Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
front fork minimum width (Read 73 times)
Jeff71

I'm a bike noob!!!!!

South of Chicago, the suburbs
front fork minimum width
05/22/14 at 10:01:35

Hey gang,
Could anyone tell me exactly what is the minimum fork width? I want to run a 450-18 Firestone on the front (no fender) but need to get some numbers to see if it will clear. The 450 section width is 4.8". Ryan said a 450-18 should work in the back but I'll have to hog out the crossbrace. Thanks!
Jeff

Yeah, like I have any clue what is going on....
http://myrycabuild.weebly.com
  IP Logged
Jeff71

I'm a bike noob!!!!!

Re: Thumpin' Special......On The Road Again!
Reply #1 - 05/22/14 at 09:51:31

Ryan e-mailed me as I was asking about running 450-18 front and rear. Here is the e-mail...

If I modded my own swingarm (fully capable) and I wanted to run a 450-18, would the tire rub against the belt? (Chain conversion help?) Would a 450-18 rub on the front forks? (Not going to run a front fender.) The diameter has only a .83" difference with a .59" width difference.
   Jeff

Its a good question, never tried, finding the "true" width of that tire would be key.

You can run a 150-90-15 tire on a stock savage with stock belt, belt is very close but it will work.  That tire is 6" wide for reference.

One of our customers ran one but not sure if he converted to chain or not.

If I were to guess, I would say yes it would likely clear.   Just have to do a big notch in the swing.

Thanks

Ryan

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: front fork minimum width
Reply #2 - 05/22/14 at 10:15:51

Looking at my measurements that I made when getting my fork brace made, it appears the distance between the fat (top) part of the fork sliders is 4.77".

It looks like the tire you want to use is too big....but the cross section is effected by the width of the rim you use.  And by dropping to a 18" rim you might be able to drop the wide part of the tire down below the fat part of the fork slider....really depends on how tall the tire is.  Running that big of a front tire sure is going to make the bike really sluggish for making turns.

This is how my 100/90-18" tire sits in comparison to the forks.

IMG_1066_001.JPG

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Jeff71

I'm a bike noob!!!!!

Reply #3 - 05/22/14 at 10:22:18

Much appreciated! I guess I should stick with the 400-18 and build up from there.
Jeff

IP Logged
Jeff71

I'm a bike noob!!!!!

Reply #4 - 05/24/14 at 16:53:31

Dave,
Who resized/ laced your front wheel? Cost? Thanks!
Jeff

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 05/25/14 at 18:07:12

Jeff:

I laced and trued my wheel.  It is good mental therapy....as long as it goes well.

I have only laced about 6 wheels in my life, and it is not all that hard but is time consuming for a novice.  It takes me about 3-4 hours to get it laced, tightened and trued.  Most of the times it goes well....one time it went well for a while and then started going crooked - so you just loosen things up and try again.  It worked fine the second try.

If you only want one done....the $ 100 fee for a professional job is well worth it.  If you have a lifetime of wheel projects ahead.....it is time to learn how to do it.

I have an extra hub, Buchanan Stainless spokes, and a new Excell rim with a tiny scratch if you want a project....I will make you a good deal!

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Jeff71

I'm a bike noob!!!!!

Reply #6 - 05/25/14 at 18:45:53

If I get another project I'll be chopped up and BURIED under the doghouse! Treading a fine line on this end. I need to sell my dune buggy and 356 speedster replica (unfinished) to get in better graces.... Shocked
If I get a S40 and want to do the conversion, I'll have to have all the parts and be ready to have it done in a day or so!
Jeff

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 06:28:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › front fork minimum width

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.