Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Poll Poll
Question: Could the coil wire be bad coil?

shorting out?  
  0 (0%)
electrical problem?  
  0 (0%)

Total votes: 0
« Created by: savageLYFE on: 05/29/14 at 13:56:08 »

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Idling issue (Read 91 times)
savageLYFE
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Idling issue
05/29/14 at 05:59:50

I recently bought a 1987 Savage. It did not run when I bought it. It would just click when I hit the start button. Got it home, replaced the battery and the starter solenoid. It turned over after that but couldnt keep it idling. It was puffing black smoke so we thought it was running rich. We took the carb off cleaned it and made sure everything was working properly. We also tested the petcock as well. Still wouldnt idle. It will run but I have to keep the throttle open. The weird thing is we opened the choke while it was running and it seemed to run leaner??? We are at a loss for words. About ready to sell the bike. If anyone has any help or suggestion it would be greatly appreciated.

IP Logged
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
Re: Idling issue
Reply #1 - 05/29/14 at 06:52:39

I'm betting on a fuel delivery problem. How did you test the petcock, Put it on prime? Anyone here will tell you that the eom petcock on these bikes are all the way around the world bad.
I wouldn't just toss the bike, they are the VW of motorcycles and the guys here will help you get it up to par in no time I guarantee it.

Have you tried adjusting the idle and pilot air/fuel mix screw?

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 05/29/14 at 07:18:27

Have you tried removing the vacuum line for the petcock and blocking the carb vacuum nipple?  If the diaprhagm is bad in the petcock, and can leak fuel down the vacuum hose and right into the engine intake.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 05/29/14 at 07:46:20

savageLYFE wrote on 05/29/14 at 05:59:50:
It will run but I have to keep the throttle open. The weird thing is we opened the choke while it was running and it seemed to run leaner???

What does the air filter look like?
a wet filter will act like a choke too.

WWW   IP Logged
savageLYFE
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/29/14 at 08:33:37

I appreciate all the responses. Yes we did block the carb vacuum nipple and ran it on prime. It didnt have any fuel in the line. The air filter isnt new but we removed it and it didnt seem to have hardly any effect on how the bike idled. Also I forgot to mention that we also noticed that the spark plug was not screwed all the way down due to the fact that someone crossthreaded the threads. We fixed that and replaced with a new plug. Ran a little better but still wont idle. What about using a hotter spark plug??? PLEASE HELP

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 05/29/14 at 08:48:36

You seem to be a thinking person & I dont want to offend, but I didnt see
WE put new gas in it

I almost wish you would say the gas is not new, because thats sure sounding a lot like old gas,, & OHH what a cheap, easy fix That is!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 05/29/14 at 09:17:44

Is there anything that's not stock on the engine?

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 05/29/14 at 09:23:08

Just as a precaution,... dump that new gas into yer' car,... and try new gas again, from a different pump...

It has happened that people bought stale gas,, or worse, accidentally pumped diesel... and gone through weeks of frustration trying get their bike to run right... (one guy, found out the station accidentally filled the regular tank with diesel, and it got into a bunch of cars)...
Just as a precaution... you might try it...

If not,.. I'd guess there's still a jet or passage clogged...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
savageLYFE
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/29/14 at 13:34:36

No I am not offended at all. However we did not flush the tank and basically ran out the gas that was in there. We put another gallon of fresh in the tank. When we fixed the spark plug issue I did however have it running for awhile without it dying and actually managed to put about 10 miles on it. In that 10 miles I did stop and put another couple gallons in it. We thought we fixed the problem... I parked it that night and the next morning the problems started all over again. We are really banging our heads against the wall! I am going to try a hotter spark plug that the owners manual actually recommends doing. Pray for me Smiley

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 05/29/14 at 13:48:54

A hotter spark plug won't help anything.  A hotter plug does not make a better spark....it retains more heat in the ceramic insulator so that you can burn off deposits......unless your plug is black and sooty or fouled going to a hotter plug will not help.

A high rpm engine would most likely want a colder plug to account for the fact that the engine is spinning really fast and firing often.  A low rpm engine would want a hotter plug to retain more heat in the tip of the plug.

The new stock plug should work to make the bike idle for a long time....even if there are jetting problems and the bike is too rich.  You need to be careful about putting too hot of a plug in any engine - if it gets too hot it can burn the electrodes off, and that hot spot before it burns away can often can leave a divot or hole in the piston crown.

Center20Piston.JPG

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
savageLYFE
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 05/29/14 at 13:56:08

Do you guys think it could be a bad coil? Or could this be a electrical problem?

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #11 - 05/29/14 at 16:29:56

Y'know, both my Suzuki singles have exhibited the same problem. In both cases it was an o ring in the carb needed replacing. The float needle sits in a brass seat. The seat itself is removable from the carb body and is sealed by an o ring. Over time the o ring starts to leak. Fuel can flow between the carb body and the brass insert, through the leaky o ring, into the float chamber, bypassing the needle which is supposed to be controlling the fuel level. So it runs really smoky and rich at idle because the fuel level is as high as it wants to be, overflowing the float bowl. At higher RPM the engine can keep up with the fuel leak and it runs ok. Slow down, bad again. I noticed the choke making it run better, too. I hope you have the same problem, it's a cheap and easy fix  Cool . Good luck man.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 01:50:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Idling issue

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.