Send Topic Print
Riding in the Rain? (Read 206 times)
sailorcolin

Building a street
tracker!

Rock Hill, SC
Riding in the Rain?
05/23/14 at 11:50:42

Has any experienced the ls 650 in the wet? I don't plan on doing it on purpose, but I do live in the south and afternoon thunder storms are common around here. How dose the bike handle, the front fender work and overall problems or not the the LS 650 may have?

99 Savage Street Tracker build.
WWW   IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: Riding in the Rain?
Reply #1 - 05/23/14 at 11:58:54

The stock front fender will deposit lots of water in your boots. Some including Serowbot have added a rubber guard to the bottom of the fender to alleviate this issue. The stock tyres aren't that brilliant in the wet so be careful, other than that it's a nice little bike and I have had no issues. If possible avoid riding on brand new tyres in the rain, give them 100 miles in the dry to scuff in.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Beagle

1998 Suzuki Savage

Ohio
Reply #2 - 05/23/14 at 11:59:54

I rode in the rain last year when my wife was a passenger.  It was a light rain either but a hard, "Build the Ark!" type rain.   Grin   It ran fine...so problem!   Just go slower and take your time.

IP Logged
Sheriff41

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

O'ahu, HI
Reply #3 - 05/23/14 at 12:05:00

My first ride on mine in the rain was the day I brought it home!  Just slow down a little, less lean in corners, avoid painted stripes and other slick surfaces, and pick the driest part of your lane.  Dry your bike off when you get it home.

IP Logged
sailorcolin

Building a street
tracker!

Rock Hill, SC
Reply #4 - 05/23/14 at 12:14:48

Sounds good! Thanks guys

WWW   IP Logged
Coaxial

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reply #5 - 05/23/14 at 12:29:32

My brakes are squeakier in the rain for sure. I dont have a pod filter so no effect on air intake.

2007 Suzuki Boulevard S40 Black. K&N Air Filter, Jardine Rumbler Exhaust, Raptor Petcock.

145 Main Jet, 45 Pilot Jet, 1.5x
  IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #6 - 05/23/14 at 21:25:48

she is a light girl, keep her upright and slow, I've been on worse bikes in the wet  Wink

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Reply #7 - 05/23/14 at 21:32:22

At stop lights and stop signs, steam will rise up from the engine. It will fog up the windshield and goggles.

Expect crud to accumulate in the engine fins. Also, the rear tire deposits mud on the muffler. I removed my battery last month, it had caked on mud from the holes in the battery box. I had to scrape away caked on mud from my oil drain plug just to get a wrench on it.

My front caliper gums up, I have an extra so I can have a clean one to swap in when this happens (about 2 months of intentional rain riding).

Wet leaves accumulating on the roadway can be a hazard for motorcycles - if we hit the brakes on a patch of wet leaves(or flower petals), expect the wheels to lockup instantly. I've had this happen numerous times, with both wheels locking up.

Mud can accumulate on the front disc, this can double braking distance. The pads will bite after they swipe the mud away.

The biggest problem, IMO, would be the cagers limited visibility. I use the horn more often when I'm riding in the rain, and I always wear a high vis jacket. I installed a Dyna muffler just to be more noticeable in low vis conditions.

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 05/23/14 at 23:39:33

I think one of the biggest hazards in riding in lousy weather is
Drivers dont Expect to see a motorcyclist,,

In the summer, on a pretty day, they expect bikers to be out, like I expect to see joggers, & when someone isnt Expecting to see a biker,, theyre even LESS inclined to be watching for them,, SO,, BE as Visible as possible, use all the tricks, & dont be the first in a long line & dont be the last,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #9 - 05/24/14 at 06:18:28

^^^^ What they said.... be extra diligent, take corners slower, and watch out for them cagers...or do like we did last year at the dragon run....find a place to park.

Didn't work well tho... we kept running into the rain, so we decided we was already wet, might as well keep riding...(Dave, Old Feller having fun, and Old_rider took the picture)

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #10 - 05/24/14 at 06:23:14

thanks for the pic.. nice to see a face we can relate to the username  Wink

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
sailorcolin

Building a street
tracker!

Rock Hill, SC
Reply #11 - 05/30/14 at 06:33:34

How do cone air filters hold up in the rain? is there too much water contact for them to be used?

WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #12 - 05/30/14 at 07:47:22

sailorcolin wrote on 05/30/14 at 06:33:34:
How do cone air filters hold up in the rain? is there too much water contact for them to be used?

They do better with a rain shield deflecting most of the rain and run off. Go by CycleGear and get a replacement face shield. Heat it with a hair dryer, shape it and affix it to the frame as a rain guard over the cone filter. Not perfect but it helps a lot. You can do the same thing with thin metal if you want it to be a cheaper and more traditional fix.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
sailorcolin

Building a street
tracker!

Rock Hill, SC
Reply #13 - 05/30/14 at 09:46:56

WD wrote on 05/30/14 at 07:47:22:
sailorcolin wrote on 05/30/14 at 06:33:34:

They do better with a rain shield deflecting most of the rain and run off. Go by CycleGear and get a replacement face shield. Heat it with a hair dryer, shape it and affix it to the frame as a rain guard over the cone filter. Not perfect but it helps a lot. You can do the same thing with thin metal if you want it to be a cheaper and more traditional fix.

I dont have a cone air filter, I was just wondering for future projects!

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 05/30/14 at 09:57:41

&, FWIW, Ive been so completely soaked that when I put feet down at a light I could feel the spark plug firing,,NOT pleasant, I was actually surprised ( I REally wanted to say "shocked") that it kept running with so much of the spark plugs "OOomph" running thru me.

If you can find a pic of Serowbots bike youll see a nifty little mudguard on his front fender,,I dunno if its wide enuff or long enuff to actually be as effective as it needs to be,,but if youre gonna be an all weather rider, get some rain gear & pack it along on your rides & put a mud flap on.
You can put feet up on the engine to get them up out of some of the spray, but its not fun,,Helps some when its real cold, too,.,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 19:04:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Riding in the Rain?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.