Send Topic Print
Smoking at start up (Read 133 times)
Trailwood
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Smoking at start up
06/05/14 at 12:05:20

This thread may live somewhere on the site, but I've been unable to find it.  I apologize if it is, but if not, I could really use some help.  

I bought a 2007 Suzuki S40 last summer that's been partially bobbed out.  It recently started smoking out of the exhaust when I start it up.  (This began just after an oil and spark plug change. I used Suzuki's recommended oil 10w-40)  When I start the bike, it smoked for about 2 minutes and then cleared up.  It's a bluish white smoke, smells like it's burning oil, and there's lots of it.  Someone told me to try a heavier oil to see if that helps.  I changed the oil yesterday and it actually seems to be smoking even more.  Now it smokes for a about 4-5 minutes before clearing up.  The bike seems to be running well, but I'm concerned about causing damage to the engine.

Two of the mechanics I talked to seemed to think the seals were bad/ going bad.  One recommended trying some ATF in with the oil, another recommended adding some "smoke treatment" to the oil.  Any thoughts or suggestions on this?   Both told me that if they have to tear into the engine it could be $1500!  I just bought the bike for $2,900 so I'd obviously like to avoid that...

Thanks in advance!  

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Smoking at start up
Reply #1 - 06/05/14 at 12:09:13

First, adding oil costs a lot less than "going in".. AND, it doesnt have the miles on it to believe it needs internal help. Id dump the oil & go with Rotella 15/40.. I wouldnt even change the filter.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 06/05/14 at 12:18:48

Mileage?
what muffler do you have?
Is it consuming a lot of oil?

WWW   IP Logged
Trailwood
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/05/14 at 12:38:13

Sorry..

Mileage is about 10k.  The guy I bought it from had put a long straight shot (?) muffler on it.  

I also noticed that after the oil change, the levels looked high.  Is it possible that I'm getting fuel into it?  I was reading another thread and it sounded like this could happen if my petcock is bad?

Thanks!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 06/05/14 at 12:53:48

The best answer is
Change the petcock. Eliminate a problem that can create a myriad of symptoms,, And, its just a given its Gonna crap out if it hasnt.

How are you checking oil level?
IF theres more tomorrow than there is today and you checked it after it had drained down, then yea,, good chance theres gas in it,,
OIl doesnt lite very easy, but gasoline does.. You put some drained out oil in a more tubular than bowl shaped container, you force whatever gas is in it into a smaller surface area. Id expect gas to float on oil if it doesnt just mix in,, Ive never tried adding gas to a bowl of oil to see if it just blends in or if it will create 2 layers,I also dont know if it will seperate if its been stirred. One things sure, if it wont make 2 layers it wont seperate.

Anyway, one of those lighters with a long end on it so YOU arent in danger OR if youre blessed with a good enough nose, you could smell gas in the oil.,.

A coupla quarts of oil is cheap, especially when you compare that to losing an engine. Gas cut oil doesnt lube near as well,,
If I found gas, Id swap the filter, too,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 06/05/14 at 13:21:53

If you're burning oil, there's only 2 places it'll coming from... rings or valve stem seals.

If it's the rings, you'll see a lot of carbon build up on top of the piston.
Take out the plug and take a look, (jog will warn you to blow out any carp around the plug 1st) if you got an eyeball on a stick that'll fit, great.  Otherwise try and scrape a little with a screwdriver.  A little is normal.  A lot and the rings are shot.

Ring wear can be accelerated by excessively rich jetting or leaving the choke on.

WWW   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #6 - 06/05/14 at 14:47:21

when you fill the oil is the bike level to read the site glass not on the side stand?

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #7 - 06/05/14 at 16:21:49

Hm. I did some work on my first Savage and afterwards it smoked on start up for a couple weeks then it just quit. I have no clue why it started or quit. I'd do what the other guys said and just ride it for a couple weeks, watch your oil level, and see if it clears up.

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #8 - 06/05/14 at 16:36:40

thumperclone wrote on 06/05/14 at 14:47:21:
when you fill the oil is the bike level to read the site glass not on the side stand?

The bike has to be upright, not on the kickstand. It's a pain in the buttocks  . If you fill it to half in the sight glass on the kickstand you're WAY overfilled.

IP Logged
Trailwood
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 06/05/14 at 19:05:07

When I changed the oil, I put it about 1.7 Q because I didn't want to overfill it.  (manual said it should take 2Q).  I checked the oil after a short ride with it up vertical and it looked to be above the top line.  I also noticed tonight that there is a little bit of liquid spitting out of the exhaust.  I'll drain a little bit tonight, see if I can tell if there is gas in it, and then check the level again tomorrow.

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #10 - 06/05/14 at 19:47:44

Trailwood wrote on 06/05/14 at 19:05:07:
When I changed the oil, I put it about 1.7 Q because I didn't want to overfill it.  (manual said it should take 2Q).  I checked the oil after a short ride with it up vertical and it looked to be above the top line.  I also noticed tonight that there is a little bit of liquid spitting out of the exhaust.  I'll drain a little bit tonight, see if I can tell if there is gas in it, and then check the level again tomorrow.

WHen you changed the oil did you stand the bike upright to drain the old oil? If not you didn't get it all out.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #11 - 06/05/14 at 20:17:33

Ring wear can be accelerated by excessively rich jetting or leaving the choke on

How so?  Huh

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 06/05/14 at 20:32:51

raydawg wrote on 06/05/14 at 20:17:33:
Ring wear can be accelerated by excessively rich jetting or leaving the choke on

How so?  Huh

the gas washes the oil off the cylinder and it gets scored up.

WWW   IP Logged
Trailwood
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 06/06/14 at 12:16:03

oh man... Didn't think about the bike being vertical to get the last bit of oil out.  I did drain some out last night and it's now sitting toward the middle of the range.  I'm definitely not an expert, but when I drained the oil out it seemed to smell a bit like gas.  If there is gas getting into the oil, do you think that changing the petcock would be the best place to start?  I've also read that it could be a problem with the float sticking in the carburetor.

thanks again!

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #14 - 06/06/14 at 12:54:55

Faulty float could cause gas in oil, but how would a faulty petcock do that? The gas has to go through carb first. Blue smoke, like he said, valve stems seem more plausible.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 14:27:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Smoking at start up

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.