Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Need Trailer for Towing S40 (Read 194 times)
BobH

2008 Stock S40; 2015
Stock S40

New Hampshire
Need Trailer for Towing S40
05/21/14 at 10:32:14

I'm looking to purchase a simple single motorcycle trailer.  Preferably one that folds.  Below is a lnk to the Ace Single Motorcycle Trailer.

http://theusatrailerstore.com/ace-single-motorcycle-trailer.html

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Bob
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Need Trailer for Towing S40
Reply #1 - 05/21/14 at 10:46:57

That is a really cool trailer and it is neat how it folds and stores.  It is pretty expensive once you consider the shipping is another $ 189.

For that same amount of money I bought a used enclosed trailer that holds the Savage just fine, and my little car can tow it.  Some of the smaller trailers that don't fold can be stored vertically up against the garage wall.

What are your abilites to store a trailer?

Dave

IMG_0233.JPG

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
BobH

2008 Stock S40; 2015
Stock S40

New Hampshire
Reply #2 - 05/21/14 at 17:58:14

It is a lot of money for a single use trailer.  I don't have room for an enclosed trailer like you have, but a utility trailer that folds against a wall might make more sense for the money, especially since I can use it for many other things.  Also, the utility trailer has springs where the ace motorcycle trailer does not.

So I'm now leaning toward this:

http://www.redtrailers.com/ShowTrailer.asp?id=2

Bob
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #3 - 05/21/14 at 18:23:19

Go to harbor freight

http://www.harborfreight.com/1195-lb-capacity-48-inch-x-96-inch-heavy-duty-fo...

Buy some plywood and one of these

http://www.harborfreight.com/self-locking-motorcycle-wheel-chock-60392.html

Go to youtube and watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBOn91luQOk

Less than $500 for everything (except your time),  AND it folds up....

Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 05/21/14 at 19:26:58

while I can't really recommend this for the savage (high head angle causes it to lean in turns)...
I do have one and use it for short trips.
Real handy when dropping car/bike off for service.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1347145111

WWW   IP Logged
BobH

2008 Stock S40; 2015
Stock S40

New Hampshire
Reply #5 - 05/21/14 at 22:03:23

This will be for some long distance travel so a full trailer looks like my best option and there's a Harbor Freight right down the road, which will save me shipping cost.

That certainly looks like my best cost effective solution.

Thanks all!

Bob
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 05/21/14 at 23:00:21

My buddy George, has one of those cheapy 4' x 8' , Harbor Freight, trailers....
Man,... I've used the cr@p outta' that thing...
Worth every penny he paid... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 05/22/14 at 07:27:39

The Harbor Freight trailer that old_rider linked work well with this type of ramp.
http://www.redtrailers.com/ShowItem.asp?id=SJ8542

You can get those ramps from several places - including ebay.

The loading ramp works great for dirt bikes - but is a bit short for the Savage, as the bottom drags on the angle point when loading unless you can get a small hill to help reduce the height at the back of the trailer.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 05/22/14 at 07:39:50

HF sells 6' and 8' ramps.

The thing about trailers (in at least CA) you're limited to a lower speed.

Man I just can't drive 55.   :'(

WWW   IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #9 - 05/22/14 at 13:13:31

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
redpiranha
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

ct
Reply #10 - 05/22/14 at 16:51:17

I looked at the harbor freight trailers also but was not happy with the tires on them . I think they were only rated to 55 mph and were kind of scary looking to tow anything on the highway. I bought a 4ft by 8ft trailer from tractor supply for about $300 and added decking and a harbor freight wheel chock . It works great and I have no problem towing at 80 mph with it. I even had my Hayabusa on it with no troubles

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #11 - 05/22/14 at 19:53:25

Read the reviews on anything you buy....the harbor freight stuff is cheap, and you have to repack the bearings and in some cases reinforce the frame....

I imagine everything has its tweaks to make it better...

