Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Bobber Kit/Builders/Dealers (Read 211 times)
ihasabike

^^ihasapicofit!

Bobber Kit/Builders/Dealers
05/27/14 at 19:34:34

I stumbled across the Ryca RR1 bobber kit and their list of dealers.  There is one about 3 hours away who said he will build me a bobber using the Ryca kit.  The price is right, and I like the looks of the Ryca bobber.

Are there any other options I should consider as far as kits/builders/dealers?

K/N Filter; Tachometer; Raptor Petcock; Engine Guard; Highway Pegs; Windshield; GT Grips; Shot Filled Dragbars; Saddle Bags and Supports; 12V Outlet
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Re: Bobber Kit/Builders/Dealers
Reply #1 - 05/27/14 at 20:06:18

I'd just be sure the bike is mechanically sound before chopping and remodeling. Do your Verslagen tensioner, petcock etc. and be sure you have a good running motor before investing a lot in cosmetics.  It's cool you can afford to have someone do the work. There's a lot of stuff I'd like to do but can't afford to have someone do it and it would take me weeks to try to figure out and do on my own. Summer would be a good time to do the work here since riding in a blast furnace isn't any fun, but it also means working in 110+ in my carport after working construction all day... not gonna happen.

IP Logged
ihasabike

^^ihasapicofit!

Reply #2 - 05/28/14 at 05:23:58

I'm curious if the RR1 kit, or any bobber for that matter, is going to be much louder than stock.  I don't want an obnoxiously loud bike.

K/N Filter; Tachometer; Raptor Petcock; Engine Guard; Highway Pegs; Windshield; GT Grips; Shot Filled Dragbars; Saddle Bags and Supports; 12V Outlet
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 05/28/14 at 05:32:25

Rycas look good, no doubt.. the question is comfort.
REcommend you ride one as far as you ride yours in a day..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 05/28/14 at 06:26:32

ihasabike wrote on 05/28/14 at 05:23:58:
I'm curious if the RR1 kit, or any bobber for that matter, is going to be much louder than stock.  I don't want an obnoxiously loud bike.

Well....if you go with the high mounted muffler that is on the Bobber kit...it will be loud.  If you want something as quiet as stock...you will have to use the stock muffler in the lower position.

I have not yet figured out exactly what your riding needs and wants are.  Your questions so far have included a windhshield, a nice quiet muffler....and a Bobber kit.  I am not sure how those all get incorporated into the same bike - but it might be a possibility.  If you go to the hardtail Bobber kit....I am pretty sure you will not be taking extended trips on it anymore - as the ride will not be cushy!

I did a cafe' conversion that was mostly based on the RYCA cafe' bike, and I used several of their parts.  The bike has suspension that is better than the original - but the riding position is a bit labor intensive and the seat is not much more than a large "band aid".  The bike is a lot of fun to ride, and I commonly go on 1-2 hour trips around the back roads.  On the Dragon trips I can extend that to 4-6 hour rides.....and thankfully the rest of the group has to stop every 100 miles to fuel up and give my buns some time off the seat!

I really hope that if you do a conversion you enjoy the bike even more afterwards.......I have no regrets about the conversin I did.  You do need to see if you can ride a Bobber somewhere and see how it feels......make sure you like it before your bike goes under the knife!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 05/28/14 at 08:00:21

Replace your shocks with a set of hard struts. I'd bet NicktheHuman would sell you his as his wife forced him to go back to running rear suspension... You really need to see if you like riding rigid before you drop the money to turn a $5K baby bike into a $9K piece of art. I know you can afford it, but, no point doing the work only to sell it at a massive loss and start over... Even with the modifications done professionally, you'll only get at best 50-60% of OEM retail for it.

Savages have little to no resale value, modified ones, no matter how nice, even less.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
ihasabike

^^ihasapicofit!

Reply #6 - 05/28/14 at 20:02:41

Basically, I want one of everything.  So far, I have my '06 GSXR 1000, which is the world record production bike for 0-60 (2.5 sec) and quarter mile (9.5 sec), and my S40, which I am outfitting for touring.  I will also want a lightweight bike that I can use to tool around the neighborhoods at less than 30 mph for the "magical bicycle that I don't have to pedal experience."  I think the big windshield will ruin my S40 for that, since it is not quick release.  I thought a bobber might do, but of it is obnoxiously loud, that will ruin the "magical bicycle that I don't have to pedal experience."

I plan to get a dual purpose bike when I have some land on which I can run it.  There are no public or private trails near me at the moment.

So, what else should I get?  You know, for the "magical bicycle that I don't have to pedal experience?"

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 05/28/14 at 21:14:37

A Mo Ped?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #8 - 05/28/14 at 23:29:54

A Felt brand beach cruiser bicycle and a conversion engine. Tops out around 35mph, which is way beyond the capacity of the brake kit.

I've got a 1937 Schwinn Henderson (yeah, the former motorcycle company) bicycle and a Stihl 015 chainsaw with a broken fore grip... and 3 days of the next 4 off... and I'm bored... and have a complete dirt track bar-throttle-lever set in the shed...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 05/29/14 at 05:13:11

ihasabike wrote on 05/28/14 at 20:02:41:
So, what else should I get?  You know, for the "magical bicycle that I don't have to pedal experience?"

This is what I got for that ride down to church on Sunday morning, ride over to the neighbors farm.....or a ride around the country block.  It is a bunch of fun, and does attract a lot of attention.  I was able to get this from the estate of a local fellow that was a hoarder and passed away.  It is a 1966 Honda S65 what was only licensed in 1967 and had 372 miles on it when I got it 6 months ago.  It now has just a tad over 400 miles.....it is only a mile to church from my house!

Not sure if something like this fits your style.....but it is a lot of fun!  T will go up 45 mph if needed (and you are not going uphill).

This is the photo I took before I cleaned it up.

Dave

IMG_0929.JPG

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 05/29/14 at 05:16:53

And if a funky old Honda is not your style.....you can make it into something else.  This is a 90cc Honda Cub that was made into a Cafe' bike.  The 90cc version would have a lot more pep than my 65cc bike....it might even get up to 60 mph!

munyuk5.jpg

IP Logged
ihasabike

^^ihasapicofit!

Reply #11 - 05/29/14 at 19:06:57

Those are pretty awesome.  Are they loud?

I tried to figure out how to convert my Jesse James chopper bicycle into a moped, but the moped kits all seem to need a V frame for proper mounting.  Too bad.

Jesse_James.jpg

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #12 - 05/30/14 at 04:27:35

ihasabike have you checked out Blue Collar Bobbers also?

http://bluecollarbobbers.com/suzuki-savage-s40

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 05/30/14 at 04:38:04

ihasabike wrote on 05/29/14 at 19:06:57:
Those are pretty awesome.  Are they loud?.

These old Honda's are a bit louder than a sewing machine.

Yesterday I happened to go by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation site in Walton, KY while a class was going on.  I was impressed by how attractive the Suzuki Tu250 is. The fuel tank is a really pleasant shape and the bike looks a bit retro....no funky looking space age stuff on it.   If you didn't want to ride on the interstates or expressway - this could be a great bike for in town or on country roads.

Dave

suzuki-tu250x-xl.jpg

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 05/30/14 at 08:24:33

I do believe poor Ihasabike has more than a bike.. It looks like Ihasabike has The Disease,, Finding a little trail bike like that would be sweet.. just what the Doctor ordered. Wont cure The Disease, but help to manage it a while..

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 22:24:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bobber Kit/Builders/Dealers

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.