Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question/s on maintenance. (Read 95 times)
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Question/s on maintenance.
06/04/14 at 18:04:00

Question/s on maintenance.   A 2006 S-40, 5,500 miles.
A PO, (About a year) Young girl, drive city, nicely, for about a year, and about 1-1200 miles.
She changed oil twice, (when she got it, and last fall).,
and her husband put in front pads this spring.
I bought it this spring, (3 + weeks ago)
It starts right up, ran it no load, heated it up, changed oil.
Then ran it about 50 miles, changed oil & filter.
Changed petcock, added Fuel filter, added air to what I believe are original tires,
(Needed it), and a few cosmetic changes.
Checked battery, not ’new’, but a sealed one, (no date) but it checked out fine.

Know I am going to change out tires.
Know I am going to check valves.
Chasing the, “Stop, Loud Backfire”.

Do you think, Do I need to check the cam chain,
or the C.C. Tightener yet?
(No Noises to indicate it)

Don’t know, but just guessing the PO, to the PO, did not do much,
but add/change oil, (now and then)

Thanks for your thoughts.

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Re: Question/s on maintenance.
Reply #1 - 06/04/14 at 18:23:51

It sounds to me like you are good to go. I'm changing the tires on my 2008, it only had 1,800 miles on it when I got it, but original tires and they are showing check cracking in the sidewalls. We get 115 here in the summer, hard on tires! 5,500... unless it was abused the tensioner is probably OK, you'll hear the ticky chain rattle if its not.  My first one had 9K-ish and the tensioner was about to fall out, but I've heard of some folks here who said they had well over 10K and were still good. I guess it depends on how you ride and maintain.

IP Logged
danjray

Connecticut
Reply #2 - 06/04/14 at 19:15:49

I'm currently at 11K with the original tensioner (however I haven't checked it yet so I am garaging it until I get the time to take it apart and verify how it's doing), so it's definitely possible that its good to go. On your next oil change be sure to measure it's travel!

2012 LS650 Boulevard S40
~11k Miles and counting fast
Mech Engr Student and backyard tinkerer
  IP Logged
YoungSavage

everyone knows I'm
home by the KA-POW!

Monterey, California
Reply #3 - 06/05/14 at 00:40:10

Just pulled the tensioner from my 88. It only has 12000 miles but it was out about 17mm. 18 is what I've been told us the cut off for pulling it so decided to for good cause. Verslagen said he's got a wait list on tensioners so I'm going to see if a local machine shop can do it for me in the mean time.

1988 Stock, mixture screw out 2 turns, seat lift mod, elevation= sea level, main jet=155 pilot jet=55
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 06/05/14 at 04:57:57

The unknown battery is a gamble.  The sealed batteries don't give much of any warning when they go.  I just bought a used 2000 Honda ST1100 and the battery worked fine for the previous owner and me.  One day I rode to the hardware  store and got what I needed, started the bike up and rode 3 miles down the road to fill the bike up with gas, and when I turned on the key......nuttin".....not even a click.  I got a jump and rode the bike half an hour to charge the battery, and when I turned the bike off  it would barely even light the neutral light.  The battery went from operational to junk in a short 3 minute ride between the hardware store and gas station.  It turned out the battery was the original 13 year old Yuasa battery with a Honda logo on it - but it gave no warning.

If you are just riding around your neighborhood and have a phone number to call if you need rescued.....you can keep using the battery until it dies.  If you are going to take a long trip somewhere or ride weird hours or in weird neighborhoods......it might make sense to get a new battery.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #5 - 06/05/14 at 06:52:03

it is not the original battery, but I would find out how old it is, maybe the manufacturer can tell by a number on it.
if it's more than 3yrs old toss it, these horses don't take kindly to push starting

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #6 - 06/05/14 at 06:55:12

my cam chain went 18k miles before needing the versy-fix..
could have gone 20k

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 06/05/14 at 09:52:15

My chain was done at 15,000. Others have seen fewer miles, NOt opening it up & having a look at about 12 is playing with fire,,Look, measure, extrapolate & then about when youve calculated its about time,  Get the stuff lined up, get a gasket, get the tensioner, you know youre gonna be needing it,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 04:40:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Question/s on maintenance.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.