Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Steering Stem Bearing Grease War!!! (Read 194 times)
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Steering Stem Bearing Grease War!!!
05/21/14 at 21:39:17

Bottom Line Up Front: I'm thinkin' that a high quality polyurea-based grease rated for EP applications is the best to use for motorcycle steering head bearings.

As seen in this thread (page 28), I recently repacked the steering head bearings in a 2007 Kawasaki KLR 650 that had only 1200 (rain-free) miles on it.

The factory grease job:

Note the unusual color of the OEM grease (sort of a babysh*t green).  More on this below.

My intention was to pack the steering stem bearings with a high quality grease of some type.  Now, I've got four different kinds of bikes and a factory service manual (FSM) for each of the four different types. Three out of the four FSM's don't really stipulate a special kind of grease for the steering head bearings. The FSM for my '05 Gold Wing, however, states that an extreme pressure (EP) rated polyurea-based grease be used. Some Internet research yielded that these types of greases seemed to be highly regarded for this application.

Now, I know that the most common grease to use in this application is probably Bel-Ray Waterproof grease.  That is what I've used in the past, anyway.  However, some research indicated that Bel-Ray makes no claims of EP qualities for that grease.  Note that Bel-Ray DOES sell something similar, with EP qualities (Marine Extreme Pressure Waterproof Grease), but I was intrigued with finding out more about the grease that Honda recommended for my '05 Gold Wing.

The Honda FSM for my Gold Wing specifically points out two brands of grease that fit the bill for the bike's steering head bearings and the associated dust seal lips.  Of those two, “Shell Stamina EP2” looked to be the most accessible to me (the other grease that was mentioned was “Excelight EP2”, manufactured by Kyodo Yushi Japan).  It turns out that the Shell grease (an abbreviated set of specs can be found here) has since been replaced by “Shell Gadus S3 T 220 2” (on which the specs can be found here).

Well, I couldn't source any of the Shell grease locally, so back on the Internet I went.  I found some Mobil grease locally, “Mobil Polyrex EP2,”, that seemed to match up nicely with the hard to find Shell Gadus grease.  Since it was priced reasonably, (less than $10.00 for a 14 oz. cartridge), I tooted over and got me one of 'em.

Imagine my surprise when I popped the top off of the new grease and found it to be about the same color of the OEM grease I'd found on the steering stem bearings!  One wonders if Kawasaki is using this stuff at the factory for this application (it is worth noting, however, that the Kawasaki FSM for the KLR650 does not specify any special kind of grease for the steering head bearings....).

On a side note, when I was later trying to figure out how to clean the lower steering stem bearing (which was press fit onto the steering stem/lower triple clamp assy) without damaging the captive black rubber grease seal, I came across the suggestion of using transmission fluid to do the job.  I have lots of this stuff on hand, purchased for a car I no longer own, and saw this as a good way to get rid of some of that stash.  However, when testing a bit of the old, OEM grease, I found that it would not readily dissolve in the tranny fluid.  Curiosity fully aroused, I tried the same trick with a bit of the new Mobil grease I'd just purchased (see above).  Same result.  I then tried to dissolve a bit of lithium-based grease in the tranny fluid and found that it dissolved rather easily.  One could be forgiven for thus jumping to the conclusion that the factory used polyurea-based grease to pack the steering stem bearings.

So, Honda recommends this grease for the 2005 GL1800 and Kawasaki seemed to be using it on their 2007 KLR 650's.

Until I'm convinced otherwise, I'll use the Mobil Polyrex EP2 grease on all of my steering head bearings from here on out....

If you can't find it locally, note that I've seen it being sold on eBay from time to time.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Steering Stem Bearing Grease War!!!
Reply #1 - 05/21/14 at 22:42:55

I just did this!... and I was shocked at how much stuff I had to pull to get there...
... also,... how easy it was... Huh...
But,... my choice, at Autozone,was between dyno/syth/ and blend...
I've too cheap for syth,...to lazy for dyno,... so I bought the blend...

My bearings should be honored.... I already had perfectly, sorta' good, 20 year old, wheel bearing grease, in my shop...

I figured,.. blend is better than the factory did,... and that lasted 30+k miles...

PS... my stock stuff wasn't green... but it was crispy dry...

Green,... actually sounds pretty cool... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 05/21/14 at 23:02:06

yep, no baby Scheisse green for me... gooey brown is what I found.
So I replaced it with some hi temp black axle type stuff.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 05/22/14 at 04:58:33

That looks a whole lot like the Green Grease I have been using in just about everything (wheels bearings, steering head bearings, swing arm bushings, brake cam).  I was able to buy it at Tractor Supply - but they don't carry it now.  Several different Auto Stores still carry it.

