Send Topic Print
liquid gasket (Read 181 times)
natesavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

liquid gasket
05/31/14 at 00:30:17

Hi all! New savage rider/ new rider in general. I got the raptor petcock to put on my 2001 savage with around 8000 miles. (Ordered of of newegg for 7 bucks) came in real fast but didnt have the o-ring gasket. I stuck the oem petcock oring on it and just used some liquid gasket to fill in the spaces that the o ring didnt. It sealed just fine with no leaks. And i also stuck a lawn mower fuel filter from tractor supply on it. I was just wondering about yalls opinion on this liquid gasket stuff. Good to use? Bad? Okay for some things?

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: liquid gasket
Reply #1 - 05/31/14 at 02:42:36

Pull the fuel filter out or your bike is going to starve for fuel. And send that Chinese knockoff back where it came from, odds are very good that it has an undersized fuel outlet.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #2 - 05/31/14 at 06:05:45

watch closely for leaks..
1. the cheap chinese petcock may leak after a spell
2. not all gasket material is fuel-proof, silicone is not

good luck,
gary

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #3 - 05/31/14 at 08:03:34

natesavage wrote on 05/31/14 at 00:30:17:
Hi all! New savage rider/ new rider in general. I got the raptor petcock to put on my 2001 savage with around 8000 miles. (Ordered of of newegg for 7 bucks) came in real fast but didnt have the o-ring gasket. I stuck the oem petcock oring on it ...

Sometimes a deal isn't a deal... What those other guys said.  Huh

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 05/31/14 at 09:30:44

When the Real McCoy costs just under 30 bucks, and can be had with no shipping, BTW,
You gotta know that a seven dollar answer is a fraud.
We have all been told
You get what you pay for
But thats a lie.. WE pay good money for bad products & services all the time,

However, what IS true is
You will pay for what you get.. & if you need a quality part,, youll pay a quality price, 7 bucks aint it,,BUt you sure arent the first to buy one,

& Yea,, unless you gut a Fat honkin filter, its likely to cause problems at higher throttle settings,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
natesavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/02/14 at 07:46:56

Just to clarify. The fuel filter isnt a paper filter its just a screen like the petcock screen.

Petcock:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2C51HS9324

Liquid gasket:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002JN5KG?pc_redir=1401038253&robot_redir=1

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 06/02/14 at 07:55:36

natesavage wrote on 06/02/14 at 07:46:56:
Just to clarify. The fuel filter isnt a paper filter its just a screen like the petcock screen.

Petcock:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2C51HS9324

Liquid gasket:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002JN5KG?pc_redir=1401038253&robot_redir=1

You are headed for trouble.

The petcock is 100% brand new....but not from Yamaha.
Silicone gasket sealer is not fuel proof.....it will leak very soon.  You don't want to be dripping fuel on the hot engine.  Not long ago I was curious about this and put a small hole in the side of a soda can, applied silocone gasket material and let it cure.  I put gasoline in the can, and within a few hours the gasoline was leaking from between the can and the silicone.

Just write of the $ 7.00 petcock as a cheap lesson, go buy the proper Yamaha petcock.....and get on with your life.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
natesavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 06/02/14 at 08:01:40

Thanks for the input Dave. Could you link me the real one that comes with the oring? And what about that same silicone liquid gasket on the oring for my oil filter? Thats what I originally got it for. The guy at the autoparts store said it was the best thing to seal against oil.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 06/02/14 at 08:04:00

Here is the data sheet for the Silicone product you used.  Notice the comment about not using it for contact with gasoline.