Do some research.... it always helps...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 05/22/14 at 23:05:42

I built the HF "Folding TRailer.. I didnt make the cut that lets it fold. I went to Lowes & scrounged thru the plywood stacks. Found a 3/4 oak that retails for $80 bucks with a Boo Boo,, got it for 40. Slapped some 1/2 cheapo ply omn top of that, installed 6 tie downs in the floor,,built a ramp, welded a bar across the back to lay the ramps hooks on, It does swivel up in front, just un-pin the arms the hitch mount to & the front of the trailer lifts up. Ive used it a lot. It carries a little over 2 full yards of compost, no sweat,, 2 foot high walls, so, its 8X4X2=64 cubic feet,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 05/23/14 at 06:18:56

redpiranha wrote on 05/22/14 at 16:51:17:
I looked at the harbor freight trailers also but was not happy with the tires on them . I think they were only rated to 55 mph and were kind of scary looking to tow anything on the highway.

Some of Harbor Freight's stuff is less than great quality - however good 8" tires and wheels are up to the job.  The bad reputation comes from boat trailer axles that would be on the highway at 90 degrees....then plunged into 50 degree water.  The sudden chilling would make a vacuum in the hub and pull water into the bearings.

I have used 8" wheels and tires at highway speeds without problems.  I owned a small 40x48 trailer with a motorycle ramp that a fellow used to haul his Sportster back from New Hampsher on it....and it was a 20 year old trailer at the time.  I hauled a Kawasaki from Atlanta to Cincinnati on 8" tires at 70 mph....no problem.  You do need to keep the tires pumped up to very near the maximum pressure - running them with only partial pressure does make them run hotter.

Here is a photo of how I stored the little 40x48 open trailer.  I made a little stand that held it up against the wall.  This trailer was 20 years old, it was very similar to the little 40x48 trailers that Harbor Freight sells, and it had a single metal ramp.  I hauled the Savage on it a couple of times and it did great.  The only issue was the short ramp and I had to back up against a small hill to load so the bottom of the Savage did not drag on the ramp when loading.  I think my ramp was only about 3 feet long.

IMG_0563.JPG

IP Logged
redpiranha
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

ct
Reply #14 - 05/23/14 at 14:32:11

Dave wrote on 05/23/14 at 06:18:56:
redpiranha wrote on 05/22/14 at 16:51:17:
I looked at the harbor freight trailers also but was not happy with the tires on them . I think they were only rated to 55 mph and were kind of scary looking to tow anything on the highway.

Some of Harbor Freight's stuff is less than great quality - however good 8" tires and wheels are up to the job.  The bad reputation comes from boat trailer axles that would be on the highway at 90 degrees....then plunged into 50 degree water.  The sudden chilling would make a vacuum in the hub and pull water into the bearings.

I have used 8" wheels and tires at highway speeds without problems.  I owned a small 40x48 trailer with a motorycle ramp that a fellow used to haul his Sportster back from New Hampsher on it....and it was a 20 year old trailer at the time.  I hauled a Kawasaki from Atlanta to Cincinnati on 8" tires at 70 mph....no problem.  You do need to keep the tires pumped up to very near the maximum pressure - running them with only partial pressure does make them run hotter.

Here is a photo of how I stored the little 40x48 open trailer.  I made a little stand that held it up against the wall.  This trailer was 20 years old, it was very similar to the little 40x48 trailers that Harbor Freight sells, and it had a single metal ramp.  I hauled the Savage on it a couple of times and it did great.  The only issue was the short ramp and I had to back up against a small hill to load so the bottom of the Savage did not drag on the ramp when loading.  I think my ramp was only about 3 feet long.

Those tires must be of better quality now as the ones on the HF trailer I looked at actually said on the side walls do not exceed 55 mph . I've had my trailer for at least 5 years so it was that long ago I looked at those tires.  They were also a 12 or 13 inch tire not the 8's like you have. They may be of better quality now . I buy Hf stuff all the time , most of the stuff is great if your not using it on an everyday basis  or you make some modifications to them. Even my tractor supply trailer I added extra bracing to .

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 22:28:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Need Trailer for Towing S40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.