Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What do you guys think of this? (Read 88 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
What do you guys think of this?
06/03/14 at 16:41:30

I'll leave it to you guys who know about the subject than I (nuttin).
I do know however I am all for getting rid of the corn. I know of folk to that have lost their 4 stroke outboards do to the fuel....ain't a 150 plus HP 4 strike ain't cheap  Shocked

http://www.ewg.org/research/ethanols-broken-promise

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Re: What do you guys think of this?
Reply #1 - 06/03/14 at 16:48:15

wifey has flex fuel ford focus
she wont use high E gas anymore cause it drops the mpg enough to offset any price savings

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
PuffsPlus

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 06/03/14 at 17:19:40

Yeah the gf has a flex fuel jeep commander.  It's hard enough to find a station that supplies flex fuel...  No to mention any savings in $ is counter balanced by the loss of milage.  
The main problem with using ethanol is the moisture that it creates.  It's horrible and causes corrosion inside your engine  
I am not sure what can be done to protect our engines.  There might be some additive that you can use.  
I'll leave that part of the conversation to someone that may know more than myself....  Plus I'm using my phone so kind of a pain in the butt to make lengthy post.

Boldly going forward cause I can't find reverse!
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #3 - 06/03/14 at 23:43:18

A little research will disclose the "alcohol-burning fad" started in Brazil in the very early 1970's, with cars such as the Ford Falcon (local model) and the VW Beetle (air cooled) running on pure ethanol.

What is not told is that while gasoline requires a 14:1 air/fuel ratio, alcohol (ethanol) requires 6:1... you didn't have a "carburetor", you had a "hose & funnel" !!!  
Grin
Roll Eyes
Embarrassed

Hence, cheap as it may be, the more alcohol you dilute in gasoline, the poorer your overall performance will be.

The future is NOT alcohol, it's diesel/electric hybrids.

Why diesel and not gasoline ?
Because when you distill/refine crude oil, you get tar&pitch + diesel/kerosene + volatile gases (the ones the bottle and call LPG but once burned off tall smokestacks)

You then need to refine 2 parts of kerosene/diesel to obtain one part of gasline + tars + more LPG...
Huh
Roll Eyes
Shocked
So why on earth waste 2 gals of perfectly good diesel that will push your car 60 miles, to create 1 gal gasoline that will push your car a mere 40 ?

60mpg x 2 gals = 120 miles...
40 mpg x 1 gal =   40 miles...
Huh
Something's wrong here...

Sooo... diesel/electric hybrids...  Cool

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/04/14 at 06:10:53

A lot of people who run high pressure turbo cars run E85 because you can burn a bit leaner without knocking.

As for the environment, I say FTNG.

--Steve

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #5 - 06/04/14 at 06:34:36

The corn-ethanol BS in the US has always been about politics not science. Just like most of the so-called solutions to our non-existent "energy/environmental crisis."

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 06/04/14 at 06:54:17

& By the time you water the crop & spend the energy to harvest & make it alcohol, you really think the enviro impact is less than making GASOLINE? & what of the Food Prices,, Did we not learn about the supply/demand thing? What happens to supply of food when the available land to grow it & the people interested in farming it are decreased? Do people think the acres & acres of corn for fuel & the people who plant & tend them came outta the sky? Those are FORMER Food Crop acres,, & those are Former food crop Growers,,

I can scream YOUre being scammed all day, but no one listens,, Well,, not so,, there have been a few,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #7 - 06/04/14 at 10:34:05

mpescatori wrote on 06/03/14 at 23:43:18:
A little research will disclose the "alcohol-burning fad" started in Brazil in the very early 1970's, with cars such as the Ford Falcon (local model) and the VW Beetle (air cooled) running on pure ethanol.

What is not told is that while gasoline requires a 14:1 air/fuel ratio, alcohol (ethanol) requires 6:1... you didn't have a "carburetor", you had a "hose & funnel" !!!  
Grin
Roll Eyes
Embarrassed

Hence, cheap as it may be, the more alcohol you dilute in gasoline, the poorer your overall performance will be.

