Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Go Pro?
06/04/14 at 05:13:33

I am tempted to get a GoPro....but I am most likely to go used.  It appears a lot of these cameras are purchased for projects that require mulitple cameras - then sold after the project is over.  Also a lot of folks buy them....and after a while the novelty wears off, and I am likely to fit into that group.

I am tempted to go with the Black Edition that has the remote.  I am also most likely to do a purchase on eBay and use PayPal - so that the Buyer Protection will be in place.

Anyone know anything about these cameras that can provide helpful insight?

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Go Pro?
Reply #1 - 06/04/14 at 06:47:40

Anyone know anything about these cameras that can provide helpful insight?

Nope,, BUT,, I am usually good for at LEAST a wiseass comment..

I agree w/ the whole Save $$ Buy Used thing,, If I ever get a hot tub, Ill try it that way.. I know Id get tired of it quickly.Well,, maybe not,, depends on who else is in it,, okay, Ill get tired of it quickly, I KNOW,, ooh well,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 06/04/14 at 06:52:01

Ooooh!  The GoPro....and.....Hot Tub could be a good combination.

Once again.....depends on who is in it! Grin

IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #3 - 06/04/14 at 06:54:04

Dave,
I don't have the Black, but have the Hero. The down sides are that you can't frame the shot on the Hero, there is no preview screen. You need to learn by experience how to aim the thing in the mount. Also, the menu is not very intuitive. The mounts are expensive and don't forget a large SD card, I have a 32GB that will hold a fair number of hours of video.

Now the plus. I have used it mounted to both the top and side of my helmet. No noticeable drag and no vibrations. Great waterproof case. Really good video options with different aspect ratios, full video, still shots, rapid shots, etc. About a 2 1/2 hour battery life. Lots of strange looks from the pedestrians and occasional questions conversation at fuel stops.

Good hunting and keep us posted

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 06/04/14 at 08:05:33

Lots of options in the action cam market nowadays...
sj1000 is a good low buck choice... less than $100...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QppW_0_DuiE
Browse youtube a bit before you decide...

I have the original GoPro... quality is not up to modern standards... but, I can't justify buying a replacement... so, I just use my point and shoot still camera...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
gdrseeker

Addicted!!

Carson Valley NV
Reply #5 - 06/05/14 at 01:50:42

you can frame the shot on the hero if you buy that add on LCD screen.  I have one and I have used it for underwater scuba diving.  I like it alot, but the new ones are better.  I had to buy an aftermarket lense because back then the lense didn't allow for under water without distortion.  The new lense does.

1996 Savage, Jardine, K&N, 145 / 55 jets, 1 turn out at 5000 ft. elevation.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #6 - 06/05/14 at 05:58:21

Go-pro 2 and 3 have the capability to link with your cell phone (go to the site and download the android or iphone app) so you can see what angles are and what the pro see's. Get a mike, the dang thing gets noisy (which is why most of the videos shot by new users have music patched in)...also the remote is VERY handy if you mount it on the bar clutch side.  The best setups I have seen are the goofy looking ones...well you look goofy, not the video. On the top of the helmet, side of the helmet, or below your chin. And don't think the suction cup is going to hold the dang thing on....well all the time anyway. If you mount with the suction cup I would devise a glued on or clipped on safety cord so if the cup looses suction at least the pro won't go bouncing along the pavement.
And yes ebay has buyer protection... but that doesn't protect you from someone who snags up all those items cheaply (because they don't work or don't have all the parts), most of them have never used one and don't even know if they work.
But I have also been looking on ebay for one... I am going with one with all the accessories and extra battery packs if they have them....but... i'm not going to bid more than $150 bucks.... I have bid 3 times so far...but each set seems to pull in the price of a new one...so no luck for me so far.... LOL, so if you are bidding on what looks like a good set...bid $151.00 and you will beat me!

Read up on them..... Wikipedia or somesuch or just review the search engine replys....

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 06/07/14 at 11:24:33

Just FYI,... I just ordered an SJ1000...for around $75.00...
HD quality is near GoPro3,... audio is actually better,...
... and I don't like the menu system on GoPro's...
The GoPro's do have a wifi mode that allows you to view on whatever gadget you want... but, I prefer the more self contained built-in screen on the SJ1000...(one less thing to be damaged,stolen, or fall off, when riding)...
EDIT...PS, if you're thinking about getting an SJ1000,.. be sure to get the 140 degree lens... some have a 90"...

