Send Topic Print
Idling on side stand? (Read 78 times)
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Idling on side stand?
06/02/14 at 12:07:58

Is it OK to let an S40 idle on it's side stand for a bit?
The OM says not to but I'm thinking ahead to cold weather commuting where I need to let it warm up for a while.
Also, just for general knowledge.

Just wondering what experts here say/do compared to the OM.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Idling on side stand?
Reply #1 - 06/02/14 at 12:24:25

OMG you read the manual?   Shocked

I'll have to re-read it now, don't recall seeing that.

and I don't know why it would, oil pickup would be on the high side, but still submerse if you got enough oil.

WWW   IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #2 - 06/02/14 at 12:27:59

I'm a believer in not letting vehicles sit idling to "warm up". I allow about 15-20 seconds to get oil circulating, then go. Low, easy revs for the first couple of miles, then normal operation.

Of course, this depends on how cold-blooded your vehicle is. My Savage was jetted a little rich.  It would start easily and run well when cold without a bunch of stumbling and gasping. I usually didn't even use the enricher until temps got down in the 40's.

To answer your specific question, I don't think there would be much of an issue to let it sit running on the stand for a few minutes. There should be enough oil in the sump to allow the pump to pick it up. The carb is pretty much in line with the center of the bike, so there shouldn't be much change in fuel delivery.

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #3 - 06/02/14 at 13:05:18

bobert_FSO wrote on 06/02/14 at 12:27:59:
I'm a believer in not letting vehicles sit idling to "warm up". I allow about 15-20 seconds to get oil circulating, then go. Low, easy revs for the first couple of miles, then normal operation.

I'm with bobert. I had VW's for ages and just started up, warm up for about 30 seconds to get the oil circulating then just take it easy for the first couple miles.  On my Savage I pretty much did the same in the winter. I had to use the choke a couple times when it was below 40, but by the time I got out of the neighborhood and into traffic I was pretty good to go.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 06/02/14 at 13:13:04

I don't idle my bike.  It starts and runs fine - but when cold the idle is a bit low and as a result the oil pressure is probably low as well.

I push my enrichment lever down, hit the starter and the bike fires right up.  I then pull the enrichment lever off and hold the bike at a fast idle for about a half a minute, let it idle down, pull in the clutch and click it into first.....and ride off.

In cold weather you might need to leave the enrichment lever out a notch or two for a bit.....then push the lever in and go.  Most experts never recommend not letting an engine idle to warm up.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 06/02/14 at 13:34:27

Once its running it ready to ride,, I wouldnt go play drag racer king games,, but theres no reason to let anything just sit & run. Get it running, then get the last of the gear on & go.. Last of the gear = gloves & helmet, but if its that cold, I mite have them in the house & ON before I even got to the bike,,Id fire that dude up & get its throat cleared ( able to respond to quick throttle action w/o gagging) & ride away.. Id ride like I was in a hospital zone for a coupla miles..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #6 - 06/02/14 at 14:27:11

My next nOob question:

Enrichment lever = choke, right?

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 06/02/14 at 14:50:58

Same purpose,.. different function...
So,.. yea,.. it's a choke...

A bike, or car, will warm up faster if you just ride it to warm it up...
Just don't try for any 1/4 mile records for the first few minutes...

My DP bike,.. would "walk" itself,.. if you idled on the kickstand...
It would go about a foot every 10 seconds...
Leave it alone for a few minutes... no tellin' where it would go... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #8 - 06/02/14 at 16:29:50

Well you all know I am a daily rider. Ride in the winter if its dry, even into the 20's. My bike gets cold quickly when off.
I bought the "Heat My Seat" motorcycle warmer......
The one Billy Mays use to advertise, not a cheap knock off.

I would just run an extension cord to it on cold nights, worked great, bike was all warm and ready.
I also got remote ad on. It lets you heat your bike for up to 12 hours while its parked in a lot (at work) off of its own battery system.

You can still buy them, but I think I would wait til verslagen1 comes out with his modded one made especially for the S40. (mine in a universal fit).

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 00:27:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Idling on side stand?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.