Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
tinny rattle noise at wot (Read 150 times)
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

tinny rattle noise at wot
06/01/14 at 13:38:10

Has any one ever heard a tinny sounding noise when you go from say 55 to WOT? NOT THAT I do this often..but today when two up I needed to and it's the first I had heard it...sounds like what 4 wheelers do when you horse on em.

« Last Edit: 06/03/14 at 05:58:13 by Jsud04 »  

1986 red, raptor petcock, cham chain tensioner mod,carb plug pulled. DIY highway pegs, DIY ammo can storage...
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Re: tinny Ricky noise at wot
Reply #1 - 06/01/14 at 13:57:45

Probably just needed a downshift to get the rpms up. They'll rattle like that if you lug the engine.

IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 06/01/14 at 14:27:08

Its spinning not lugging...I am going fast and then dump the throttle

1986 red, raptor petcock, cham chain tensioner mod,carb plug pulled. DIY highway pegs, DIY ammo can storage...
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 06/01/14 at 14:50:56

Your top or bottom motor mounts are possibly loose, the top's location is obvious, but be sure to tighten the 3 holes in the bracket mounts on both ends at the top (3 bolts).   Hold on one end while tightening the other end at each of the 3 places up under the gas tank.

The bottom two mounting points are more devious, the front is a LOOOONNNG bolt that goes through both of the peg mounts on either side.    Hold on one end while tightening the other end.  Bottom back mount is closer to the pivot point for the swing arm (while you are back there clean then tighten the - negative -  electrical ground point since you are in the neighborhood).

You can't go further looking for your sound without making sure the engine mounts are nice and firm.

After that, start laying your hand on the speedo when you go to "tinny ricky" noising and see if it stops.

After that, start laying your hand on the headlight when you go to "tinny ricky" noising and see if it stops.

Good luck, there are just so so many places that can make a noise that you have to actively remove the known "easy causes" before you get into your serious hunting.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #4 - 06/01/14 at 16:44:55

Check the back of the belt cover as well, mine broke at the back bolt and the cover would then flop around and rattle.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/01/14 at 17:37:33

I'll crawl around it tomorrow and check into that. But it seem inherent to the rpms under a ton of demand...ie from highway speeds to wot, it just sounds like slapping metal... Almost like pre ignition...but it runs fine other wise no noise until wot on demand...you can work up slowly to wot no issues...can the throttle be so wide open that it would go lean and pre ignites?

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #6 - 06/01/14 at 17:49:35

Jsud04 wrote on 06/01/14 at 17:37:33:
I'll crawl around it tomorrow and check into that. But it seem inherent to the rpms under a ton of demand...ie from highway speeds to wot, it just sounds like slapping metal... Almost like pre ignition...but it runs fine other wise no noise until wot on demand...you can work up slowly to wot no issues...can the throttle be so wide open that it would go lean and pre ignites?

If you are cruising along at 55 in high gear with two people on a savage and then suddenly crack the throttle wide open you are lugging the engine.  I think that's what's causing the rattle you hear. Grab your passenger, go for a ride and try downshifting before you whack the throttle open. See if it makes a difference.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 06/01/14 at 18:00:01

I had an Oxygen sensor on my bike when I jetted my carb.  And yes, when you first "crack" the throttle open the engine can go lean when you have a roundslide carb - but the CV carb is not supposed to do that.  On the roundslide carb when you crack the throttle open fast.....the velocity of the air in the venturi suddenly drops, and it does not pull from the jets as well as it did before you cracked the throttle.  In a second or two the velocity stabilizes and the mixture goes back to normal if the bike is jetted correctly.  When you crack the throttle open fast on a CV carb you are opening a butterfly, and the slide that is vacuum controlled is supposed to react by dropping and keeping the vacuum constant....and it will then raise and allow more air flow as the engine speed increases.

If you open the throttle fast and the rattling is heard.....but not heard if you roll on the throttle a bit slower but still are going to full throttle....then maybe it is a lean condition caused by opening the throttle too quickly.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #8 - 06/01/14 at 18:16:11

Yep, Dave is right.  I had a similar problem and started opening the throttle a bit slower to cure it.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 06/01/14 at 18:18:17

It might be pre-ignition.  Try a better grade of gas on your next fill up.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 06/01/14 at 18:37:09

Dave described what's happening to a t...I'll take that advice...I've never owned a carbed anything.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 06/02/14 at 03:22:48

Jsud04 wrote on 06/01/14 at 18:37:09:
Dave described what's happening to a t...I'll take that advice...I've never owned a carbed anything.

Woo Hoo!  My lucky day.

When I had the O2 sensor and meter on my bike to help with the jetting, I really learned a lot about how the mixture moves around with throttle settings.

You might try going up one main jet size and see it that helps.

Dave

IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 06/02/14 at 05:31:04

We'll it be an 86 so I believed its sitting at 155 already... Its a drive it nicer issue I think. I have the mix out 2.75 today but it was 50 degrees when warm 70+ i set it at 2.25 or 2.5.... Drilled exhaust 4 1/4 holes.

Correct me if I am wrong but there are two times you can drive a carber motor to ping...especially a single...lug it at low speed or dump the throttle at high speed...both starve it of fuel for different reasons...

The other times would be elevation and temp swings I.e. cold = lean...sound about right?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 06/02/14 at 05:57:13

What kind of air cleaner and muffler do you have?  Have you ever had the carb apart, changed jets, or done a white spacer mod?

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #14 - 06/02/14 at 06:12:13

Quote:
you can drive a carber motor to ping...especially a single...lug it at low speed ...

You can lug an engine at any speed. It's a matter of how fast the engine is turning,not how fast the bike is going. But Dave is correct. The result of lugging the engine, ie. opening the throttle quickly when the engine is not spinning fast enough to produce the power that you've suddenly demanded, is a lean fuel air mixture that causes the rattle, ping , or whatever term you use to describe the noise. Kick it down a gear - maybe even two - and then snap the throttle open, and I think the problem will go away.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 00:23:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › tinny rattle noise at wot

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.