Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Best first mods for newb (Read 194 times)
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Best first mods for newb
05/30/14 at 15:44:53

About to pick up my '08 tomorrow and just wondering what to do first.
I'll probably do the Raptor petcock and lift the seat for now.
Been reading the 'what the newb needs to know' stuff.

I would like to put on a pipe for just a little better exhaust note and would like to do so without rejetting so looking for recommendations in that regard.
I love the look of Serobot's single seat but, from what I've read, the rear fender needs work if you go that route.

Let me know what has worked well and what to avoid!
Thanks in advance.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Re: Best first mods for newb
Reply #1 - 05/30/14 at 16:02:57

That's a real good start.  I would put in shell rotella oil as well.  I'm sure you will enjoy it. Smiley

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #2 - 05/30/14 at 16:10:04

Depending on the mileage, I'd check out your cam chain tensioner. That's a critical path thing if you have over 7-8000 miles. My first one had about 9000 miles and the tensioner was almost out. Dyna muffler puts out a good "note" without being obnoxiously loud. My take from the forum is anytime you open your air flow to get a better sound you're looking at re-jetting. I see your in Colorado, so your elevation may play into your jetting anyway.

IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #3 - 05/30/14 at 16:14:36

If you want to do the single seat, just add a fender bib or throw over bags to hide the ugly.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #4 - 05/30/14 at 18:08:15

That soon on the tensioner, huh? Guess I'll be contacting Verslagen sooner than expected.  It actually has less than 3k on it so I'm ok for now.
Thanks again everyone. I'm here to learn.

What is the recommended rear tire size among the group? Without mods.

Also, what tire pressure? I'm gonna check that before riding it home.
darn, I'm stoked!

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
nickthe_human

Arkansas
Reply #5 - 05/30/14 at 18:38:20

If you're only at 3k, you are probably fine on the adjuster, but I would do an oil change when you get it and check the adjuster, just to be safe, and also you can get a measurement of how long you have before it falls apart.

I believe stock rear is 140/80 15. And I think some easily do 140/90. Also 130/90 will fit.

And I think tire pressure for rear should be 29 for solo and 33 for two up. I could be wrong. I can't remember what the sticker on the belt guard said. If the bike still has it, go by that. I usually keep about 30 in both front and back. A lot of people have varying pressures for different needs, but I would stay pretty close to the Suzuki recommended numbers.

Congrats on the bike!

Happy Riding!

2005 S40
WWW   IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #6 - 05/30/14 at 19:28:38

With the Raptor manual petcock, do you have to turn it 'off' every time you park the bike?

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #7 - 05/30/14 at 21:05:46

nickthe_human wrote on 05/30/14 at 18:38:20:
t.

I believe stock rear is 140/80 15. And I think some easily do 140/90. Also 130/90 will fit.

I did 140/90 but the side bar bolts under the fender rubbed. You'll need to have the shop change the bolts to round/flush heads.

IP Logged
jgrandmont
YaBB Newbies

Buzzards Bay, MA
Reply #8 - 05/31/14 at 04:58:47

Per the belt guard sticker, front tire pressure is 29 for both solo and 2-up. Rear is 33 for solo and 36 for 2-up.

'09 Suzuki Boulevard S40
  IP Logged
ihasabike

^^ihasapicofit!

Reply #9 - 05/31/14 at 05:04:44

Tocsik wrote on 05/30/14 at 18:08:15:
That soon on the tensioner, huh? Guess I'll be contacting Verslagen sooner than expected.  It actually has less than 3k on it so I'm ok for now.

I contacted Verslagen very recently and he said he is out of modded adjusters right now and to contact him again after I have at least 4000 miles on the bike, because that still leaves plenty of time.

K/N Filter; Tachometer; Raptor Petcock; Engine Guard; Highway Pegs; Windshield; GT Grips; Shot Filled Dragbars; Saddle Bags and Supports; 12V Outlet
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 05/31/14 at 12:18:32

jgrandmont wrote on 05/31/14 at 04:58:47:
Per the belt guard sticker, front tire pressure is 29 for both solo and 2-up. Rear is 33 for solo and 36 for 2-up.

& recently in a tire wear thread WD said he runs 40 PSI. Now, to me, that just screams flat spotting the center, but WD has more time on bikes than I have in cars, so,, talk to him & ask him what the details are,, or maybe I am wrong thinking thats what I read,, dont just go do it,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #11 - 05/31/14 at 15:49:22

I would certainly turn you Raptor off at the end of each days ride and if you are going to work, it's probably ok to leave it on for short durations.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #12 - 05/31/14 at 18:04:45

I never turn mine off.  I even left it on over the winter.  No issues.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #13 - 05/31/14 at 19:18:27

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/31/14 at 12:18:32:

& recently in a tire wear thread WD said he runs 40 PSI. Now, to me, that just screams flat spotting the center, but WD has more time on bikes than I have in cars, so,, talk to him & ask him what the details are,, or maybe I am wrong thinking thats what I read,, dont just go do it,,

I have mine at 35 psi.  It just feels mushy to me if they are not firm.   Cheesy

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #14 - 05/31/14 at 23:21:09

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/31/14 at 12:18:32:

If the tire is rated for it and the bike has a swingarm, AT LEAST 40 psi front and rear. When I did a fork boot install on Sam earlier this week, I added a full inch of fluid to each fork leg. And I have the Progressive shocks currently set on midrange in the rear. I want to feel what the bike is trying to tell me, not the too soft tire sidewalls and tread shucking and jiving.

Rigid frame, regardless of the fork type, gets 40psi front and 25-35psi in the rear unless I have full 5" seat springs, in which case the rear is also at 40 psi.

Flat spotted? Nope, I usually have to change the foot pegs every other tire change. My bikes tend to have a pretty steep lean angle due to the firm tires, and I use every bit of it. My pegs end up chisel pointed.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 00:23:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Best first mods for newb

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.