Some comparisons..

« Last Edit: 06/09/14 at 10:02:25 by Serowbot »  

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #8 - 06/07/14 at 22:49:29

Serowbot, please keep us posted on your successes or otherwise with the new camera.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 06/09/14 at 06:55:53

I don't plan on becoming a full time camera user and YouTube contributor - so $ 75 seems fine if it works well.

Keep us posted on the SJ1000 issue Serowbot.

I just spent money on helmet radios so the wife and I can talk to each other while riding....I will post a thread on that when they arrive and I have had a while to figure them out.  They can use Bluetooth to receive calls from your phone, GPS instructions, etc.

IP Logged
Coaxial

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reply #10 - 06/09/14 at 07:32:27

My 2 cents.

I am a professional videographer and I will just say, GoPro is the best action sports camera out there.

Video capability aside. The biggest draw for me is the fact that there is little digital wobble going on which makes your footage look like its in a jello world.

The official term of this phenomenon is Rolling shutter. This image here shows the effect: http://www.ptgrey.com/support/kb/data/1-1-5_1.jpg
What essentially happens is that the sensor or "film" captures data line by line, but by the time it gets to the bottom the targets action would have progressed faster.

On the quality end, well it does do 4k video at lower frame rates and also high frame rates (slow mo) for lower usable resolutions.

The bad end of the camera is its battery life. I purchased Wasabi branded batteries to swap in and out.

What I use it for as a motorcyclist is essentially for my safety. It is a dash cam for myself. I have it mounted at the top of my helmet. I see too many dingbats doing stupid things on the road, id rather have evidence if any unfortunate events transpire.

2007 Suzuki Boulevard S40 Black. K&N Air Filter, Jardine Rumbler Exhaust, Raptor Petcock.

145 Main Jet, 45 Pilot Jet, 1.5x
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 06/09/14 at 09:14:22

Rolling shutter is a problem with all action cams... because they all use cmos sensors... GoPro included...
The reason Gopro's don't show it as much as others is they use a very wide angle 170' lens...

It shows up most, from hard vibration... that's why helmet mount usually looks better than handlebar mount, etc...
The trick is to make a secure mount but have some rubber cushioning...

The bad thing about wide angle len's, particularly for motorcycles is they make curvy roads look fairly straight... and speeds look slow...
(I hate that.. you can be taking a fairly tight turn at good speed and it looks leisurely)...

You can't really win,.. unless you use a bulky ccd camera and an electronically gimbaled mount...
Some cams have "digital stabilization"... but that makes things look worse if you're moving fast... it's only good for walking and such...

Someday,..  Huh...

Here's an example of rolling shutter from a GoPro camera

EDIT...PS, if you're thinking about getting an SJ1000,.. be sure to get the 140 degree lens... some have a 90"...

IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #12 - 06/10/14 at 16:13:19

I want to put a small camera on my R/C helicopter, what is the weight of that SJ1000? thanks..
$75 is lookin' good to me

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 06/10/14 at 17:31:05

3.56oz... they are relatively heavy because they have a pretty big 1050mAh battery... (lots of lighter options out there)...
http://www.dx.com/p/sj1000-5mp-cmos-1080p-hd-140-degree-30m-waterproof-sports...

Bad news fer' me.. I ordered from FoxOffer,.. before finding out they switched to a 90' lens...
Pffft!... (No worries... I can buy a wide lens for $8 and install it myself)...

Anyway... I think the one's with the 5 button case are 140mm...
3 button case 90'...

IP Logged
Tim Mazac
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Roswell Idaho
Reply #14 - 06/17/14 at 11:39:34

Kids got me a gopro.  The battery life is crap.  Every time I go to use it the bat's low. Strapped it on a cattoon for a four day wilderness raft tip. Drift boat wrecked and we rescued a man face down in the cold water, boat left for river pirates.  Hit the go button to catch some of the action and it's dead.  If It set on my desk "off" for a week it looses 1/3 of it's bat life.

My first shoot-- dirt Savage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo6A7xcCVHY

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 22:18:10

General CategoryThe Cafe › Go Pro?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.