Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Yet another windshield thread (Read 222 times)
NV1P
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Connecticut
Yet another windshield thread
05/20/14 at 17:23:18

Hi all,

I realize there are a lot of threads where a lot of questions have been asked, but I couldn't find the answers to mine.
I'm thinking of getting some sort of wind deflecting doohicky in the hopes that it would not only prevent having to fight the wind at 60MPH but also help with helmet noise. Can putting something on the front of the bike help?
The other thing is how would putting something on the front effect my passenger? Would she also get the benefits from it?
I figure that before I work on anything engine-wise on my entirely too stock S40 I should make it rideable above 30  Grin

Thanks,
Sam

IP Logged
ihasabike

^^ihasapicofit!

Re: Yet another windshield thread
Reply #1 - 05/20/14 at 19:19:12

From this thread:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1398884483/12

I think it can be appreciated that a properly sized and installed windshield protects the body, but not the head, from wind, while avoiding funneling the wind in such a manner that the head buffets.  Based on that, I doubt that it helps with helmet noise.  There are a bunch of recent articles about wind noise, the inability of most helmets to protect from it adequately, and the immediate and lasting damage that it can do.  As laid out in the following article, earplugs are your best bet.  I use the foamies because they offer more protection than the custom ones, but a lot of people prefer the customs for long term comfort.

http://www.motorcycleforum.com/123842/hearing-loss-is-linked-to-motorcycle-ri...

As far as a passenger is concerned, I doubt the windshield will offer more shelter for the passenger than is already provided by the body of the driver.  But I don't know for sure.

K/N Filter; Tachometer; Raptor Petcock; Engine Guard; Highway Pegs; Windshield; GT Grips; Shot Filled Dragbars; Saddle Bags and Supports; 12V Outlet
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #2 - 05/21/14 at 00:04:56

A properly fitting Fulmer AF S75 3/4 shell kills about 95% of the wind noise AND dampens the woodpeckers trapped in an empty steel oil drum sound of a Savage engine at over 40 mph. Wore mine the other day for the first time in years, cold rainy night ride home from work. Vents closed, rear "neck gasket" in place. My hair and ears were warm and dry, can't say that about anywhere else on me that night...

If you wear a half helmet, the windshield does nothing to quell road noise. Or engine noise.

YOU are the passenger's wind block.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #3 - 05/21/14 at 07:55:20

NV1P wrote on 05/20/14 at 17:23:18:
...  prevent having to fight the wind at 60MPH but also help with helmet noise. Can putting something on the front of the bike help?....
You can use just about any universal screen.  How much wind do you want to block? :

I have used the first two.  The Flyscreen eased the wind pressure on the body.  At highway speeds I needed goggles, sun glasses not good.
The Street Shield left me with the wind in the hair, not in the face, mere sun glasses okay.

I wear a half helmet in Nanny States.  At over 40 mph I NEED ear plugs.  Without a helmet I don't need the ear plugs, at least up to 70 mph which is as fast as I need to go.

Check Max Morley's LT650, the Light Tourer:

WWW   IP Logged
YoungSavage

everyone knows I'm
home by the KA-POW!

Monterey, California
Reply #4 - 05/21/14 at 08:35:12

I have the fourth shield that paladin posted. If you're tall like me, 6'2", then I would go with something smaller or larger than that one. Because of the height of the shield and how tall I sit the wind comes over the shield and right onto my head. Causing excess noise and some buffeting. After playing with it a bit I've decreased that, but it's still noticeable. I'm also wearing a full helmet if that helps. Does ease some pressure of the head though which is nice.

1988 Stock, mixture screw out 2 turns, seat lift mod, elevation= sea level, main jet=155 pilot jet=55
  IP Logged
NV1P
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Connecticut
Reply #5 - 05/23/14 at 17:35:10

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm 5'6", so I wouldn't need something all that tall. I guess I'll just have to find a quieter helmet. I'm always in a full face helmet, so I guess I'm probably overly sensitive to any noise since my hearing is my livelihood. The main problem with ear plugs is that I'm also using an intercom to talk to my girlfriend when she's riding, and it's really hard to hear what she's saying if my ears are blocked.