It is really sticky and stays put.  I did a test where I placed several differerent greases in a little dab on my bandsaw table.  I then took a paper towel and wiped them off.....and the Green Grease leaves a greasy slick behind that is very durable.  It takes a lot more wiping and some solvent to actually get it off the metal.  Maybe not a true test.....but it showed me that it likes to stay on the metal surface.

Here is a link to the data sheet.
http://www.greengrease.net/PDF/GreenGease.pdf

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 05/22/14 at 10:36:20

Steering head bearings, take a solid load, dont spin fast. Id expect any quality axle bearing grease to be just fine.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #5 - 05/22/14 at 12:58:18

KLOTZ grease only!
Smiley

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #6 - 05/22/14 at 20:36:19

Dave wrote on 05/22/14 at 04:58:33:
That looks a whole lot like the Green Grease I have been using in just about everything (wheels bearings, steering head bearings, swing arm bushings, brake cam).  I was able to buy it at Tractor Supply - but they don't carry it now.  Several different Auto Stores still carry it.

It is really sticky and stays put.  I did a test where I placed several differerent greases in a little dab on my bandsaw table.  I then took a paper towel and wiped them off.....and the Green Grease leaves a greasy slick behind that is very durable.  It takes a lot more wiping and some solvent to actually get it off the metal.  Maybe not a true test.....but it showed me that it likes to stay on the metal surface.

Here is a link to the data sheet.
http://www.greengrease.net/PDF/GreenGease.pdf

Hi Dave,

Actually, anecdotally I noticed the same thing about the Mobil Polyrex EP2.  It really clung to metal and it was difficult to get off.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #7 - 12/30/14 at 14:52:05

FYI, I'm selling my excess Mobil Polyrex EP2 grease.  See this thread.

UPDATE: All six cartridges sold.

« Last Edit: 12/30/14 at 19:14:42 by Digger »  

Digger
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
koehlerrk

One cylinder to rule
them all...

East of Keuka Lake NY
Reply #8 - 12/30/14 at 17:51:22

OK, so should I pull the bearings on my new-to-me 87 Savage and repack them this winter while I'm doing everything else?

Ya'know, I'm thinking maybe I should.

Added to "The List".

I can tell you EXACTLY what it feels like to get hit by a truck. I do not recommend anyone try it themselves.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 12/30/14 at 19:39:54

What's wrong with any NOT CHEAP grease from the local Heavy Equipment sales and service place? I buy case lots for the back hoe. I don't see why that would not be good enough.
Fwiw, mine is red.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 12/31/14 at 12:01:23

I would guess just about any grease would be better than what comes from the factory....and even that lasts a long time.

However - we are looking to find Grease Nirvana! Grin

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #11 - 12/31/14 at 15:14:08

Many moons ago when I was in the Army, we switched over from using GAA (grease - automotive, artillery - brown stuff) to GA (grease - aviation -high temp red) on our M88 tracked recovery vehicles. The M88 weighs approx. 60 tons and we would pull M60 or M1 tanks with it. We were constantly changing road wheels due to bad bearings when we used GAA. We started using GA and the problems went away. Now this is on vehicles that get driven through water, mud, and sand.

Needless to say if High temp grease worked there , it'll be fine for motorcycles.

Actually any good quality grease will work.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
Doug B

I am, therefore I
think

Kennewick, WA
Reply #12 - 01/01/15 at 10:54:53

Digger - is it by chance that your greased parts are resting on an ad for a substance which is now legal for recreational use in your state(and mine) ?  You seem like a military man(I spent 4 years in back in the 80's).  But as Bob Dylan once said "The Times They Are A Changin".    

IP Logged
Doug B

I am, therefore I
think

Kennewick, WA
Reply #13 - 01/03/15 at 11:18:27

In my never-ending attempt(key word being attempt) at humor I posted my comments about the ad under the greased parts. Due to the lack of responses(I thought a few more humorous responses would follow) I thought wrong. I guess the forum members perception of Digger was that he would find nothing humorous in it. I sent him a personal message relaying my thoughts and apologies. He returned a PM stating that he was fine with it, and thought that it was funny, as well. For a while I thought that I might have to become the next Mr. Orange(an old thread from Old Feller) about someone changing their name to continue on this site. I'll try to give things a little more thought in the future before posting.  

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 01/03/15 at 12:06:34

I got mine... thanks digger.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 14:29:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Steering Stem Bearing Grease War!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.