Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Left cover (Read 45 times)
quentin99

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Left cover
05/21/14 at 19:41:18

Anyone know how to remove the left cover. I want to clean the cover up and paint it. Its easier to do off the bike. Do I have to take off the screw cap and take out that 19mm bolt? If I have to take off that cap how do it do it other than the special tool?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Left cover
Reply #1 - 05/21/14 at 20:28:12

You gotta' take off a lot more than the inspection cover...
I honestly don't think you wanna' go there... yer' stator, and starter gears are under there...

but, not that 19mm bolt... take that off and yer' fuked...

If you are determined... look in the Tech section contents for starter gear upgrade for 4spds... (something like that)...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
quentin99

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/21/14 at 20:42:42

Yeah I started to pull it off and the cover felt springy like you would try to pull it off and the cover wanted to pull its self back in. Now one of the bolts dosent fit right. Like its not long enough but I kept track of what bolts went where. I saw little silver parts where the bolt threads into those dont move do they?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 05/21/14 at 20:48:40

you may change your mind...
take all of the 8mm hex bolts off... they're all difference sizes and there's no map to tell you how to put them back in.
so you may want to take them out 1 at a time maybe number or measure how long they are and make a map for us.
(next time I swear I'll think about it   Grin  )
you also have to take the pulley cover off (no biggy)
as there's a couple under there.
then you get to pry the cover off.  there's 2 or 3 tabs you can get your fingers under, pop one side loose then the other
NO HARD TOOLS ON THE GASKET SURFACE!!!
you'll regret it if you do.
then you get to pull the cover while the magnet says no... you can't have it.

WWW   IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #4 - 05/21/14 at 21:46:53

quentin99 wrote on 05/21/14 at 19:41:18:
Anyone know how to remove the left cover. I want to clean the cover up and paint it. Its easier to do off the bike. Do I have to take off the screw cap and take out that 19mm bolt? If I have to take off that cap how do it do it other than the special tool?

I don't recall having to take the big cap off to remove my side cover. (I ground down a hinge and use a pair of vice grips to take it off, just in case you need to do it later for something.) You'll need to loosen up your pegs and pedals to get to the lower bolts. I managed to get them loose enough to swing them out of the way but it was still a pain in the rear. BE SURE you make a cardboard cut out of the cover and put the bolts in it where they go back. I tapped around on it with a wood block and hammer (lightly!) to break the gasket free. And what those other guys said...

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #5 - 05/21/14 at 21:50:52

quentin99 wrote on 05/21/14 at 20:42:42:
Yeah I started to pull it off and the cover felt springy like you would try to pull it off and the cover wanted to pull its self back in. Now one of the bolts dosent fit right. Like its not long enough but I kept track of what bolts went where. I saw little silver parts where the bolt threads into those dont move do they?

The cover felt springy because it holds a big magnet for your stator. You gotta pull hard.  The threaded part is in the engine case, not the cover. So if you're seeing silver dust in the cover hole the bolt goes into, chances are you might have stripped threads in the engine case.  Undecided

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 05/21/14 at 22:55:50

+1 everybody...

If you have the bike long enough, (same with any bike) you will need to do this,... to replace the stator...
... but,... just to make pretty?... you better really want pretty...
Gears and washers will fall out,... magnets will fight you,... and gaskets will tear...
This is all nothing,... to replace a stator.... but it's ridiculous to make a pretty...
You just gonna' rub it off with yer' foot, anyway... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 03:58:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Left cover

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.