The future is NOT alcohol, it's diesel/electric hybrids.

Why diesel and not gasoline ?
Because when you distill/refine crude oil, you get tar&pitch + diesel/kerosene + volatile gases (the ones the bottle and call LPG but once burned off tall smokestacks)

You then need to refine 2 parts of kerosene/diesel to obtain one part of gasline + tars + more LPG...
Huh
Roll Eyes
Shocked
So why on earth waste 2 gals of perfectly good diesel that will push your car 60 miles, to create 1 gal gasoline that will push your car a mere 40 ?

60mpg x 2 gals = 120 miles...
40 mpg x 1 gal =   40 miles...
Huh
Something's wrong here...

Sooo... diesel/electric hybrids...  Cool

Well lets go one better... or to continue the line on the other side:

Brazil uses SUGAR cane... not corn
Squeeze the cane, boil off the water you get SUGAR..
Ferment the sugar you get Ethanol

US uses CORN
Render the corn to get.... STARCH
Render the starch to sugar
Ferment the sugar you get Ethanol

OR
watch Moonshiners and see how they make alcohol... they ADD SUGAR.. and lots of it!!!!

Its not a one to one with Sugar cane versus corn. Corn is much less convertible. But there is a powerful corn lobby!  

Actually I would be all for Ethanol.. but not the way it was done. mandating it, subsidixing only corn.. and then taxing it at the full value of gasoline. ITs a HUGE rip off!!!

Think about it.. if my car gets 40MPG on GAS and taxes on a ten gallon tank are $3.80 then taxes are on 400 miles
But at 30mpg on ethanol and a ten gallon tank my taxes are the same $3.80 on only 300 miles!

PS: G. H. Bush passed the "read my lips" tax on gas. Our pumps read "Gas includes $.38 per gallon federal tax". This does not include local and state taxes.  

IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #8 - 06/04/14 at 12:31:59

gas prices have KILLED all my neighbors and friends, nobody talks about it anymore but fuel prices are one of the BIG factors in our crappy economy.. everything we need arrives by motorized transport..

the pipeline from canada to our refineries would have helped the USA AND CANADA.. Hussein obama and his liberal morons don't realize the pipe has LESS risk of spillage than road or rail

every darn decision made in D.C. is carried out for votes, not the nation's well being  :'(

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #9 - 06/04/14 at 16:09:00

Ok..... I gotta number for you. If Alaskan Airlines can figger out, or more to point, if Boeing can build a better 737 (which they are with the MAX, projecting a 15% fuel saving over the current models)

If Alaskan can save 1% fuel cost per seat now, it would save them, get this, 30 to 50 million per year!

Fuel currently is about 50% of the operating cost of the airline.

I work building the 787, and some customers are already reporting 30% fuel savings over rival aircraft!
And this is only with the -8. We have already built a few -9's that will seat about 30 more people, so the cost per seat is improved that much more.
The -10 won't be out for a few more years, but it will seat up to 80 more people.....

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 06/05/14 at 06:08:11

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 06/05/14 at 09:33:56

Paraguat,, thats a real eye opener..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 06/05/14 at 10:47:29

Paraquat wrote on 06/05/14 at 06:08:11:

My bull$h!t alarm is ringing.....
If someone had a viable 300 mpg car, they'd make a fortune off of it and it would be on the showroom floor.

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 06/05/14 at 11:11:10

There is more than one copy of this article.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/conspiracy/xl1.asp
Snopes argues against it. Citing it's a limited production run.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/concept-cars/vw-reveals-new-300mpg-coupe
This article just talks about the car.

http://jalopnik.com/the-mpg-conspiracy-theory-is-crap-and-heres-why-1562574926
Jalopnik dissects the conspiracies.

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/v/Volkswagen-XL1.htm#.U5CyXyjwouI
These guys jump in and say it's a hoax.

--Steve

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 06/05/14 at 12:11:07

What about the VW thats built here but only for export? THAT alone is enough to demonstrate manipulation of policy to benefit the oil sellers.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 02:12:21

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › What do you guys think of this?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.