Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Guilty until proven innocent by an illegal search (Read 50 times)
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Guilty until proven innocent by an illegal search
05/23/14 at 11:09:15

AURORA, CO — Seeking a bank robbery suspect with no description of the culprit, police barricaded an intersection, ordered dozens of people out of their cars at gunpoint, handcuffed every adult, and performed a warrantless search of all vehicles in the perimeter.

The incident occurred on June 2nd, 2012.  New details are being revealed nearly 2 years later in joint federal lawsuit being filed on behalf of 14 people.

After a bank robber sped off with loot from the Wells Fargo Bank, police used a GPS tracking beacon, hidden inside the bag of stolen cash, to track down the location of the suspect to the nearest intersection. However, the police had no idea who they were looking for.  There had been no description of the suspect or the vehicle.

“We didn’t have a description, didn’t know race or gender or anything, so a split-second decision was made to stop all the cars at that intersection, and search for the armed robber,” Aurora police officer Frank Fania said.

Police decided to treat everyone like a criminal.  The intersection of E. Iliff Avenue and S. Buckley Road was shut down by a flurry of police cars swarming in at once.

The lawsuit alleges that police “immediately surrounded and barricaded all nineteen vehicles stopped at the red light at that intersection,” noting that officers “had no description of the vehicle in which the robber fled” and “could not even pinpoint from which vehicle the transmitter’s signal was emitted.”

“Cops came in from every direction and just threw their car in front of my car,” said Sonya Romero, one of those trapped by police, to KMGH-TV in Denver.  “We didn’t know what the heck was going on.  We didn’t know if were were in the line of fire, or what the hell was happening.”

“Nonetheless, the officers demanded that all vehicle occupants hold their arms up and outside of their vehicle windows,” the lawsuit states, adding that motorists were not even permitted to “shut off their vehicle’s ignition, put their vehicle in park, or lift their parking brakes.”

Those caught up in the dragnet were “detained, removed, searched, restrained — and terrified,” according to the lawsuit.

“They got behind shields.  They had M-4′s, shotguns out; taser guns, everything,” said witness Ben Barker to ABC-7 News.

“They brandished shields and pointed assault rifles directly at innocent citizens, including children under ten years old. Officers with police dogs were at the ready. No one was free to leave,” the lawsuit says.

“Officers, weapons still drawn, proceeded to each vehicle,” the lawsuit states.  Cops paid particular attention to those who appeared “overly nervous or anxious.”

The meticulous vehicle-to-vehicle search lasted 2 hours, “despite having no probable cause or reasonable suspicion that any particular individual had committed any offense.”  All the while, people were left shackled and corralled helplessly on the sidewalk.

Tim Olson, a Denver mechanic, was one of those drivers trapped in the police dragnet. He told FOX-31, “Suddenly there was a police officer straight ahead, takes a shotgun or rifle and aims my direction. You know never having been in that situation before it was extremely confusing, extremely intimidating.”

During the long detainment, Mr. Olson had difficulty kneeling on the hard sidewalk, and fell “face forward onto the pavement,” according to the lawsuit, as an officer “continued to scream at Mr. Olson to [kneel] while waving his shotgun near Mr. Olson’s face.”

“I was telling the officer ‘you’re hurting me. Let go,”" Olson remembered.  “They said ‘quit resisting.’”

The “more-than-two-hour mass roundup of innocent men, women and children at a traffic section” left a total of 28 adults handcuffed, and 19 vehicles searched.

“This is the sort of thing that, if litigated correctly, it could go all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court because it is an open question,” said University of Denver law professor, Justin Merceau to Fox 31.

Those named as defendants in the lawsuit are the City of Aurora, Colorado; Police Chief Daniel J. Oates; Christen Lertch; Kristopher McDowell; Luke J. Barker; Richard Ray; Brandt A. Smith; Michael David Prince; and A. Todd Chanos.

The suspect was eventually found — but at what cost?  The rights of dozens of innocent citizens rights were seemingly nullified in order to recover some green paper.

“Exigent circumstances” remains a dangerous loophole in which police may callously ignore citizens’ rights.  Throughout the incident, officers would not have been able point to any articulable suspicion on any of the individuals that they were searching.  Based on a blip on a GPS monitor, dozens of people’s 4th amendment rights were discarded — not to mention the fact that their lives were threatened by shotgun-wielding cops riding an adrenaline buzz.

Police State USA covered a similar situation recently in Maryland, in which police shut down a 12-lane highway and performed car-to-car searches to find a robbery suspect.   Indeed, manhunts are a favorite opportunity for police to stretch the limits of their power.