Oh well, I'll find something. At least the rest of me is going to be more comfortable with a windshield.

IP Logged
ihasabike

^^ihasapicofit!

Reply #6 - 05/23/14 at 18:38:53

Can you plug in ear headphones into your intercom?  If so, you might benefit from some noise isolation in ear headphones or some in ear noise canceling headphones,

K/N Filter; Tachometer; Raptor Petcock; Engine Guard; Highway Pegs; Windshield; GT Grips; Shot Filled Dragbars; Saddle Bags and Supports; 12V Outlet
  IP Logged
NV1P
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Connecticut
Reply #7 - 05/24/14 at 12:14:37

ihasabike wrote on 05/23/14 at 18:38:53:
Can you plug in ear headphones into your intercom?  If so, you might benefit from some noise isolation in ear headphones or some in ear noise canceling headphones,

Sadly, I can't. It's bluetooth only, and the expense of trying to tap into that would be prohibitive for me.

I was looking at the Slipstreamer Spitfire and was about to buy it, but one of the amazon reviews says it doesn't fit newer S40s. I have a 2006. Anyone have an idea why it wouldn't fit?

IP Logged
mcdave
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/24/14 at 20:13:41

ordered the slipstreamer  here today http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/29101/i/slip-streamer-spitfire-windshield  price here was $11 less than amazon and they
say it will fit my 2012 s40. i'll post a pic when it comes and i get it on the bike. Smiley

IP Logged
ihasabike

^^ihasapicofit!

Reply #9 - 05/28/14 at 05:46:44

I tried riding my husband's honda shadow saber with its 20 inch tall aftermarket windshield (at shortest point from cutout above headlight).  That windshield actually put the wind over my head and significantly reduced wind noise.  However, I was looking through it, not over it, which I suppose might not be safe for driving in the rain.  I plan to never ride in the rain, so I ordered a 19 inch high National Cycles Custom Heavy Duty Windshield.  I'm 5'7", and I checked that the mounting point for the windshield on my bike is waist high when I'm sitting on it, same as on my husband's bike.  So I think it should achieve a similar result.

http://shop.nationalcycle.com/perl/cycle/N2220  

Once you add the mounting hardware, it's over $300.  Sad

The street shield is 18 inches, quick release, and half the price, but it only fits savages, not s40s.  I called and verified that.

The less expensive option in a taller shield would be the 18.25 inch high Dakota 4.5.

http://shop.nationalcycle.com/perl/cycle/N2304

But once you add the mounting hardware, it's still $260, and you are giving up on having hard coated polycarbonate material.

The next step down would appear to be the 20.5 inch high Dakota 3.0.  It's also an acrylic screen that is much thinner than the 4.5.  It comes with mounting hardware for the relatively low price of $180.

http://shop.nationalcycle.com/perl/cycle/N2310

So if that slipstreamer doesn't work out for you, there are other options out there.  I just don't know of a tall windshield that is as affordable as the slipstreamer.

IP Logged
mcdave
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 05/30/14 at 11:06:45

Got my slipstreamer today.$65 and free shipping but see now the free shipping has gone away. 1/2 hour to put it on. short ride and noticed some buffeting at eye level. raised it an inch 1/2 and set angle a little less than fork. second ride@ 70 much better,hitting just above eyel level  and minimal vibration. i am 5'8" and the windshield is 15". the brake reservoir would make it difficult to set it any lower,ie on the headlamp but i think this will be ok. here is a  pic

WP_001826.jpg
  IP Logged
mcdave
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 05/30/14 at 11:07:07

one more pic

WP_001825.jpg
  IP Logged
mcdave
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 05/30/14 at 11:26:53

it was cheaper to get it with the black hardware. in hindsight, the chrome option would have been nice.

IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #13 - 05/30/14 at 14:15:26

suzy Q windshield

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
kennemarv1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

daytona beach, fl
Reply #14 - 05/30/14 at 17:23:31

I'm 5'6" and use the Slipstreamer Hellfire. It is adjusted so it pushes the wind up to the top of my helmet. Works great for me.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 05:30:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Yet another windshield thread

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.