Send Topic Print
Front Brake Pad Install (Read 96 times)
Beagle

1998 Suzuki Savage

Ohio
Front Brake Pad Install
06/06/14 at 19:25:43

So, I followed the directions here:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1177184106

however, I can't get the caliper back on the rotor with the new pads in.  Any suggestions?  Is there a way to get the brake pads a little farther apart to get them on the rotor?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Front Brake Pad Install
Reply #1 - 06/06/14 at 19:47:17

What pads are you using... some are the same but thicker.

one trick is to use one of the old pads for awhile.

WWW   IP Logged
Beagle

1998 Suzuki Savage

Ohio
Reply #2 - 06/07/14 at 00:53:37

verslagen1 wrote on 06/06/14 at 19:47:17:
What pads are you using... some are the same but thicker.

one trick is to use one of the old pads for awhile.

I am using the EBC FA106 ones

IP Logged
Beagle

1998 Suzuki Savage

Ohio
Reply #3 - 06/07/14 at 02:38:33

Once I get the brake pads in and hand tight the brake pad pin, I can't seem to get the caliper to slide on the rotor.  The brake piston is all the way in as well.   It looks like the pads are in straight but when I go to put the caliper on the wheel, it seems I can only get to one of the bolt and can't get the other bolt to line up.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 06/07/14 at 03:53:46

Did you use a "C" clamp to compress the caliper back all the way inside the housing?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Beagle

1998 Suzuki Savage

Ohio
Reply #5 - 06/07/14 at 06:53:07

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 06/07/14 at 03:53:46:
Did you use a "C" clamp to compress the caliper back all the way inside the housing?

Yes

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #6 - 06/07/14 at 07:03:13

Sounds like the pads are far enough apart for you to get the caliper back over the rotor and get one of the bolts on? Those pads should be fine, especially if the piston is all the way in as you say.  Be sure both pads are seated in the rotor all the way.  There's a square cutout in the rotor where the tab on the pads seats and there are clips up inside the rotor to keep the pads in the correct alignment.  I just put those pads on mine 2 days ago. One problem I had was the hole for the pin in one of the pads wouldn't allow the pin to slide through it because of a thin ridge of metal or paint. I just stuck an Allen wrench through the hole and reamed it at an angle.
With the pin not going all the way through, I had a similar problem you are describing.
Check those things and report back!

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Beagle

1998 Suzuki Savage

Ohio
Reply #7 - 06/07/14 at 08:11:32

Tocsik wrote on 06/07/14 at 07:03:13:
Sounds like the pads are far enough apart for you to get the caliper back over the rotor and get one of the bolts on? Those pads should be fine, especially if the piston is all the way in as you say.  Be sure both pads are seated in the rotor all the way.  There's a square cutout in the rotor where the tab on the pads seats and there are clips up inside the rotor to keep the pads in the correct alignment.  I just put those pads on mine 2 days ago. One problem I had was the hole for the pin in one of the pads wouldn't allow the pin to slide through it because of a thin ridge of metal or paint. I just stuck an Allen wrench through the hole and reamed it at an angle.
With the pin not going all the way through, I had a similar problem you are describing.
Check those things and report back!

Yeah, I can get 1 of the bolts on but not the other.  I will try doing them again.  

IP Logged
Beagle

1998 Suzuki Savage

Ohio
Reply #8 - 06/07/14 at 20:45:40

I was FINALLY able to get the front brake on!  Whew! It was driving me crazy!  I was in the garage acting like my Dad use to when he was working on his car.  LOL!  I took her for a ride and it seemed to do fine.  Thanks again everyone for the suggestions and putting up with my frustration because of my lack of mechanical skill.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 06/07/14 at 21:58:24

What was in the way? What did ya do that finally made it go?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Beagle

1998 Suzuki Savage

Ohio
Reply #10 - 06/08/14 at 06:31:31

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/07/14 at 21:58:24:
What was in the way? What did ya do that finally made it go?

There was a small metal pin that helped hold the pads in that I took out and cleaned really good and put it back in.   That's really the only different thing I did and it finally slipped on.  Maybe it was just luck that I finally got it on or my Dad's spirit from heaven coming down and lending me a hand but nevertheless, it's on and seems to be working OK.  Smiley  

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 00:48:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Front Brake Pad Install

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.