This situation sorely needs to be addressed by the courts, in order to reign in the boundless powers of police during so-called exigent circumstances.

http://www.policestateusa.com/2014/aurora-colorado-manhunt/

--Steve

IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Re: Guilty until proven innocent by an illegal sea
Reply #1 - 05/23/14 at 14:56:48

goodness NO  Shocked

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #2 - 05/23/14 at 15:11:19

Love to set on that jury. Sadly these folk will be years down the road if and when they win an award. Our government will spend way more fighting this than it would cost to settle, most likely.....

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 05/23/14 at 23:20:28

As long as awards are payed TO taxpayers BY taxpayers the cops have Zero incentive to STOP SCREWING the People,,
The POlice , from whoever ordered this to everyone involved in doing it, ALL need to be financially SHAFTED for this. Not that that would necessarily be enough to compensate the victims, they need to be "made whole", & yes, some of that $$$ would come from the city( read: taxpayers), but until the cops suffer for their bad behavior, they wont stop.
LOcksmiths are bonded, doctors have malpractice insurance, why arent cops required to to have SOME kind of "proof of financial responsibility"?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
anebv8

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rangiora,New Zealand
Reply #4 - 05/23/14 at 23:53:37

the suspect was eventually found...but where was he found? At the intersection or elsewhere? Had a (very loosley) similar thing here where the police illegally detained a group of what they class as "boy racers" for 8 hours down a street,they had to stay in thier cars with no food water or toilets while the police went over thier cars looking for illegal modifications,no registrtions or warrant of fitness (dunno if the states have that,if not,let me know and I'll explain),the police are in the poopers now over it

Ago Solvo Intereo Puteus
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 05/24/14 at 00:09:07

anebv8 wrote on 05/23/14 at 23:53:37:
the suspect was eventually found...but where was he found? At the intersection or elsewhere? Had a (very loosley) similar thing here where the police illegally detained a group of what they class as "boy racers" for 8 hours down a street,they had to stay in thier cars with no food water or toilets while the police went over thier cars looking for illegal modifications,no registrtions or warrant of fitness (dunno if the states have that,if not,let me know and I'll explain),the police are in the poopers now over it

Some locales have emissions testing, some have safety inspections, some have both, some have neither. Depends on where you live. Where I live has neither, 40 miles to the south they have safety inspections, 200 miles east they have emissions testing.

Get caught street racing (even just as an observer) and your car can/will be impounded in several cities nationwide. It will be rendered inoperable and auctioned for salvage. You can not get it back, Period. Many of those same cities do the exact same for driving under the influence or driving without insurance, your vehicle is forfeited and sold.

And apparently, unlike every other place in the country, blue lights are legal for civilian use where I live. Anywhere else I've lived/traveled, that is a HUGE infraction, with points against your license and fines, at minimum...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #6 - 05/26/14 at 08:05:15

I really want to think that this has no other connotation.  Were the cops.. really that callous? If his wife was among the group, did he point the shotgun at her face and yell at her to "get down"???

I am hoping the reporting of this is slanted.  

Think of what the cops involved were taught by this.... That police state tactics are OK, to recover money. That everyone is a threat... mothers, children, everyone. Complete and utter crushing authority. Welcome to the new norm.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 05/26/14 at 08:37:09

Complete and utter crushing authority.

Okay, class,, Suzy's special pencil her mommy gave her is missing, she JUST had it.. Now, that pencil WILL be returned in the next 2 minutes or we are searching everyones desk.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/27/14 at 06:12:58

anebv8 wrote on 05/23/14 at 23:53:37:
,no registrtions or warrant of fitness (dunno if the states have that,if not,let me know and I'll explain)

I'm interested in what a warrant of fitness entails.
We used to have state inspections here.
They'd check for cracked windshields, tires, etc.
Some would be dicks... they bounced my friend for missing a center cap on his steelie. Steelies don't have center caps.

Steelie

The center cap

They did away with inspections.
Now they have emissions.
I have a 1990 Eclipse. It's a little tuned up but I put a stock exhaust on to go through emissions.
I passed the sniffer test (They stick a probe in the tail pipe to measure co2 and NOx). So my car is obviously burning clean but he didn't like the look of my catalytic converter and failed me on a visual.

Many years ago someone in Mass. did one of the first electric engine swaps in a Nissan 240SX. He failed because his emissions were too low.
Too low?
Of course they were too low, there was no internal combustion engine!

--Steve

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 05:49:00

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Guilty until proven innocent by an illegal search

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.