Send Topic Print
Rain gear (Read 197 times)
Afan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Des Moines, IA
Rain gear
06/04/14 at 14:08:16

I trying to find good rain gear. There is tons of them so I need your help. What do you have? What's your experience? Where to buy? (Online assuming) What should I know and look for?

Thanks for any pointing.

IP Logged
iamgodzi1la
YaBB Newbies

Re: Rain gear
Reply #1 - 06/04/14 at 16:57:20

I have a Fieldsheer 2-piece rain suit.  The tags don't indicate a model name and I can't find one like it online, but it's not much good for anything but heavy rain.  It doesn't breathe, so the inside can end up just as wet as the outside if it's warm or I exert myself, and I'm sure if I get that baggy rubberized leg anywhere near my muffler it'll melt to whatever I have on under it.  It was given to me by a friend because the zipper was busted, but I wouldn't have paid too much money for it otherwise.  Unless you get rained on every day, I'd just go with whatever's cheap and waterproof.

2001 Savage LS 650, capped Supertrapp exhaust, Raptor petcock, Spitfire windshield, raised seat, 3" socket riser, oversize handlebar, sealed battery, wip
  IP Logged
Sheriff41

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

O'ahu, HI
Reply #2 - 06/04/14 at 20:55:49

I get caught in the rain often here in Hawaii.  I carry a Frogg Toggs rain suit (pants and jacket) and they do a good job.  The nice thing about them is they aren't like wearing a plastic bag!  You can find them at most motorcycle clothing shops online.  I think I bought my wife's at motorcyclegear.com for a good price.  I suggest you price around, though.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #3 - 06/05/14 at 06:11:58

Wife and I bought a cheap "outdoor" set at the local wally world, on our first trip they shredded like paper in a tornado.
So we stopped at a Harley dealer (was open and we didn't want to melt), of course it costs an arm and a leg, but the rainsuits are reflective and very well put together.
Fold/roll them up in the travel bag...top, bottom and boots fit into the bag and it is about five inches around and ten or eleven inches long.
The top actually has a hood that cinches up around your chin and thin enough to put under your helmet so that when the rain drips it doesn't run down your back....of course if you only have a half helmet your gonna get soaked anyway, so go on your long rides with two, full and half or three quarters if you want to stay completely dry.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #4 - 06/05/14 at 06:17:44

Sheriff41 wrote on 06/04/14 at 20:55:49:
I get caught in the rain often here in Hawaii.  I carry a Frogg Toggs rain suit (pants and jacket) and they do a good job.  The nice thing about them is they aren't like wearing a plastic bag!  You can find them at most motorcycle clothing shops online.  I think I bought my wife's at motorcyclegear.com for a good price.  I suggest you price around, though.

this^^ don't buy the thin PVC baggy stuff available local, flaps so bad you'll pull over and rip it off  Grin

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
Afan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Des Moines, IA
Reply #5 - 06/05/14 at 06:58:17

shorty wrote on 06/05/14 at 06:17:44:
this^^ don't buy the thin PVC baggy stuff available local, flaps so bad you'll pull over and rip it off  Grin

Grin

IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #6 - 06/05/14 at 07:16:32

Olympia. Expensive but great gear. The jacket has a built in hood in the collar which eliminates water working down the front of the jacket at the neck. Don't forget gloves and boot covers.

Whatever you end up with, make sure you can get the pants over your boots while hopping around on one leg at the side of the road. I am able to get the Olympia pants over my size 13 boots which is why I bought them.

Good hunting and keep us posted

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 06/05/14 at 07:29:29

Blinky-FSO wrote on 06/05/14 at 07:16:32:
Whatever you end up with, make sure you can get the pants over your boots while hopping around on one leg at the side of the road.

Whatever brand I have was a real pain to get over my boots.  I am embarrassed to admit......just last week I found a very well concealed zipper in each pant leg that makes it really easy! Shocked

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Afan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Des Moines, IA
Reply #8 - 06/05/14 at 07:31:24

Suit vs 2-piece rain gear?

IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #9 - 06/05/14 at 07:56:09

I have a 2 piece inexpensive one from Walmart. The pants go over my boots easily. It keeps me dry from the rain. My boots still get soaked but that is a separate issue. It does get warm in there though. But I have always arrived drier than if I didn't have it. Smiley

edit: I forgot to add that there are very few options in my larger than life size. I don't care if it says 3XL, it isn't. The one at Walmart was the only one that actually fit.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Thurston
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 06/05/14 at 08:49:35

I recently purchased a one piece rain suit made by Rev'It.  I purchased it in Ottawa Canada at a motorcycle store, but you can find them easily online.  The best features are: it's quite breathable; completely waterproof; easy to slip on over all the gear; and highly visible (bright yellow with lots of reflective strips).  I believe I paid $149.00 Canadian which is probably in the neighbourhood of $135.00 U.S.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 06/05/14 at 09:22:19

Thurston wrote on 06/05/14 at 08:49:35:
I believe I paid $149.00 Canadian which is probably in the neighbourhood of $135.00 U.S.

Hey!  Can't we use that to our advantage somehow?

I will send you $ 135....and you can send me back $ 149.  Then I will send you back the $ 149.....and you can send me back $ 164!  We can keep doing this until we get enough to retire.  Sure there will be a bit of postage involved....but it is still a money making deal and I can split the profits with you when we make money, then I can retire too!

Your future Business Partner......Dave

« Last Edit: 06/06/14 at 12:07:30 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 06/05/14 at 09:43:48

Check out www.froggtoggs.com. They make a wide variety of rain suits, including for M/C. I use a lightweight DriDucks suit for hiking and it works great, better than the expensive propietary trade-name stuff, but it is way too flimsy for riding. The prices are competitive, and the shipping is free. Not sure about the "Cool Looking" factor tho. Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Thurston
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 06/05/14 at 16:02:04

Dave wrote on 06/05/14 at 09:22:19:
Thurston wrote on 06/05/14 at 08:49:35:
I believe I paid $149.00 Canadian which is probably in the neighbourhood of $135.00 U.S.

Hey!  Can't we use that to our advantage somehow?

I will send you $ 135....and you can send me back $ 149.  Then I will send you back the $ 149.....and you can send me back $ 164!  We can keep doing this until we get enough to retire.  Sure there will be a bit of postage involved....but it is still a money making deal and I can split the profits with you when we make money,  then I can retire too!

Your future Business Partner......Dave

Dave, I love your idea! We'll get rich quick, retire early, and ride bikes to the end of our natural days. My God, why did no one think of this before?

« Last Edit: 06/06/14 at 12:07:49 by Dave »  
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #14 - 06/06/14 at 19:01:18

I have to ride in the rain here on the Pacific Northwest, as rain is our sunshine  Cool
I have found Firstgear splash pants and matching jacket to be the best for me. It is very light, lined, and very well made. It will set you back about 130 to 150 too.

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 22:25:30

General CategoryThe Cafe › Rain gear

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.