Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New Handlebars! (Read 253 times)
nickthe_human

Arkansas
New Handlebars!
05/20/14 at 19:28:03

Got me some new bars and wanted to share. They are EMGO High Chopper bars. Got a good deal on them shipped and everything was under 40. BUT the description says 6" rise with 15" pullback at only a 24.5" width. This was what I was wanting... (actually I wanted Baxter Buckshots, but those cost $130 and I did not want to spend that)

When the bars came in, however, they actually had an 11" rise! Shocked I figured I would try them out though as they looked super cool.

mockup:

trying to get a feel for how they...feel. and look:

and width:

They are HUGE! But way more comfortable than my other set(Biltwell Frisco) I haven't ridden yet as my cables are too short. I spent a good couple of hours trying every which way to reroute 'em. I ended up measuring out and ordering a new brake line, and based off a thread on here for 12" apes, I ordered a clutch cable for a Vulcan 750. Throttle just reaches. I hope to be riding with them this weekend.

Next up is a taller, thicker sissy bar to match.  Cool  and clean up the rear fender/brake light area.

2005 S40
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: New Handlebars!
Reply #1 - 05/20/14 at 20:15:59

I don't like how your wrist is flexed... should be straight.

I would cut the ends off till the controls just fit, then rotate them down a bit.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #2 - 05/20/14 at 20:36:26

I had that wrist flexed problem with the stock pull back bars.  My hands would go numb after about 10 minutes.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #3 - 05/20/14 at 23:40:13

I can get the big sissybar back, and have the throttle and clutch cables from when Pokey ran 15" apehangers... too short with my current FLT bar/dogbone riser combo. You'd have to come here though to get the sissybar, it is worth a small fortune and would never clear the Memphis shipping hubs.

Come over, we'll work something out on it. Bring your wife along so the bar can be set how she needs it. Also have a shorter twisted chrome version.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
nickthe_human

Arkansas
Reply #4 - 05/21/14 at 04:29:26

Thanks for the offer WD, but I've already got some ordered. And I'll probably make a sissy bar in the next couple of weeks. I just use round bar and bend it and drill it.

And verslagen, I will probably cut some off ends. Not sure how much yet. But yea I noticed it too when I looked at the picture. The way I have them now doesn't feel the same, so maybe I moved them when I remounted everything.

2005 S40
WWW   IP Logged
nickthe_human

Arkansas
Reply #5 - 05/27/14 at 10:41:16

So after a long weekend without riding, my clutch cable came in today. I ordered a Motion Pro VN750 clutch cable, but it does not fit. Length was fine, but there is extra hose past were it mounts to the back of the engine. Not sure if part changed or what. Maybe I'm doing it wrong Cheesy Any help or how to pictures WD

Some good news, my brake line came in and was perfect, probably could have gotten a few inches shorter, but better safe than sorry.

I'm just ready to ride my bike! It was perfect this memorial day weekend and I was bikeless. I was going to put my old bars back on so I could ride, but I snapped my clutch adjuster at the lever, so I have to find a new one of those as well!

2005 S40
WWW   IP Logged
nickthe_human

Arkansas
Reply #6 - 06/06/14 at 20:07:06

Finally got my new bars on. Motion Pro clutch cable came in and had a break in between rain and storms today.

Was thinking about doing a thread for my bike just to show off changes and mods that i've done/will do. Not a build thread per say, just a gallery with updates so I don't keep starting all these different threads. Would that go in Cafe or RSD?

Anyways, Pictures:

Definitely could have gone a few inches shorter on the brake line, and maybe an inch shorter on the clutch, but I wanted to make sure I had enough!

And I did end up cutting just over an inch off the ends so I could move the controls up. I'm happy with it so far, but haven't gotten to ride due to work and rain.

2005 S40
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 06/06/14 at 21:18:07

Bring your wife along so the bar can be set how she needs it.

I was holding my breath after

Bring your wife along so

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
nickthe_human

Arkansas
Reply #8 - 06/07/14 at 10:33:19

Yea, I always make sure she is there when I'm doing anything on the bike that affects her. When I make my new one, she will be my measuring guide, so it fits her alright.

2005 S40
WWW   IP Logged
Sheriff41

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

O'ahu, HI
Reply #9 - 06/08/14 at 00:06:53

Looks good!  Taking on an old school look with those bars.

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #10 - 06/08/14 at 06:49:01

I like to support little guys...But I don't know how anybody can ride with the Biltwell Friscos.I have a set on the Intruder.They look cool,but suck to actually hold on to.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #11 - 06/08/14 at 19:18:39

You got a new pipe on there in the updated pics, nick_the_human.
What is it, are you happy with it, how does it sound, did you have to rejet?

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
nickthe_human

Arkansas
Reply #12 - 06/09/14 at 11:36:13

Tocsik, it's an EMGO Reverse Cone Shorty. The same one Ryca uses. So far I like it. We've had a lot of rain here, so only a short ride so far with it. I already have new packing ordered and I am thinking about adding another crumb cup inside. It is only slightly quieter than my old turn out pipe, but a lot less annoying for sure. It is pointed out back instead of to the right, which was annoying to me, let alone civilians, on longer rides. I like the tone much better, also. Hopefully by the end of the week my stuff will be in and i'll get a chance to ride it some more.

these are the two videos that were the deciding factor on sound for me, and it sounds better in person
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5r6rhQiT-k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-nknEIXa84

I didn't have to rejet, but I had already put in a 150 main jet from Lancer's kit a little while back. I am running stock airbox. Once I add another crumb cup I might have to go back to stock jetting, not sure yet. But as of right now it runs great, and with the new muffler and the 150 main, there's hardly any afterfire on decel, shifting or shutoff. So i'm happy with that.

2005 S40
WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 06/09/14 at 14:12:41

If you open the EMGO up....I betcha this is what you will find.  A little bit of packing at the very back of the muffler.

I think the best approach to this is forget the packing, and put a 1-15/16" or 1-25/32" freeze plug in the center of the perforated tube (not sure which one fits best yet).  The muffler will then be converted to a baffled muffler instead of a glass pack.  The freeze plug can either be welded in - or screwed or pop riveted it you want to try it temporarily.

I will be modifying this one that was and see how it does.  The freeze plug will force the exhaust to exit the front half of the perforated tube and flow into the chrome shell, and once the exhaust passes the freeze plug it will than have to pass back through the perforated tube to exit the back of the muffler.  It will work like this muffler I made - however this one requires the exhaust to pass in and out the tubes twice....which makes it nice and quiet.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
nickthe_human

Arkansas
Reply #14 - 06/10/14 at 08:12:13

Yea, there was hardly any packing when it was shipped. And from what I had read I was already expecting it to burn out quick.

When you say freezer plug, what are you talking about? Sorry i'm clueless on that one. Sounds like the crumb cup mod maybe? Its the Ryca mod. Essentially a sink strainer welded, screwed, etc in the end.

I have one at the end of the baffle already, and when my new packing comes in, I am going to put another one in a little ways from the opening of baffle. Including the stock plate about center, that will be three walls the sound has to hit and be reflected out into the packing and back into tube to get out of the pipe. So hopefully that quietens it enough. And if not, I can deal with it how it is, just trying to be a nice neighbor.

2005 S40
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 08:28:02

General CategoryThe Cafe › New Handlebars!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.