Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
help changing the petcock and related bits (Read 59 times)
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
help changing the petcock and related bits
06/06/14 at 13:32:35

I picked up my 3/8" fuel line (that stuff is H U G E compared to stock!) and assortment of vacuum caps yesterday in preparation for swapping out the stock petcock for the Raptor.
The auto shop I tried didn't have quick clamps for that size tubing and the fuel filter they had was way too big.

Where did you guys find quick clamps for the 3/8" tubing?
Is 3/8 too big?  I've been reading the posts as much as possible and it seems like the best way to go.  Will the ID be too big for a quick clamp to seal it on the nipples?
Where is a good place to try and find the right fuel filter?  MC shop?  I want to be sure I don't restrict flow to the carb and make the bike run lean.

Thanks for the help.  Great forum.  I put new brake pads on front  last night and took some super-fine sand paper to the rotor.  What a great improvement!  Oil change is this weekend and, hopefully, Raptor + fuel filter. Cool
Oh, and try and get extra keys made.  Only got 1 set at purchase.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Re: help changing the petcock and related bits
Reply #1 - 06/06/14 at 13:36:41

I had an M/C fuel filter with the Raptor and the bike wouldn't run. Ditched the inline filter and runs great. A couple other folks on the forum had the same problem. Personally, I'd ditch the inline filter.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 06/06/14 at 13:38:17

The 3/8" fuel line is too big....you want 5/16" or 98mm fuel line.  You also don't want tubing with the braided reinforcement that you will get from most auto stores.  You need to go to a motorcycle dealer and get the correct tubing for a motorycle.  Some lawn mower shops may also have the correct fuel line.

If your tank is clean and not rusty, and you have the filters on the petcock - I would not recommend using and inline filter.

Dave

« Last Edit: 06/06/14 at 15:47:23 by verslagen1 »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #3 - 06/06/14 at 18:20:37

when you get the correct fuel line and toss away the in-line filter,
you can use nylon zip-ties as a clamp

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #4 - 06/06/14 at 19:20:02

Well, doggone it.  Now I'm confused.   Undecided

I was going by Oldfeller's thread in the Technical Section about adding an inline filter.  He says to use 3/8" hose and to add the filter.  It looks like WD agrees with using a filter and these guys seem like long-time members.

Since the stock petcock has a built-in screen, I sure would like to add some protection to the jets from particles when I install the Raptor.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #5 - 06/06/14 at 21:03:28

The Raptor also has a built in screen in the tank. You can try the inline filter. You can always take it off if you have problems with gas flow.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 06/06/14 at 21:54:14

The petcock has a screen, Run the bike that way till you drain the carb bowlk & see carp.. Then split the fuel line & slip a filter in line.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 16:04:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › help changing the petcock and related bits

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.