,Dallas)And he wasn't stopping.I split lanes just to move and sure as I'm sitting here,he didn't stop.Plowed the guy that was in front of me.My HD wouldn't have fit.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #27 - 06/09/14 at 09:31:38

Demin wrote on 06/09/14 at 05:24:37:
There was a couple times when I lived in Dallas that I was glad I had the Savage rather than my HD.I had a guy come up on me while I was stopped in the highway(go figure,Dallas)And he wasn't stopping.I split lanes just to move and sure as I'm sitting here,he didn't stop.Plowed the guy that was in front of me.My HD wouldn't have fit.

It would have after he flattened it! Good goin, man,, stay awake, stay alive,, & NEVER forget, if the bike isnt in a position to get away, drop it & run,, & shame on you for not thinking ahead,

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #28 - 06/09/14 at 12:40:58

I always think ahead.Drving truck taught me that.Watching behind me saved my arse.Can't do a whole lot when 5 lanes of traffic come to a stop.I leave about a car length or more,so if I have to swerve or whatever,I have the room to do it.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #29 - 06/10/14 at 06:41:20

Always.. I stop ( when driving a car even) far enough back I can go around whatever is in front of me. My family all think Im nuts. Every time I see someone stuck in a line because theyre behind some clown who ran outta gas or something,, If its NOT a safety issue, & it is, its still a super hassle to get jammed up like that.,.,

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 08:34:29

General CategoryThe Cafe › Is bigger better?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.