Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
clunking from the top end (Read 69 times)
kenvb
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

clunking from the top end
05/27/14 at 20:02:45

I have a 05 S40 that have never ridden, bought from used car lot at Christmas for $3000  only has 6500 kms on it. windshield, bags. fork bag,highway pegs   and new passenger back rest and rack in box  and frt driving lights and bar in a box.  started it few times on warm days this spring. went to ride it last week and it made a hell if a clunking when turning over  took off seat, tank  and left side chrome on the head.  the noise is coming from the decompressor, unplugged it, no more noise. but now.no more compression,  is it possible the  valve hit the piston ?

2005_S40_in_back_yard_Mar_24.jpg
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: clunking from the top end
Reply #1 - 05/27/14 at 20:15:10

the decomp only opens the valve a crack and not enough that it could hit the piston.

Note to self... check the wiseco pistons (high compression).

But if the cam for the decomp is stuck in the open position, you'll get the clatter and lost of compression.

open the front valve inspection port and take a look.

WWW   IP Logged
doh13

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NS CANADA
Reply #2 - 05/27/14 at 20:15:56

I noticed the clunking before the starter starts  when i tried my 99 savage it suprized me but its the decompression valve and its normal,  hook up the decompression valve again and don't worry about it unless the Clunking continues after the bike starts up. i had an old suzuki atv with a manual decompression valve and with the atv running if i hauled up on the valve it made the clunking noise so if its doing it with the motor running then the valve could be sticking. there is a round actuator that activates the decompression valve under the tank that might be corroded possibly or it may just need to be adjusted there is info on here about adjusting them etc..

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 05/27/14 at 20:17:45

Not likely,, check the decomp lever position, up on the head, left side. Make sure its not hung "activated".. Look at the spring, see how it pushes the arm, make sure the spring is winning, PLug the decompressor back in,

make sure the battery is fully charged,
tell us ALL about the bike, your experience with it,, surely youve seen it run,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
kenvb
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/27/14 at 21:28:19

Justin,  it ran fine when first bought it .ride it on my trailer just before Christmas at 30 below.  put it away in the shed till warmed up, started it few times in the shed ran beautiful.   then tryed to start it few weeks ago and the clunking began, has never run since, beem trying to rebuld my garage that burnt down Nov 8.13..  no time to take the head off the bike.
heres picture of the day I bought it. was 30 below 0...  brrrrrr  

2005_Suzuki_S40_w_ken.png
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 05/27/14 at 21:39:09

GOOD! Dont need to take the head off.. Your problem is most likely in the decomp.. Its late, Youll get more info,, & it looks COLD,, Bummer about the garage,, da\ng..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
kenvb
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/28/14 at 08:23:37

I ordered a shop manual for it.  when get it and my shop finished,,will tackle it.   here the old shop Nov 8 ,fire. here the new one 1/2 done.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 14:21:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › clunking from the top end

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.