Send Topic Print
slipping clutch (Read 129 times)
Tiktok423

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

slipping clutch
06/03/14 at 19:03:16

Hey guys,.

last night my clutch started slipping and is progressively getting worse. I noticed it as I accelerated in 3rd to overtake a car going to work. then on the way home the slipping got worse in 3rd gear. today as I rode to work it now slips in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear so I cant accelerate hard anymore. I have been doing a wee research on here and it seems as tho its hard to burn out the savage wet clutch and the most common problem i have seen is oil. My question is. I have been using this oil for over 6000kms and never had this problem. so is it still possible that it is the oil? Cheers.

06 Suzuki S40
First Time Rider
First Bike Owned
Northland
New Zealand
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: slipping clutch
Reply #1 - 06/03/14 at 19:11:07

WWW   IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Reply #2 - 06/03/14 at 19:14:15

The clutch lever on the handlebar should have a little freeplay. That can be adjusted at the perch.

Make sure it's not the cable that's sticking. Also, check to make sure the lever on the clutch cover is clean and free of obstructions (twigs, dirt, bird feathers).

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
Tiktok423

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/03/14 at 19:24:18

oh and another thing i forgot to mention is when I rode it home lastnight I noticed the clutch lever would slowly move back to its original position after I squeezed it to change gears. so by the end of the ride I was forcing it back out after changing gears.  I ride my bike 140km almost everyday and this is a new problem. I woke up early this morning and attempted to adjust the lever so it wouldnt retract so slow. which I did successfully but I foolishly didnt really know what I was doing.

06 Suzuki S40
First Time Rider
First Bike Owned
Northland
New Zealand
  IP Logged
Tiktok423

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/03/14 at 19:28:04

1st2know wrote on 06/03/14 at 19:14:15:
The clutch lever on the handlebar should have a little freeplay. That can be adjusted at the perch.

Make sure it's not the cable that's sticking. Also, check to make sure the lever on the clutch cover is clean and free of obstructions (twigs, dirt, bird feathers).

Yes the cable was sticking. I attempted to fix the sticking this morning but without any real knowledge of what or why I was doing it. I have time off tomorrow so I will have a better look at it. I just adjusted it to take out the sticking but now it seems as tho the slipping is worse.

06 Suzuki S40
First Time Rider
First Bike Owned
Northland
New Zealand
  IP Logged
doh13

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NS CANADA
Reply #5 - 06/03/14 at 21:06:52

If the clutch cable is coming back slowly that's likely why ur clutch is slipping you may be able to free it up by putting some motor oil and or penetrating oil on the cable and try to work it through  and down where the clutch cable is connected to the engine. keep adding some lube to the cable and keep pulling the lever in/out till it frees up. There are cable lubing thingies you can get as well http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/motorcycle/Cable%20Lubricator If its still stiff after trying that then  i would replace the clutch cable. BTW what type of Oil are you using you should use  the recommended oils here  ...http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1344471565

IP Logged
Tiktok423

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 06/03/14 at 23:09:32

doh13 wrote on 06/03/14 at 21:06:52:
If the clutch cable is coming back slowly that's likely why ur clutch is slipping you may be able to free it up by putting some motor oil and or penetrating oil on the cable and try to work it through  and down where the clutch cable is connected to the engine. keep adding some lube to the cable and keep pulling the lever in/out till it frees up. There are cable lubing thingies you can get as well http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/motorcycle/Cable%20Lubricator If its still stiff after trying that then  i would replace the clutch cable. BTW what type of Oil are you using you should use  the recommended oils here  ...http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1344471565

Thanks I'll have a looksy tomorrow. Ive been using Castrol Active 4T. I remember researching oils before i did an oil and filter change. Struggled to find the recommended ones from that link, well here in New Zealand I struggled. Oils been in there a while now and havent had any problems for a few thousand Kms at the very least. Im hoping its something simple like the cable.

06 Suzuki S40
First Time Rider
First Bike Owned
Northland
New Zealand
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #7 - 06/03/14 at 23:35:59

Tiktok423 wrote on 06/03/14 at 23:09:32:
Thanks I'll have a looksy tomorrow. Ive been using Castrol Active 4T.

If that is the same garbage marketed as Castrol Actevo in the USA, get it out of there right now. I've been in and out of the bike business for a long time, and the oil reps that would come to the shops said DO NOT use it in aircooled machines, period.  Liquid cooled, wet clutch, self adjusting or shimmed valves, no problem...

And of course, using it in liquid cooled, shimmed valve wet clutch equipped machines gives you the same slipping/grabbing clutch, noisy top end, missed shifts, accelerated engine wear as using it in aircooled machines. We've had great success with it, have blown up a couple dozen bikes because the customers insisted on using Actevo, Spectro, etc.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #8 - 06/03/14 at 23:53:31

Tictok, try PMing Paul Marshall in Carterton or Savage Bob in Christchurch to see what oil they use, I believe Paul Marshall used a Penrite  oil with success and that is avaidable at Super cheap or Repco. Are you still in Wellsford area?

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Tiktok423

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 06/04/14 at 13:59:49

If that is the same garbage marketed as Castrol Actevo in the USA, get it out of there right now. I've been in and out of the bike business for a long time, and the oil reps that would come to the shops said DO NOT use it in aircooled machines, period.  Liquid cooled, wet clutch, self adjusting or shimmed valves, no problem...

And of course, using it in liquid cooled, shimmed valve wet clutch equipped machines gives you the same slipping/grabbing clutch, noisy top end, missed shifts, accelerated engine wear as using it in aircooled machines. We've had great success with it, have blown up a couple dozen bikes because the customers insisted on using Actevo, Spectro, etc. [/quote]

If it is the same garbage. Would it take this long for it to start slipping? Its honestly been way to long since my last oil change, and I find it strange that it just started happening now. More than 5000kms later on the same oil and it starts slipping now? Or is that normal? Thanks tho I will look at getting a better oil for her when I do my next oil change. Which could be ASAP anyways. Thank you

06 Suzuki S40
First Time Rider
First Bike Owned
Northland
New Zealand
  IP Logged
Tiktok423

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 06/04/14 at 14:02:16

jcstokes wrote on 06/03/14 at 23:53:31:
Tictok, try PMing Paul Marshall in Carterton or Savage Bob in Christchurch to see what oil they use, I believe Paul Marshall used a Penrite  oil with success and that is avaidable at Super cheap or Repco. Are you still in Wellsford area?

Yup still in wellsford. And thank you I will look out for penrite as there is a super cheap in the next town. Thanks.

06 Suzuki S40
First Time Rider
First Bike Owned
Northland
New Zealand
  IP Logged
Tiktok423

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 06/05/14 at 23:04:56

All sorted now thanks guys.

ended up just being the cable at the lever. I adjusted to the recommended according to the clymer and boom. no more slipping. thanks

06 Suzuki S40
First Time Rider
First Bike Owned
Northland
New Zealand
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 22:45:27