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION: Mega Black Silicone is a single component, moisture curing RTV (room temperature
vulcanicizing) silicone gasketing material that cures into a strong silicone rubber that maintains long term durability and
flexibility to make formed-in-place gaskets. Mega Black Silicone is a non-slumping, paste-like consistency which cures
when exposed to moisture in the air. Forms a tough, flexible silicone rubber gasket that resists aging, weathering; will not
harden, shrink or crack. Remains more flexible than conventional gaskets. Mega Black Silicone is non-corrosive to steel,
iron and aluminum.
WORKS BEST ON: Use to replace silicone, cork, felt and rubber gaskets. Use on valve covers, oil pans, intake
manifold end seals, water pumps, transmission pans, cam covers and thermostat housings.
(OEM Approved = Original Equipment Manufacturer Approved)
PRODUCT FEATURES:
Tensile Strength: 240psi
Non-Flammable, Non-Toxic
Low Volatile, Oxygen Sensor Safe
Low Odor
Color: Black
Waterproof
Set Time: 8 – 10 minutes
Full Bond: 12 – 24 hours (Cure times will vary with temperature, humidity and gap)
Temperature Range: Continuous: -65ºF to 400ºF
Intermittent: -65ºF to 650ºF
Chemical Solvent Resistance: automotive fluids and oils
Mega Black will handle synthetic oils; but NOT IF FRICTION MODIFIERS (ADDITIVES) ARE ADDED TO
THE OIL.
NOT RECOMMENDED for use on parts in constant contact with gasoline.
Storage: Store in a cool, dry environment.
SURFACE PREPARATION: PROVIDE ADEQUATE VENTILATION. Protect work area from accidental
spills. Clean all mating surfaces with a residue-free solvent to remove grease, oil, dirt or other contaminants.
REMOVAL METHODS: (test inconspicuous area of item to be sure chemicals do not harm surface)
Before cure: Scrape off excess with a knife or non-flammable cleaning fluid. If skinned over, break film with
a dry cloth and remove as much as possible. Remove any remaining material with a gasket remover.
After cure: Scrape or peel off, then solvent clean surface.
HELPFUL HINTS: Clean and dry surfaces thoroughly. Apply a thin even bead (1/8”) to one surface. Wait 10 minutes
until sealant skins before assembling. For temporary assemblies, apply a light coat of oil to uncoated surfaces, then
assemble. Clean excess with a knife. Replace cap after use. Sealant is fully cured in 12-24 hours.
This product is not recommended for use in pure oxygen or oxygen rich systems and should not be used as a
sealant for chlorine or other strong oxidizing materials.
For storage: after use, create a silicone plug by pushing excess material to extend beyond the extension nozzzle and
allow to cure (this will seal and protect unused product). To reuse, simply remove the cured “plug” from tip.
See MSDS for more complete information, safe handling instructions and first aid.
Non-Regulated
Part Number: 99839, 99849

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 06/02/14 at 08:11:56

natesavage wrote on 06/02/14 at 08:01:40:
Thanks for the input Dave. Could you link me the real one that comes with the oring? And what about that same silicone liquid gasket on the oring for my oil filter? Thats what I originally got it for. The guy at the autoparts store said it was the best thing to seal against oil.

You should not have to use any sealer on the rubber O-ring for your oil filter.  The O-ring should be replaced if it is faulty or not sealing well.

Here is a link for the proper petcock from Ron Ayers:
http://www.ronayers.com/Search.aspx?k=5LP-24500-01

You can also get it from Bike Bandit or any online parts seller, eBay or your local dealer.  The part number is Yamaha 5LP-24500-01.

You can even get the correct part from ebay.....provided you see the correct Yamaha Part Number and the Yamaha box.....and they say that it is a Factory Yamaha Petcock.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Gas-Tank-Petcock-Turn-Valve-thingy-OEM-Yamaha-Ra...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-PETCOCK-FUEL-thingy-VALVE-ASSEMBLY-YFM660-YFM-...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-YAMAHA-RAPTOR-660-FUEL-PETCOCK-FITS-SUZUKI-LTZ-40...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 06/02/14 at 13:49:41

I walked into the Yamaha dealership with my Zuki petcock, told them I needed a Raptor petcock, handed the guy mine,, walked out for under $30.00.. No hassles, no "Gee, I wonder if this will work,,", comes with an Oring, bolts right up, no fixing, no shimming, nothing,, poke it in & run the bolts down,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #11 - 06/02/14 at 15:15:10

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/02/14 at 13:49:41:
I walked into the Yamaha dealership with my Zuki petcock, told them I needed a Raptor petcock, handed the guy mine,, walked out for under $30.00.. No hassles, no "Gee, I wonder if this will work,,", comes with an Oring, bolts right up, no fixing, no shimming, nothing,, poke it in & run the bolts down,,

Yep, by the time you pay shipping from an online dealer you're only a couple bucks shy of 30.00 anyway. Sometimes it's really OK to go old school and just buy it from someone who has it with a door you can walk through....  Wink

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #12 - 06/02/14 at 17:59:24

Just out of curiosity, I checked with my local stealership the other day about one...$39.95 and they have to order it.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #13 - 06/02/14 at 18:30:05

Steve H wrote on 06/02/14 at 17:59:24:
Just out of curiosity, I checked with my local stealership the other day about one...$39.95 and they have to order it.

YOW!!! Well, free enterprise... that's what makes this country great....  Tongue

IP Logged
JRLeathercraft

I'm not a biker, I
just own one.

Reply #14 - 06/02/14 at 21:05:09

I have a cheap knock off with thge smaller outlket and it works fine.

Jay

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 12:48:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › liquid gasket

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.